Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 16:07   #226
BHPian

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Did the regular Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti - Sethiathoppu - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam - Papanasam over the weekend and here are the updates.
1. The toll before Vikravandi turnoff on NH45 is attricious. Had to pay Rs. 70 eventhough I am going to use part of it.
2. The roads between Vikravandi - Panruti - Sethiathoppu is ok. No potholes but since there are multiple layers could not really go beyond 70KMPH.
3. Only 15 Kms before Anaikarai does the road really improve. They become wide and could speed up a bit.
4. Had to wait my turn to cross the twin bridge across Anaikarai. No major hold ups. Well managed with local traffic doing their bit to ensure discipline to unruly outside cabs / flag bearing vehicles.

Took me total of 2.5 hours to do this stretch (Vikravandi - KMU / 11:20 AM till 2 PM with 10 min break for shopping in Panruti town).

Had some work in Thanjavur so had to travel back to Chennai via Trichy. Took me 5 hours 10 mins (exluding stoppage time) from Thanjavur including the mad rush at each toll plaza while coming back while it took me more to Kumbakonam despite less distance. Turns out this is faster to Thirukarugavoor if you are ok with travelling the extra distance unless you are travelling by an SUV / Van where it would take more time to travel via a Trichy because of the distance.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:14   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
1. The toll before Vikravandi turnoff on NH45 is attricious. Had to pay Rs. 70 eventhough I am going to use part of it.
The same holds good for the Thoppur toll too. If you come via Hosur/Krishnagiri or Hosur/Rayakottai/Palacode you bump into Thoppur toll plaza. If the latter happens to be the case, then for nothing you are forced to pay Rs 83 for a single trip.
Old 21st April 2014, 17:58   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Turns out this is faster to Thirukarugavoor if you are ok with travelling the extra distance unless you are travelling by an SUV / Van where it would take more time to travel via a Trichy because of the distance.
Its faster no doubt. But this route also has its own quirks. The time taken from NH67 GST exit till the first toll plaza on NH67 (just beyond NIT) can be quite painful depending on the time of day. Beyond that its smooth sailing. And also instead of getting into the Tanjore city, drive till the end of 4-lane and go through last 5-6 km of single lane byass to get out of Tanjore on to NH45C (KMU road). This works much faster than getting into Tanjore city. You also don't lose any distance due to the bypass.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2014 at 18:02.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:58   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Beyond that its smooth sailing. And also instead of getting into the Tanjore city, drive till the end of 4-lane and go through last 5-6 km of single lane byass to get out of Tanjore on to NH45C (KMU road). This works much faster than getting into Tanjore city. You also don't lose any distance due to the bypass.
For Thirukarugavur, the better option from Trichy would be continue on NH 67 towards Nagapattinam beyond Tanjore and take left at Saliyamangalam. From here it is 10 kms on a country road which though narrow is traffic free.
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:08   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For Thirukarugavur, the better option from Trichy would be continue on NH 67 towards Nagapattinam beyond Tanjore and take left at Saliyamangalam. From here it is 10 kms on a country road which though narrow is traffic free.
Yes. NH67 is a belter of a road now. Even beyond Tanjore, the road is quite good. The issue starts only at Needamangalam. There are multiple railway crossings and also the road meanders a lot. But the road condition over is very good.

Trivia : Since NH67 starts all the way from Gundlupet in Karnataka, its quite surprising to see a milestone marked Mysore in Nedamangalam !
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:12   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Trivia : Since NH67 starts all the way from Gundlupet in Karnataka, its quite surprising to see a milestone marked Mysore in Nedamangalam !
Infact while commuting on the Kangeyam-Palladam road, one can see the distance indicated for Chamarajanagar on a white stone on the left side. As you rightly pointed out NH67 starts all the way from Nagapattinam to Gundlupet
Old 6th July 2014, 12:09   #232
BHPian

Need to be in Tirukadaiyur coming weekend. Need to best option to hit Chidambaram from Chennai as I have to use ECR from thereon to reach Tirukadaiyur. I see the below options
1. Chennai - Tindivanam - Pondicherry - Cuddalore - Chidambaram
2. Chennai - Tindivanam - Vikravandi - Panruti - Sethiyathoppu - Bhuvanagiri - Chidambaram
3. Chennai - Tindivanam - Ulundurpet - Virudachalam - Sethiyathoppu - Bhuvanagiri - Chidambaram

Please let me know.
Old 6th July 2014, 12:26   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Chennai - Tindivanam - Vikravandi - Panruti - Sethiyathoppu - Bhuvanagiri - Chidambaram
I hear the Vikravandi has been relaid and is very good to drive. So surely not the Pondicherry option as that would slow you down. Take the Vikravandi option. See post #210 of this thread.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 11:18   #234
BHPian

Thanks Ampere! I did use the Vikravandi route (post 226) and while I found the road to be ok, it slowed me down because it is still bumpy in most stretches. What I wanted to know is whether Ulundurpet-Vridachalam-Sethiathope-Bhuvanagiri is a better alternative. I understand Pondy-Chidambaram is going to be congested.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:23   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere! I did use the Vikravandi route (post 226) and while I found the road to be ok, it slowed me down because it is still bumpy in most stretches. What I wanted to know is whether Ulundurpet-Vridachalam-Sethiathope-Bhuvanagiri is a better alternative. I understand Pondy-Chidambaram is going to be congested.
I hear the Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam section is also slowly turning worse. A recent update from someone would surely help.
Old 12th July 2014, 17:02   #236
BHPian

Went ahead with option 3. Started from my home near Medavakkam at 9:30 AM.
1. Used Medavakkam-Mambakkam Road to join Kelambakkam-Vandalur Road and then join GST.
2. Took me 3 hours to reach Ulundurpet. Went inside town to take the road to Vridachalam as I was told the connecting road from NH45 is pothole ridden. Did not loose time. Road condition is good except for mild unevenness in road surface. The ROB near Vridachalam Railway station is still not complete. Expect bottlenecks during gate closure. Also the roads around the ROB are bad and needs to be negotiated carefully.
3. Since vridachalam has a byepass only for Veppur - Neyveli road, had to go inside town to find the road to Sethiathope. Road conditions bad to average with the top surface broken at several places. can manage top speed of 70-80 KMPH in daytime on non-broken surface.
4. Sethiathope - Bhuvanagiri- roads are good to ok with patch work being made by PWD when I travelled on 10-Jul
5. Chidambaram - Thirukkadaiyur - Roads are well-marked for two lane traffic with no shoulder and then suddenly in some places it shrinks to 1.5 lane which can make you get stuck behind slow moving traffic. No potholes though.

Timings
Onward:
9:30 AM - Start from Home
12:30 PM - Turned left at Ulundurpet for Vridachalam
1:45 PM - Reach Chidambaram. Break for Lunch for 45 mins
3:20 PM- Reach Tirukkadaiyur
Return:
1:00 PM - Start from Tirukkadaiyur
3:20 PM - Reach Ulundurpet A2B. Break for Cofee & Fuel
7:10 PM - Reach home after encountering heavy traffic after Paranur toll.

Last edited by DWind : 12th July 2014 at 17:06.
Old 18th September 2014, 18:14   #237
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a trip to Kumbakonam next week, over the long weekend of October 2nd/3rd.

We will be going to Vridhdhachalam temple and then going to Kumbakonam. To be exact, we will be going to Kolanjiapar temple near Vridhachalam

Hows this route -

Vridhachalam - Andimadam - Jayankondam - T.Palur - Karaikuruchi - Devanancheri - Asur - Kumbakonam (Hotel Vinayaga - Opposite Railway Station)

Suggestions please.
Old 18th September 2014, 20:10   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Vridhachalam - Andimadam - Jayankondam - T.Palur - Karaikuruchi - Devanancheri - Asur - Kumbakonam (Hotel Vinayaga - Opposite Railway Station)
That is the best possible option. Go ahead and take the route. A bit rough towards Vridhachalam. (And need I even mention about the traffic! )
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 00:16   #239
Senior - BHPian

Instead of Vikravandi- Panruti, you can take Arasur - Panruti or Madapattu - Panruti. The road is good and not at all bumpy like the vikravandi stretch.

I do this stretch every other weekend.
Old 19th September 2014, 07:41   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Instead of Vikravandi- Panruti, you can take Arasur - Panruti or Madapattu - Panruti. The road is good and not at all bumpy like the vikravandi stretch.

I do this stretch every other weekend.
He heads to Vridhachalam first. (I hope he takes the Ulunderpet route till there).

Most Viewed