Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 10:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bhopal to Kolkata road route

This weekend I'll be visiting a friend in Bhopal. On our way back, we're planning to drive to Kolkata in his car. The road distance is approx 1400 kms. A few questions:

1. What would be the route?

2. Is it doable over 2 days? See, distance is not a factor. We're both seasoned long distance drivers. But security might be an issue if we have to drive after sunset.

3. Where should we halt for the night?

4. Any other specific pointers?

Would appreciate your replies here. We've really gotto confirm our plans by tomorrow. Thanks in advance

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 12th January 2011 at 10:11.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2011, 10:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bhopal to Kolkata road route

Answer to question 1: I can see two options:
  1. Via Jabalpur, then NH7 to Mirzapur, and join the NH2 to Kolkata. Night halt can be at Varanasi;
  2. Via Nagpur, then NH6 to Kolkata. Night halt at Bhilai or Raipur.
Answer to question 2: Security is a slight issue on both routes if you are driving at night. On route 1, I wouldn't like to be inside BR/JH at night. On route 2, I would not drive on at night east of Raipur because of Naxal issues. Take your pick.

Answer to question 3: Answered above.

Answer to question 4: Have a safe trip!
Old 12th January 2011, 12:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would not come all the way to Jabalpur, instead connecting from Bhopal via Sagar, Chhatarpur directly to Satna & Rewa. On Day 1 itself, I could reach either Rewa or Varanasi.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would not come all the way to Jabalpur, instead connecting from Bhopal via Sagar, Chhatarpur directly to Satna & Rewa. On Day 1 itself, I could reach either Rewa or Varanasi.
Sir,

I traveled on this route while driving from Pune to Lucknow in Feb 2009. The roads around Mahoba, Sagar and Chhatarpur were in extremely bad condition at the time, to the point of being non-existent.

Has there been any improvement since?

Cheers,
R_S
Old 12th January 2011, 12:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
Sir,

I traveled on this route while driving from Pune to Lucknow in Feb 2009. The roads around Mahoba, Sagar and Chhatarpur were in extremely bad condition at the time, to the point of being non-existent.

Has there been any improvement since?

Cheers,
R_S
Yes, now it is good for most parts (as per update from Nov-Dec), although Sagar-Chhatarpur is still not great.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2011, 21:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Have you left?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th January 2011, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Have you left?

Regards
Sutripta
Nope, trip got postponed. Why?
Old 20th January 2011, 16:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
How should Sutripta or anyone else know why the trip got postponed? That's for YOU to answer!
Old 20th January 2011, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Slightly unusual route. So would have requested you to log the route (HVK style). And in case you don't have a GPS, lent you mine.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th August 2012, 13:33   #10

Kolkata to Bhopal Roadtrip - Route advice required

Dear Fellow members,

We have just got our new Yeti Elegance and we are in love with the car. The idea of buying a SUV was to drive around and explore our country. We are a family of 3 - my wife, 8 year old son and myself. We are planning to drive down from Kolkata to Bhopal which is my in-laws place during Oct 2nd-3rd week.

This is our first ever roadtrip outside Kolkata. Have done shorter roadtrips from Bangalore to Ooty, Bangalore to Chennai-Pondicherry earlier, but Kolkata to Bhopal will be a longer haul roadtrip and am new to the roads/highways towards this part of the country.

As per the google maps & mapmyindia maps, could figure out the following route options:

Option 1: Kolkata - Varanasi (night stopover) - Rewa - Katni-Jabalpur-Bhopal

Option 2: Kolkata - Allahabad (night stopover) - Banda - Chattarpur - Sagar - Bhopal

Option 3: Kolkata - Raipur (night stopover) - Nagpur - Bhopal a- Concern on road quality from Kolkata - Raipur

While, I am confident that the NH2 road will be good to drive from Kolkata to Varanasi / Allahabad, my concern is on the drive thereafter. How are the roads from Allahabad to Bhopal? Do anyone have latest information on the road conditions and are they in good drive-able state?

Request fellow BHPians to suggest which option will be better for this planned roadtrip. Also, some tips on safety and places to stay / eat will be most welcome.

Thank you.

Regards

Team-MAD
Old 26th August 2012, 20:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Bhopal Roadtrip - Route advice required

While not being sure about the condition of the roads in your option no. 2, I can comment on the option no. 1, you've given.
On the road from Rewa - Bhopal, I have travelled on the Jabalpur- Katni stretch which is quite OK now. The Rewa - Katni stretch is also OK, as I could learn.
I will try to find out about the Jabalpur- Bhopal stretch from a friend. It was nothing so good about a decade back.
In the option no. 3 the Kolkata - Raipur stretch may have gremlins and surprises in the Orissa stretch. The Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra portions are quite OK. The Nagpur- Bhopal stretch is quite bad after one steps into M.P. from Maharashtra.There has been no improvement in the M.P. part of this road since two decades or so.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 10:14   #12
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Bhopal Roadtrip - Route advice required

Jabalpur Bhopal route: Dont go via Nh-12 as would be pointed out by most GPS. It would be full of pot holes. Leave a little early from Jabalpur and go via Jabalpur-Shahpura (Nh-12)-SH-22 Gotegaon -Narsimhapur-Gadarwara-Piparia-Hoshangabad-Nh-69-Budhni-Obaidullaganj-Mandideep-Bhopal. Though SH-22 would pass from all the towns, but is a toll road all the way till hoshangabad and is in good condition. Did this road in july.
Link to this route (around 340 kms-take 6 hrs for this stretch
Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India to Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India - Google Maps

Option-2. Chattarpur -Sagar and Sagar-Bhopal road is not in good condition.
Atleast in Option 1 & 2 i would choose option 1.
dave7377 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 13:50   #13
BHPian

Bhopal - Banaras Route

Hello BHPians,

My Bro's marriage is fixed in Feb 17 and the bride is from Banaras. We are planning to travel to Banaras from Bhopal in a bus as a Baraat.

We will be travelling in day time and are planning to leave Bhopal by 5 a.m so that we reach the destination by night. There will be around 50 people including all age groups.

Requesting you all the suggest the best possible route considering safety and Road conditions. Also some good places for taking breaks

Thanks,
Sid
Old 25th December 2020, 15:32   #14

Dear Fellow Members

I will be shifting from Kolkata to Bhopal in January 2021. I was wondering whether it would be advisable to drive down from Kolkata with my 60 year old parents, in my 5 month old Ignis. Should Varansi be a good place to stop over. Any route inputs would be helpful. The other option would be transport the car via movers and packers.

Thanks,
Souvik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks