Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2013, 12:56   #31
BHPian

Just back from the trip route taken blr nh4 harihar hirekerur siddapur jog junction honnavar murdeshwar bhatkal kargal jog falls siddapur hirekerur ranebanur nh4 blr will post a separate travelogue as soon as I process the pictures
Old 11th October 2013, 12:19   #32
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Last week, did a trip from Bangalore-Sringeri-Udupi-Gokarna-Jog falls-Shimoga-Bangalore

Sringeri-Udupi via Karkala, overall road condition is good, patchy roads in some places near Karkala
NH17 - Udupi to Murudeshwara - Road is good, with lots of diversions between Udupi and Kundapura. From Kundapura to Murudeshwara the road is average, with bad to very bad stretches in between with huge potholes and craters.

Murudeshwara - Honnavar - Jog falls: Road condition is good
Take a right at Honnavar to Jog, Road becomes narrow as you pass through towards Jog but road condition is good.

Jog - Sagara - Shimoga - Chirtradurga - Bangalore - Good roads.
ark_rover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 10:43   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
Last week, did a trip from Bangalore-Sringeri-Udupi-Gokarna-Jog falls-Shimoga-Bangalore
how is the water level at Jog falls? I am thinking of a trip on 1st Nov 2013. I hope not to be disappointed with less water flow.
Old 15th October 2013, 12:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
how is the water level at Jog falls? I am thinking of a trip on 1st Nov 2013. I hope not to be disappointed with less water flow.
There was a post on Bangalore - Goa route thread by someone that last week water level was low. Since there was no rain afterwards I guess it will be staying the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I traveled to Jog on 06/10 and the water level was very average. It wasn't really bad, but then we couldn't see it in its full glory to get a feel of the fall. But the plus side is that you could get to the bottom of the falls since the water level is low.

Otherwise, There is a laser show every night by 7.30 pm that lasts for about 20 mins which is an excitement for the kids.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 14:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I was there on Oct 7th, and as luvurride mentioned, the fall was average and water was little bit more than a trickle (little disappointing actually because we went with big expectations). I expect it may further thin down during November, I am not sure though. Will try to post some pics soon.
ark_rover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 17:33   #37
BANNED

Thanks for your responses. I might postpone my trip to the next rainy season .
Old 15th October 2013, 22:51   #38
BHPian

I am planning a drive from Kochi to Jog falls, then to Mahabaleswar and Aurangabad on Oct 25th. The plan is to go via Nilambur, Mysore and halt at CR Patna for 1st night.
Day 2, proceed via Arsikere, Shimoga to Jog falls. After seeing the falls move on to Sirsi for night halt. (No particular reason for choosing Sirsi except some sights/places around /nearby)
Day 3 proceed to Mahabaleswar.

I would be happy to receive feedback on the following

1) Options for stay at CR Patna ( self & wife) or nearby alternatives
2) I have read in some posts about Hotels Madhuvan and Panchavati at Sirsi. will advance booking be required?
3) Best route to reach NH 4 from Jog falls (in which case an alternate night halt is required) or from Sirsi.

Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 23:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post

I would be happy to receive feedback on the following
Thanks

There aren't any decent stay options in CRPatna that I'm aware of. Your best bet would be Hassan which is 40km from here, but on a good 4 lane shouldn't take you more than 30mins. There are plenty of options here based on your budget. Tripadvisor should be handy in picking the right one.
From Hassan, you could catch the NH206 at Arsikere or drive to Chikamagalur and join the NH at Tarikere.

2) I have read in some posts about Hotels Madhuvan and Panchavati at Sirsi. will advance booking be required?

If you aren't particular about Sirsi, try this: http://matthuga.in/index.php. This is a wonderful homestay tucked in the western ghats about 8km before Jog bang on the NH206. I stayed there last weekend and can vouch. Advance booking is required though.

3) Best route to reach NH 4 from Jog falls (in which case an alternate night halt is required) or from Sirsi.

The best is to get on the Karwar-Hubli highway at Yellapur and join the NH4 at Hubli.

On a relative note, any reason why you aren't taking the NH17 all the way up the coast to Jog?
Old 16th October 2013, 00:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
I was there on Oct 7th, and as luvurride mentioned, the fall was average and water was little bit more than a trickle (little disappointing actually because we went with big expectations). I expect it may further thin down during November, I am not sure though. Will try to post some pics soon.
Actually, I was there on the night of 06th and the morning of 7th. Maybe we missed out or might've crossed paths as I drove towards Honavar on the 7th!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
1)
[i]There aren't any decent stay options in CRPatna that I'm aware of.
==============
On a relative note, any reason why you aren't taking the NH17 all the way up the coast to Jog?
Thanks luvurride for the valuable suggestions. I will review the options. After Jog I prefer staying on the route towards NH4 to keep the drive to less than 500 km on day 3.

Regarding not taking the NH 17 route- I had traveled till Goa in Jan and to Kazargode in May. The road was bad in many places with heavy traffic. Also Bhatkal Jog road is also no good, I understand. Added to these as I have not taken the NH 206 before, wanted to take a different route with not much more distance.
Old 5th January 2014, 14:07   #42
BHPian

Moderator note: Fixing Quotes, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post

There aren't any decent stay options in CRPatna that I'm aware of. Your best bet would be Hassan which is 40km from here, but on a good 4 lane shouldn't take you more than 30mins. There are plenty of options here based on your budget. Tripadvisor should be handy in picking the right one.
From Hassan, you could catch the NH206 at Arsikere or drive to Chikamagalur and join the NH at Tarikere.
I had made the trip to Jog falls on Oct 25th 13, startting from Kochi on 24th and staying the night at Chennarayapatna. The place was Aadya Comforts, right on NH 48 to Hassan and about 2 km from CRpatna. They have decent and well maintained rooms at reasonable rates with a good restaurant also.

Jogfalls was bit of a disappointment as water flow was very little.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th January 2014 at 14:18.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:17   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post
Jogfalls was bit of a disappointment as water flow was very little.
For Jog the ideal season is July/Aug. And getting to Jog in that season with lots of vacation is difficult as its also school time and does sync-up well with that.

Last edited by ampere : 5th January 2014 at 18:19.
Old 26th August 2014, 02:10   #44
BHPian

I would like to have your advice for my road trip as per below plan. Plan is start from Bangalore to Ooty to Coimbatore to Mangalore to Udupi to Karwar to Jog falls to Sakelshpur to Bangalore.

First leg is planned and since Coimbatore is my native I need to visit CBE first. Now my query is on the second leg, how do I travel from CBE to Mangalore (Either via Kerala roads or via Madekeri, I'm more inclined via Kerala roads, if it is good) and also what all areas I can cover with in 5 days from Mangalore to Sakelshpur by covering the above places (28-Sep I will start from CBE and 3-Oct I will be in Sakelshpur). I will be travelling in my Manza with my family(Self, wife and 2 years old kid) .
Old 26th August 2014, 09:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
Now my query is on the second leg, how do I travel from CBE to Mangalore (Either via Kerala roads or via Madekeri, I'm more inclined via Kerala roads, if it is good)
That 400+ km via Kerala would take a huge time, considering you would be driving through heavy traffic all the way. From that point of view, I think, Mysore/Coorg may be a better option.

Quote:
what all areas I can cover with in 5 days from Mangalore to Sakelshpur by covering the above places (28-Sep I will start from CBE and 3-Oct I will be in Sakelshpur). I will be travelling in my Manza with my family(Self, wife and 2 years old kid) .
The drive to and back from Karwar would eat out 1 day from your plan. It would be a touch a go every where, esp if you plan to visit Udupi too. I would say in the case drop Karwar. From Udupi, go to Murdeshwar/Jog and then come back Sakleshpur before driving back to Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks