Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 21:32   #1
BHPian

Cuddalore and around

All : I'm on a personal trip to Cuddalore. I have 4 days, 1 day of which is the personal stuff I'm going there for.. So I have 3 days to explore : around Cuddalore as well as places ( or detours ) on my way back.

1. What are the best hotels to stay at Cuddalore ? Or is Pondicherry a more preferred stay option ?

2. The route : Is it better to take the NH7->NH66 or NH7->NH68 via Salem ?

2. One of the days I plan to do Pichchavaram and the Silver Beach. Would this take a day ? Or can I add more to that day ?

3. No exploring of Pondicherry this time ( plan to do it later on ). I'm not planning on visiting any temples this time either ( again I have a longer plan for later on to do Pondicherry and temples around Chidambaram, so not this time )

4. What are other places can I do on my way back ? I prefer scenic spots and drive throughs. Are there places around the Kalrayan hills ? I'm OK going down south a little bit to visit places like Muthupet Lagoon, which my uncle recommends a lot.

First time to these parts, so please do not flame me for the number of questions
Old 26th January 2011, 21:59   #2
mgh
BHPian

Re: Cuddalore and around

Pondicherry has much better hotels. If all you are looking for is decent room and decent south indian food, i think there are a couple near the bus stand which should be ok.
you could think of Tranquebar and Velankani
You could also think of staying at the Kailash Beach resort midway between Cuddalore and Pondicherry.
Old 26th January 2011, 22:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

You would be better off doing an extra 150 km instead of taking NH66 or NH68.
Go via Chennai Highway.

Krisnhagiri-Kanchi (NH46) 4L
Kanchi-Chengelpet (SH)
Chengelpaet-Tindivanam (NH45) 4L
Tindivanam -Pondy (NH66) again 4L,
Pondy - Cuddalore (ECR)

Do NOT go via TV Malai or Attur, both are in pretty bad shape.

BLR to Cuddalore

Staying in Pondy is better. You also cannot stay in Pichavaram, but at Chidambaram. As said earlier Tranquebar is an awesome. Look at Bunglaow on the beach.

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2011 at 22:33.
Old 26th January 2011, 22:53   #4
BHPian

Thank you, guys. Also re the ECR stretch between Cuddalore and Pondicherry : is that safe for a family drive late in the night e.g. 9 PM or 10 PM ?

Anything else we need to be aware of ?
Old 27th January 2011, 09:39   #5
BHPian

the stretch between pondicherry and cuddalore is safe all around 24 hours bcoz of heavy traffic, lots of colleges, 3 medical colleges, hospitals etc.,. so no worries.
bangalore to kanchipuram - chengelpet - tindivanam - pondy - cuddalore would be the best motorable route, as all are 4 lanes. its extra 50kms but well worth when you consider the time saved plus the beating your car takes. even suvs struggle in between krishnagiri-tiruvannamalai routes, so pls avoid if running with family, as even a puncture can be a headache in this road.
pitchavaram is 40kms from cuddalore, tranquebar is 85kms, and pondicherry is 23kms before cuddalore, having lots of shopping, variety of cuisines, beach, auroville etc.,.
one day you can spend in pitchavaram, another going to-fro tranquebar, even paying visits to nearby (lots of) navagraha temples, and 3rd day will be a tight schedule for pondicherry. so my advice is 1 day pitchavaram, 2 days around tranquebar and velankanni.

Best Regards.

Last edited by shekaran : 27th January 2011 at 09:41. Reason: spell check
Old 27th January 2011, 09:58   #6
BHPian

One more route ( ECR route )

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Krisnhagiri-Kanchi (NH46) 4L
Kanchi-Chengelpet (SH - 2L) - 36kms
Chengelpet- Thirukazhukundram (SH - 2L ) - 26kms
Anupuram -Pondy (ECR) ,
Pondy - Cuddalore (ECR)
Old 28th January 2011, 17:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you also make it to Chidambaram if you have time? It is just around 40 KMS and you will be able to see the oustanding temple of Nataraja.

Try and cover with a good hat if you are boating in Pichavaram mangrove forets. It will be quite hot during day.
Old 30th January 2011, 01:22   #8
BHPian

Pondicherry to cuddalore, Drive very cautiously, has the highest number of self sacrificing lunatics on motorized two wheels. I always plan my trip down that road so that I cross this bit before they wake up. Gets worse once the 'shops' open up. Pondy folks know to hold it, not the same with cuddalore. Drive safe!
Old 30th January 2011, 19:18   #9
BHPian

Thank you guys. I'd probably finalize my plan sometime this week. Best.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:21   #10

Guys, planning a BLR-CLE (Not sure if I can use this acronym for Bangalore to Cuddalore) in the in the new year. I have gone though this thread, and gained confidence that I will be able to maneuver my good 'ol Alto on these roads. Passenger list consists of the Princess (5 years) Her Highness, and yours truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Thank you guys. I'd probably finalize my plan sometime this week. Best.
airguitar, were you able to complete your trip earlier this year? can you please share your experience in CLR? How is the place? Do they have some goof hotels there? (I am not talking about some Star category, but some decent ones!) Did you stay in Pondy or in Cuddalore?

Looking forward for some help on this.
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:09   #11
BHPian

Hey, apologies, just seeing this, hope this information isn't too late.

Yes I did complete that trip.

Didn't take a chance : stayed at Ginger, Pondicherry. Honestly, didn't even try looking for a hotel in Cuddalore - though someone mentioned Suriyapriya hotel, but decided to stay put at Pondicherry.

Took the Kanchipuram - Thirukkazhukkundram - ECR route. Pondicherry - Cuddalore : the 2-wheeler traffic is very very high.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks