Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 16:47   #31
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Guwahati : Route Queries

got myself michellin xm2 and a set of GT-R alloys.
sweet deal for 4350 a tyre and 3.5k for an alloy.
I couldnt have been happier. the ride is butter smooth now.
looking forward to this trip even more now.
Old 30th May 2012, 00:22   #32
BHPian

so looks like i have a new route on my hands, which was dependent on the availability of pet friendly or pet tolerant hotels.

Day 1. ) Bangalore(Whitefield) - Vishakhapatnam.
Day 2. ) Vishakhapatnam - Puri.
Day 3. ) Puri - Kolkata.
Day 4. ) Kolkata - siliguri.
Day 5. ) Siliguri - Guwahati.

Till kolkata everything seems to be in order, I am also planning to get myself a portable car fridge and puncture repair kit. I have also heard about tyre sealants, which help sealing punctures, are they any good ?

Has anybody taken the kolkata - guwahati via siliguri route recently ? I would like to know the road conditions there ? After reading so many threads quite old ones though, looks like the roads are pretty bad on this stretch.

Any help/advice regarding anything would be of immense help.

cheers.

Last edited by blurust : 30th May 2012 at 00:25. Reason: typos
Old 30th May 2012, 08:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
so looks like i have a new route on my hands, which was dependent on the availability of pet friendly or pet tolerant hotels.

Day 1. ) Bangalore(Whitefield) - Vishakhapatnam.
Day 2. ) Vishakhapatnam - Puri.
Day 3. ) Puri - Kolkata.
Day 4. ) Kolkata - siliguri.
Day 5. ) Siliguri - Guwahati.

Till kolkata everything seems to be in order, I am also planning to get myself a portable car fridge and puncture repair kit. I have also heard about tyre sealants, which help sealing punctures, are they any good ?

Has anybody taken the kolkata - guwahati via siliguri route recently ? I would like to know the road conditions there ? After reading so many threads quite old ones though, looks like the roads are pretty bad on this stretch.

Any help/advice regarding anything would be of immense help.

cheers.
Staying in Puri means going 100 kms off your route.
Doing Calcutta-Siliguri in 1 day with the current condition of roads is difficult.
Carry spare tube even though you may be tubeless. No need to use any sealants.

Take the Siliguri-Cooch behar-Gauripur-Goalpara route to Guwahati, and avoid the Siliguri-Alipurduar-BOngaigaon-Rangiya route.
The recommended route also has some rough sections, but it is the better of the 2 routes.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:07   #34
BHPian

thanks hvkumar.

so after you said kolkata to siliguri is bad. i referred other forums for more info about these routes and have chalked this one out.

http://*******.com/8xg7peg

for the siliguri - assam section ill surely take the cooch behar route.

I wanted to stop at puri because of the beach for my dog to have his daily exercise so that he wont get energy bursts in the car
Old 15th June 2012, 23:40   #35
BHPian

Hey guys need your help again.
I changed the route once again for many reasons.
First stop was vizag but diverted towards hyderabad.
Starting tomorrow for vizag.
After vizag wanted to do puri but jaganath rath yatra is around the corner
And I don't wanna caught up in the mad preparatory rush.
So the plan is vizag to jamshedpur.
And then jamshedpur to siliguri or lakhipara.
And then to Assam.
I need directions from vizag to jamshedpur and any info about road conditions towards that side of the country.
Thanks again.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Has anybody taken the kolkata - guwahati via siliguri route recently? I would like to know the road conditions there ? After reading so many threads quite old ones though, looks like the roads are pretty bad on this stretch.
I have been up to Siliguri just a fortnight ago. The main arterial road leading to Siliguri appears to have repaired recently. Although it is in much better shape than what it was four months earlier, I shall say that it is far from being called satisfactory. Do you plan to drive by day? If so, please allow me then to suggest this route to you.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ding-nh34.html
I also suggest that you also go through this post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2794326
It is OK to use NH34 if you drive by night. But four lane conversion work is going on and there are lots of diversion. Please drive carefully. Either way, I think you should be able to reach Siliguri within fourteen hours, starting from Calcutta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Doing Calcutta-Siliguri in 1 day with the current condition of roads is difficult.
Respected Sir, please allow me to inform you that the condition of NH 34 has improved marginally and it is now possible to manage this section in a day. But it is surely difficult for many of the members, considering the condition of the road and the endurance and patience required.
Warm regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 06:02   #37
BHPian

Rahul sir.
I have marked this route on my gps already. I am only going to drive in the day.
Thanks for letting me know about the condition of the road.
Old 16th June 2012, 09:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I have marked this route on my gps already. I am only going to drive in the day. Thanks for letting me know about the condition of the road.
If you are going to drive by the day, I suggest that take the Dumka-Bhagalpur route. Surely a GPS device will help, although I did it without having one. It is only the 70-80 KM of road in Jharkhand which is bad, yet you will be surely be able to manage it in less than three hours. Also, I suggest that you do not buy any fuel in Jharkhand.
Old 16th September 2013, 00:39   #39

Fellow BHPians.

Planning a road journey from Bangalore to Dibrugarh (Assam) around 25th Sept in my Verna CRDi.

The route generally planned is :

Bangalore-Vijayawada-Vizag-Kolkata-(via NH2) -Siliguri-(via goalpara)-Guwahati-Dibrugarh

Had driven from Dibrugarh to Nasik a few months back. So am clear as far as the route from Siliguri to Dibrugarh is concerned.

Am willing to take a day's break at places of tourist interest enroute.
Need to halt for a day at Vizag to meet a relative.
Also avoiding night journey as far as possible.
Have a total of about 9-10 days for the trip.

Please suggest halts and any latest info on the route to include:-
1. Route from Bangalore to Vijayawada. (via Tirupati?? )
2. If Vizag - Kolkata is possible in a day.
Old 16th September 2013, 09:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodsdixit View Post
Fellow BHPians.

Planning a road journey from Bangalore to Dibrugarh (Assam) around 25th Sept in my Verna CRDi.

The route generally planned is :

Bangalore-Vijayawada-Vizag-Kolkata-(via NH2) -Siliguri-(via goalpara)-Guwahati-Dibrugarh

Had driven from Dibrugarh to Nasik a few months back. So am clear as far as the route from Siliguri to Dibrugarh is concerned.

Am willing to take a day's break at places of tourist interest enroute.
Need to halt for a day at Vizag to meet a relative.
Also avoiding night journey as far as possible.
Have a total of about 9-10 days for the trip.

Please suggest halts and any latest info on the route to include:-
1. Route from Bangalore to Vijayawada. (via Tirupati?? )
2. If Vizag - Kolkata is possible in a day.
The bets route is Bangalore-Hyderabad-Vijaywada which could take you in under 10 hours, thereby you can even target beyond Vijaywada.

Road between Vijaywada & Rajahmundry has lots of bad sections.

Vizag-Calcutta is a doable drive in a day.

Please note that it is not NH2 between Calcutta & Bardhaman - but the Durgapur Expressway (NH2 is separate & parallel).

En route you can plan visits to Puri/ Konarak.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

@ Pramod let us know when crossing Jorhat. We may have a impromptu meet here.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 16:06   #42
BHPian

Moderator note: Fixing Quotes, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The bets route is Bangalore-Hyderabad-Vijaywada which could take you in under 10 hours, thereby you can even target beyond Vijaywada.
I agree with HVK sir. Best route is Bangalore - Hyderabad which will take you about 5 to 6 hours. Take the ORR towards Vijayawada. You will reach Vijayawada in 3 to 3.5 hours from the outskirts of Hyderabad. If you start at 4.30 a.m, you will reach a place called Suryapet on Vinayawada highway by 12.30 pm for lunch. There are good hotels with washroom facilities. It is only 2 hours to Vijayawada from there. So, you can target Rajamundry or Vizag if you are o.k to drive till 9 or 10 pm. To my knowledge, roads upto Vijayawada are pure bliss to drive. Four lane all the way.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th September 2013 at 16:27.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 21:33   #43

@ hvk and josevijay

But with the telangana tensions, is this (via Hyd) route not prone to blockades?

Any latest updates as to the road traffic / blockades. I have heard that buses are no longer plying on the complete Blr-Hyd route. Karnataka & AP buses are operating only upto their respective state borders and thereafter passengers walk down to the bus of the other state.

Any trouble for cars?

Yes, I do intend to reach Vizag on the same day, even if it means stretching it late into the night.

@wanderernomad . yes we sure can catch up. plz pm me ur contact details.
Old 16th September 2013, 22:11   #44
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ hvk and josevijay

But with the telangana tensions, is this (via Hyd) route not prone to blockades?

Any latest updates as to the road traffic / blockades. I have heard that buses are no longer plying on the complete Blr-Hyd route. Karnataka & AP buses are operating only upto their respective state borders and thereafter passengers walk down to the bus of the other state.

Any trouble for cars?

Yes, I do intend to reach Vizag on the same day, even if it means stretching it late into the night.

@wanderernomad . yes we sure can catch up. plz pm me ur contact details.
The agitation is severe in Anantpur and Kurnool.

Bangalore-kolar-viziawada is ok. only the last 30 Km between guntur and viziawada is not good. 6 lane work and flyover construction is there

Between viziawada and rajamundry, road surface has potholes most of the time in the middle of the road. they are neither too big nor too small to ignore. this stretch is about 60 Km only. rest all are fine.
no problem of agitations. only it will cause delay.
i had traveled to vizag last month
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 22:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
@ hvk and josevijay

Any trouble for cars?

If you start at 4.30 a.m from Bangalore, you can easily cross Kurnool by 9.00 or 9.30 a.m(that is the time when protesters come out on the road mostly). Once you are in Telangana region, there are no issues. The same with your journey towards Vijayawada. By the time you reach Andhra region the protesters would have already left the places. You might reach Vijayawada at around 3 or 4 p.m. So I dont think you will face serious issues. Even if there are blockades, they wont last long as the protests are peaceful every where. There is absolutely no fear for safety. Have never seen on T.V or heard from my friends about long traffic jams for hours or attacks on cars and other vehicles in any part of troubled areas.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks