Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 09:54   #31
BHPian

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Per one of my relatives in Kumbakonam, work is on to strenthen the anaikarai bridge. Expected to be completed in 1 months time and will be open to cars & buses (no lorries). Work on the bridge to Jayamkondan is also going on in full speed.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:34   #32
BHPian

Thanks Sridhar... It will be great if you get updates from your relatives after the work is completed and the vehicles are allowed back on and post it. It will be a great help.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
DWind: As others suggested that is the best route. You can either take ECR to pondy or go via Tambaram-Tindivanam. My dad did Chennai- Mayiladutharai via Tindivanam -Pondy-Cuddalore in a wagonR last week and took 4 hrs. Per him, the Tindivanam-Pondy stretch is in great shape bypassing most towns. On the Cuddalore to Mayiladuthurai, Chidambaram town could be bypassed but Sirkali bypass is only half ready. The road is okay but one cannot maintain good speed due to potholes. Just need to ensure that you don't cross Pondy/Cuddalore during peak hours to reach there quickly.
Thanks Sridhar. The trip got postponed and I will be going to Mayiladuthurai this weekend. Will be starting from Chennai at 4 AM. Hope to reach before 9 AM.
BTW from Sirkazhi should I take the route via Vaitheeswaran koil or should I continue on NH45 A and then branch off later?

Last edited by DWind : 6th April 2011 at 12:08.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:17   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Thanks Sridhar. The trip got postponed and I will be going to Mayiladuthurai this weekend. Will be starting from Chennai at 4 AM. Hope to reach before 9 AM.
BTW from Sirkazhi should I take the route via Vaitheeswaran koil or should I continue on NH45 A and then branch off later?
I think the Vaitheeswaran koil route would be better, as it has much less traffic. I have not gone on that route for quite some time. Hence my info may be old.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the Vaitheeswaran koil route would be better, as it has much less traffic. I have not gone on that route for quite some time. Hence my info may be old.
Yes ampere, the vaitheeswaran koil route is better choice with less traffic.

Also, if you want a break for good food, you can stop at Hotel Sathabishegam in vaitheeswaran koil, which is decent enough. It is next to Bharat petrol bunk on the way to Mayavaram.

-Ravi
Old 6th April 2011, 15:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Yes ampere, the vaitheeswaran koil route is better choice with less traffic.

Also, if you want a break for good food, you can stop at Hotel Sathabishegam in vaitheeswaran koil, which is decent enough. It is next to Bharat petrol bunk on the way to Mayavaram.

-Ravi
And so are views. When I had been, it was lush green with slight rain.
It was an amazing weather and so was the drive!
Old 6th April 2011, 16:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^
If one wants to experience twisties in the plains, nothing to beat this route!

I had breakfast at this Hotel Sadhabishekam last May and liked it.
Old 11th April 2011, 16:27   #38
BHPian

Just back from a Chennai-Tiruchi-Kumbakonam-Chennai on my Manza.

Chennai- Tiruchi - 5 hrs including break for Diesel (10 mins) & breakfast at A2B at Ulundurpettai(0.5 hrs).

Samayapuram- Thanjavur- Tiruchi - 2 hrs 15 mins. Tiruchi-Thanjavur is four laned and pretty good to drive (speeds of 120 possible). Toll booths are being readied. Issue is that you find vehicles coming towards you (including bikes & trucks) on the right most lane on your side of the dividor. Thanjavur-Kumbakonam is the same winding road with so much traffic and patches & mild pot holes

Kumbakonam - Chennai via Mayiladuthurai- Pondy. Started at 11:30 AM. The road between Kumbakonam & Vaithesswaran Koil similar to Thanjavur- Kumbakonam. Sirkazhi bypass's northern half is open and one has to come into town for the rest of the section. The Sirkazhi -Cuddalore was pretty decent and was able to do 70-80 Kmph for most part.

Lunch break at Ananda Bhavan near Cuddalore bridge (at 2:30 PM) and would recommend the place. The other good place for lunch is MAMS in Mayiladuthurai. Cuddalore-Pondy Road was in good condition but being two laned and traffic, had to slow down. 4 laned Pondy- Tindivanam is very good (toll booths getting ready) and was able to maintain 120 for most parts.

Got stuck up at Tambaram (near the overbridge) for close to 45 mins and reached home at 6:30 PM
Old 11th April 2011, 20:07   #39
Team-BHP Support

Any reason, why you choose Mayavaram/Sirkazi/Pondy route and not the one via Panruti?
Any issues with 45C? Or its just that ECR is much better (though its crowded)?
Old 12th April 2011, 11:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Any reason, why you choose Mayavaram/Sirkazi/Pondy route and not the one via Panruti?
Any issues with 45C? Or its just that ECR is much better (though its crowded)?
Because
1) The Anaikarai bridge is closed for traffic which means the only way is via Chidambaram
2) Heard from people that Panruti-Vikravandi and Sethiyathoppe-Vadalur sections of NH45C is not in very good shape. Chidambaram-Cuddalore-Pondy-Chennai stretch is in decent condition.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Because
1) The Anaikarai bridge is closed for traffic which means the only way is via Chidambaram
2) Heard from people that Panruti-Vikravandi and Sethiyathoppe-Vadalur sections of NH45C is not in very good shape. Chidambaram-Cuddalore-Pondy-Chennai stretch is in decent condition.
Great updates Sridhar.... Thanks for sharing.. It seems the cars allowed through a alt road on the river sand bed below the Anaikarai Bridge. It is a decent hardened surface, my cousin yesterday updated me. But as far the rest of the route(45C) till vikravandi is not in good shape.

Venkatesh
Old 15th April 2011, 10:50   #42
BHPian

^^^Thanks. My neighbor did a trip to Neyveli and he took the Villupuram-Panruti road instead of the Vikravandi Panruti route. He mentioned that this is better though longer option.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
^^^Thanks. My neighbor did a trip to Neyveli and he took the Villupuram-Panruti road instead of the Vikravandi Panruti route. He mentioned that this is better though longer option.
Folks
Did a the Chennai-Kumbakonam route this weekend. Anakarai bridge is fully closed. Short term "tharai palam" has been washed away after rains. The only route now is thru Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladhuthurai.

No idea when the Jayamkondam bridge will be completed
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:58   #44
Team-BHP Support

That bridge is on a NH right ? (227?)

Is there no traffic on that section? State Buses, Private Vehicles etc?
Its surprising that this is taking so much time!
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
That bridge is on a NH right ? (227?)

Is there no traffic on that section? State Buses, Private Vehicles etc?
Its surprising that this is taking so much time!
Yes, it is on the NH. Better option would be the Jayamkondam - Kumbakonam when it comes !!

Most Viewed