Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 15:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Tirupati : Route Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Better idea to turn off NH5 at Chilakaluripet and go via Narasaropet to Piduguralla? Any idea what is the condition of that road?

Chilakaluripet - Narsaraopet road is an absolute no-no for now.

One has to revise the term 'pot holed'. It may be called 'well-holed'.

Better to endure the Addanki - Piduguralla stretch. It would atleast save us 100 -odd kilometres.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 18:05   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

My update on the route. I did roughly 1300+ kms in 36 hours

Nov 4th

Hyderabad-Kurnool (225kms)
Started from home at 7:00am and reached Kurnool 9:15am and stopped for breakfast on the bypass towards Nandyal for about 30 mins. Routes as we all know was superb.

Kurnool-Nandayal-Cuddappah (200kms)
Kurnool to Nandyal which is roughly about 100kms is quite bad with patchy roads all through and you go through some hilly terrain with only one side access for both sided traffic and will really slow you down

Nandayal to Cuddapah is good all through but, has many diversion due to 4-lane work in progress ( mom counted about 20 of them) after every 5kms or so and this will slow you down as well

Cuddapah-Rajampet-Renigunta-Tirupathi
Most of this 150kms is excellent but, be careful of plenty of trechearous speedbreakers that pop up unexpectedly and lot of stray dogs on this stretch that jump across your line and scare the hell out of you

I reached Tirupathi town at 4:00pm with a 30 mins stop for Breakfast and 45 mins lunch stop just after Cuddapah

9 hours-1.30 hours ( including 15 minutes route asking time for nandyal bypass at kurnool) = 7:30 hours of actual driving

Nov 5th

Thanks to Srimath, we had a VVIP darshan and our darshan at Tirupathi also got over pretty quickly and since mom and maasi decided against Vellore trip, we decided to head back to Hyderabad immediately.

I took the same route back until Cuddapah and had planned to go straight on till Gooty and turn towards NH-7 but, it was about 80kms more and no clue how the road would be until NH-7. so decided against it and took the same route back ( i.e) via. Nandyal-Kurnool

I observed the return is faster due to the way road is designed and you can be aggressive and opposite drivers were defensive

Total Distance to Tirupathi via this route is 585kms until Tirupathi town and an additional 20kms to Tirumala : 605kms

Started from Tirupathi at 11:00am and with just one stop for lunch at 1:30pm for about 30 mins. Reached home at 7:15pm

Cuddapah to Kurnool. This entire stretch, I was in a convoy of a Hyundai Verna, Fiat Punto, Maruti Swift Dzire, Toyota Innova and we all were driving aggressively and were going to Hyderabad ( could make out from their registration plates) and were neck to neck till Kurnool. Innova and Punto being the fastest ( both being driven by drivers) and in some cases even overtook me. Was amazed to see a Punto being driven like that.

And, when we reached Kurnool and got onto the Splendid NH-7, I overtook them and never saw them afterwards

Total Driving Time : 7:45 mins

Bottom line, however you drive, it will take you 9 hours to reach Tirupathi from Hyderabad via. this route which is the shortest of all options available.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 19:16   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself
One need not go till Vijayawada.
Oh yes, I was only talking about the case when Narketpally - Medarametla was totally off-limits to low-slung sedans. This was the case for quite some time last year at least per hearsay.

The choice is then between the devil (NH9 + NH5 via VJA) vs. the deep blue sea (potholes/craters/moonscapes) and in my book at least the former wins. As you've said, with the situation being what it is now, I can only say "Good riddance, NH9!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
9 hours-1.30 hours ( including 15 minutes route asking time for nandyal bypass at kurnool) = 7:30 hours of actual driving

Started from Tirupathi at 11:00am and with just one stop for lunch at 1:30pm for about 30 mins. Reached home at 7:15pm
Total Driving Time : 7:45 mins

Bottom line, however you drive, it will take you 9 hours to reach Tirupathi from Hyderabad via. this route which is the shortest of all options available.
I could never even have imagined, let alone lived/driven through 7.5 hrs driving and ~9 hrs total via this route. I hope you didn't have to take unnecessary risks. (By the way, with this kind of pace you should be able to do Hyd - Goa in 12 hrs.)

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th November 2011, 23:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I could never even have imagined, let alone lived/driven through 7.5 hrs driving and ~9 hrs total via this route. I hope you didn't have to take unnecessary risks. (By the way, with this kind of pace you should be able to do Hyd - Goa in 12 hrs.)

Regards,
spadix

I have always maintained that this is the fastest route and my maximum journey time is 9.5 hours. The time will come down even more once Kurnool-Kadapa 4 laning is complete.
Old 7th November 2011, 10:33   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
While going I was quite relaxed almost all the way till Tirupathi. On return, I was extremely relaxed in my driving till Cuddapah but, after joining the convoy from Cuddapah to Kurnool, drove all the way back home "with a sense of urgency"

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
I have always maintained that this is the fastest route and my maximum journey time is 9.5 hours. The time will come down even more once Kurnool-Kadapa 4 laning is complete.
Some portions of the Kurnool-Cuddapah is really bad Srimath and WA took some brunt out of it ( I mean nothing happened, not even a single time WA bottomed out, but each thud on a bad road goes through the heart)

Overall, I agree if you drive a bit aggressively this route will take 9 hours to reach Tirupathi. Relaxed drive might get you there in 10/10.5 hours
Old 10th January 2012, 15:58   #96

Hyderabad - Kavali

Here are recent experiences for Hyderabad-Kavali, could be of use to folks enroute to Madras/ Tirupati etc. We tried two variations though via Nagarjunasagar.

A. Hyderabad - Nagarjunasagar - Piduguralla - Addanki - Ongole: 407Km, 7hrs driving time
B. Ongole - Chilakaluripeta - Narasaraopeta - Karempudi - Nagarjunasagar - Hyderabad

Both routes are almost of same distance, duration and pain. The really painful stretch lasts for about 1:30min either options. However, the signs are non-existant on Karempudi route.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad to Tirupati : Route Info-roadtrip.gif  

Old 3rd February 2012, 08:45   #97

562Km: Hyderabad- Kurnool- Nandyala- Kadapa- Rajampeta- Karakambadi-
Tirupati
612Km: Hyderabad- Kurnool- Gooty- Kadapa- Rajampeta- Renigunta- Tirupati
Has anyone tried Kurnool- Banaganapalli- Allagadda? From google maps, it
seems slightly longer.

We tried these two routes and there is no advantage in time or distance via
Gooty. Going through Renigunta town is best avoided. The usual rest areas
hold good. I missed Ghar dhaba before Kurnool but experienced Kadapa and
Orvakallu Haritha restaurants.

612Km
0630 at Ringroad-NH7 junction, Hyderabad
1630 at Tirupati, Bhimas junction
1:30 for breaks

562Km
0630 at Tirupati, Bhimas junction
1645 at Ringroad-NH7 junction, Hyderabad
2:00 for breaks

Gooty - Tadipatri - Kadapa
Quiet and reasonable roads. It seems for a while you have the road all for yourself.

Kadapa - Rajampeta, the temple at Vontimitta looks interesting

Rajampeta - Kodur - Renigunta, forest area, good for a leisurely pace with
windows down. But, speed breakers galore. Watch out for white stripes on
road (look like pedestrian crossings). Each speed breaker was bounded by one
on either side. Ofcourse there are unmarked speed breakers too and, there
are once-upon-a-time speed breakers.

Kadapa - Nandyala - Kurnool, construction pretty much entire route. There
are short rough patches but don't last too long (guess <5Km), I recall the following
Kadapa-Mydukuru
Allagadda-Chagalamarri
Nandyala bypass

I followed the road into Kurnool till the Y and took the left branch towards
Anantapur. Crossed railway tracks after about 500m and this put us onto a
ramp to NH7 to Hyderabad. Some signs have come up.
rsksnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 12:21   #98
BHPian

Guys,

I will have to drive from Hyderabad to katpadi(Vellore) this Friday (June 8th).

The usual and default google directions are
Option # 1
========
Hyderabad -> Kurnool -> Nandyal -> kadappa -> Rayachoti -> Chittor -> Vellore.
This would be NH7 upto Kurnool and then NH40 from Kurnool all the way up to Vellore.
The distance is about 604 kms.
i.e. about 216 kms on NH7 and the remaining ~ 388 kms on NH40.

Google maps also shows me 2 more options
Option # 2
========
Hyderabad -> Kurnool -> Gooty -> Ananatapur -> Kadiri -> Madanapalle -> Palamaner -> Chittor -> Vellore.
This would be NH7 upto Ananatapur and then NH42 for the remaining journey (except for about last 30 odd kms on NH40).
The distance is about 651 kms.
i.e. about 361 kms in NH7 and ~ 260 kms on NH42 and ~ 30 kms on NH40.

Option # 3
========
Hyderabad -> Kurnool -> Gooty -> Ananatapur -> Chikballapur -> Palamaner -> Chittor -> Vellore
This would be NH7 upto Chikballapur and then NH69 for the remaining journey (except for about last 30 odd kms on NH40).
The distance is about 704 kms.
i.e. about 513 kms in NH7 and ~ 160 kms on NH69 and ~ 30 kms on NH40.

Difference between Option # 1 and Option # 3 is about 100 kms.

We all know that NH7 is one of the best roads to drive. Any option I take, I will have to drive the last 30 odd kms in NH40. One of my friend is
suggesting to use NH7 as much as possible, while that seems like a good idea, I dont know the current conditions of NH42 or NH69. So if NH69 is as
good or bad as NH40 (Nandyal -> Kadappa route), I might take Option # 3.

From reading earlier posts on the Option # 1 route, looks like there is some construction work going on between Kurnool -> Nandyal -> Kadappa route.

I will be driving alone from Hyderabad -> Vellore and while returning have some company.

So which route is best recommended for a stress free journey. I am OK with driving a little longer as long as it is safe and less stressful.

Also it is a brand new car with temporary registration, will it cause any problem while crossing states?.

Thanks for your help.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:20   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

You can try Option 1 while going and Option 3 while return.

Option 3 is a faster option but, much longer.

Just carry your DC, Invoice and T/R documents and it shouldnt be an issue wherever you go in India.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 13:31   #100
BHPian

I would suggest option 2 is the best. Kurnol nandyal cuddapah road work is in full swing. Will slow u down. According to other thread anathapur - kadiri madanapalle road is good.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 13:37   #101
Team-BHP Support

Expect almost zero/negligible roadside facilities on the Kurnool-Kadiri-Madanapalle-Palamaner sector.
Road quality is very decent though.
Old 6th June 2012, 15:23   #102
Senior - BHPian

I would rule out option 1 due to road-widening, which will be stressful.

You can choose between options 2 and 3. For stress-free driving, I'd prefer option 3. Time will be same, but a lot less stressful.

I think Gajadonga has used option 3 (well, almost) a couple of months back. See post # 264:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...itions-18.html

Last edited by vnabhi : 6th June 2012 at 15:29.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 16:04   #103
BHPian

Thank you very much guys for your inputs.

I am ruling out option # 1.

Now that monsoon is more or less set, and lets say it starts raining like cats and dogs,
between Option # 2 and Option # 3, i.e.
Hyderabad -> Kurnool -> Gooty -> Ananatapur -> Kadiri -> Madanapalle -> Palamaner -> Chittor -> Vellore.
and
Hyderabad -> Kurnool -> Gooty -> Ananatapur -> Chikballapur -> Palamaner -> Chittor -> Vellore

Which is better and safe?.

Thanks once again.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:03   #104
BHPian

is the safest and which has more facilities amongst the two options.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 17:04   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Surely this option is safer and better. (Although its longer in distance)
You can exploit the 4-lane conditions better. You also get more facilities on the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed