Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 21:41   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My dad did a Chennai-Thirunallar-Thiruvarur, Mannargudi-Kumbakonam-anaikarai-panruti-Chennai trip last week. Per him, Chennai-Tindivanam-Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Thirunallar is usual (not bad) but Anaikarai-Vikravandi was very bad with the Vadalur -panruti stretch horrible. The Anaikarai bridge has been beefed up, signals installed to allow up and down alternative movement and expected to be opened for buses shortly.
Thanks this is good info. So its only re-enforcing? I thought they were re-doing the whole
thing. But looks like in spite of this, Vikravandi-Panruti-Kumbakonam is not a good option.

Any work/plans on the part of the govt, to improve this stretch?
Old 26th December 2011, 11:19   #77
BHPian

^^ There seems to be no concrete plan on the cards to improve this stretch.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks this is good info. So its only re-enforcing? I thought they were re-doing the whole
thing. But looks like in spite of this, Vikravandi-Panruti-Kumbakonam is not a good option.

Any work/plans on the part of the govt, to improve this stretch?
I think the better alternate route is Madras-Pondy-Cuddalore-KMU with excellent to decent roads throughout.

GM shows Chennai, Tamil Nadu to Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayavaram-KMU is also a good choice in current road conditions.

-Ravi
Old 26th December 2011, 12:04   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayavaram-KMU is also a good choice in current road conditions.
I think this is the better option, instead of the Anaikarai route. The difference is hardly 30-35 km. But with good roads, this should be much smoother.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:51   #80
BHPian

Thanks Sridhar. thats a very nice update and much needed. Since the vikravandi - anaikarai road is bad i think we can try chennai - ulundurpet - vridachalam - jayamkondan - anaiakarai should be a better option. the only problem on chidambaram route is the heavy traffic between pondy - chidambaram - mayavaram - kumbakonam.. 2 much traffic restriciting the speed.

Quote:
My dad did a Chennai-Thirunallar-Thiruvarur, Mannargudi-Kumbakonam-anaikarai-panruti-Chennai trip last week. Per him, Chennai-Tindivanam-Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Thirunallar is usual (not bad) but Anaikarai-Vikravandi was very bad with the Vadalur -panruti stretch horrible. The Anaikarai bridge has been beefed up, signals installed to allow up and down alternative movement and expected to be opened for buses shortly.

Just returned from Chennai -Samayapuram- Tanjavur trip via Tiruchi bypass. Took 5 4.50 minutes on the return including a 10 mins break at Ulundurpettai. The only bottleneck experienced was the Tiruchi bypass-Thiruverumbur stretch.

Stayed at hotel Ramnath in Thanjavur near the new bus stand, had food in their restaurant and the experience was very good.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 15:55   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Thanks Sridhar. thats a very nice update and much needed. Since the vikravandi - anaikarai road is bad i think we can try chennai - ulundurpet - vridachalam - jayamkondan - anaiakarai should be a better option.
Thats a very good suggestion Venki. Even I was averse to using the Chidambaram route owing to traffic.

How is the road and traffic Ulundurpet-Jayamkondam SH?
(Should be definitely less than ECR!)
Old 29th December 2011, 06:37   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a very good suggestion Venki. Even I was averse to using the Chidambaram route owing to traffic.

How is the road and traffic Ulundurpet-Jayamkondam SH?
(Should be definitely less than ECR!)
Hello Ampere,

I spoke to my cousin who went to gangai konda cholapuram last month. He says the traffic is not that heavy. road conditions are good between ulundurpet till vridachalam. after that it is okay and manageable. the distance between Ulundurpet till sethiyarthope kootu road is about 50 kms and can be manged much better than Vikravandi - panruti - Sethiyarthope which is about 75 kms. I am planning to drive through this route next month, will post the update.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 17:27   #83
BHPian

I just traveled this stretch 2 days back from Kumbakonam to Chennai. I took Kumbakonam - Anaikarai - Jayankondam - Vridachallam - Ulundurpet - Chennai NH. The ride is smooth for the entire stretch almost except for a very few pot holes between Vridachalam-Ulundurpet. You may do 10 Kms more on this stretch and the drive is pleasant. There is a nice hotel at Vridachalam near the bus stand - Hotel Archana for South Indian food.
sethu.murali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 21:40   #84
BHPian

^^Good option but hear that there are questions about safety on the Vridachalam-Jayamkondan-Anaikarai stretch at odd hours. There were couple of reports of robbery on SETC buses on the stretch some 6-8 months back and hence I checked this with a driver of a tempo traveller (hailing from Jayamkondan) we had engaged. He also advised to avoid the stretch at odd hours.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 14:19   #85
BHPian

Thanks Sethu. Thats a great update. Can you provide the timings as well? We can see how long it takes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethu.murali View Post
I just traveled this stretch 2 days back from Kumbakonam to Chennai. I took Kumbakonam - Anaikarai - Jayankondam - Vridachallam - Ulundurpet - Chennai NH. The ride is smooth for the entire stretch almost except for a very few pot holes between Vridachalam-Ulundurpet. You may do 10 Kms more on this stretch and the drive is pleasant. There is a nice hotel at Vridachalam near the bus stand - Hotel Archana for South Indian food.
Old 31st December 2011, 14:30   #86
BHPian

I had the misfortune of travelling on the Chidambaram - Bhuvangiri-Vadalur - Vikaravandi road. Horrible. It took 4.5 hrs by the tempo traveler. With the recent cyclone this stretch would have become un motorable. High time this shame of a road , a NH too, is upgraded.
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 17:24   #87
BHPian

Some good news that I heard from family friends in Kumbakonam. Anaikarai bridge is officially opened for bus traffic from today. The relaying of Panruti route has also started and hence some of Chennai Kumbakonam buses are routed via Anaikarai Jayamkondan - ulundurpettai route.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 06:30   #88
BHPian

Thanks Sridhar. That is indeed a very good news.Hope the NHAI relays the vikravandi - anaikarai road quickly.

Quote:
Some good news that I heard from family friends in Kumbakonam. Anaikarai bridge is officially opened for bus traffic from today. The relaying of Panruti route has also started and hence some of Chennai Kumbakonam buses are routed via Anaikarai Jayamkondan - ulundurpettai route.
Old 19th January 2012, 15:10   #89
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard that only buses are allowed to ply. Is this true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethu.murali View Post
ook Kumbakonam - Anaikarai - Jayankondam - Vridachallam - Ulundurpet - Chennai NH. The ride is smooth for the entire stretch almost except for a very few pot holes between Vridachalam-Ulundurpet.There is a nice hotel at Vridachalam near the bus stand - Hotel Archana.
What is the distance from Ulundurpet to Anaikarai. Are cars allowed in the Anaikarai bridge now.

Quote:
He also advised to avoid the stretch at odd hours.
I think travelling can be done during day hours between 6 am to 6 pm.
Old 21st January 2012, 05:44   #90
BHPian

I think all vehicles are allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Heard that only buses are allowed to ply. Is this true.

What is the distance from Ulundurpet to Anaikarai. Are cars allowed in the Anaikarai bridge now.

I think travelling can be done during day hours between 6 am to 6 pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks