Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 21:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune - Nashik Alternate Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Hello Sir,

I plan to visit trimbakeshwar tomorrow. Planning to leave early by 5am from Kharadi, Pune and want to return the same day. As we all know, NH50 - Pune Nashik road is always heavy on traffic and is just two lane. Hence, tiring to drive.

What would be your suggestion for the alternate route or I should stick to the usual route?

Google map search results 3 routes -
1. NH50 (the usual route - 247 Kms)
2. NH3 (305kms via Pune-Mumbai expressway - Kalamboli - Mumbra - Kasara)
3. NH50 and SH44 (271kms - Diversion from Narayangaon connecting NH3 at Ghoti via Junnar, Bhandardara)

How about considering the 3rd option? Hows the road looking at the current rains?

What do you suggest is the safest and fastest route considering I need to do this in one day and I will be the single man driving.

Regards,
Aniket
Very difficult question to answer.

If leaving early, the NH50 is the best.
The Bombay route is not going to save you any time. In any case, I would not bypass Bombay region via Mumbra, but only the Kalamboli-Turbhe-Airoli-Mulund East-Thane route.
The 3rd route - the small roads will not be a great idea.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 22:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Hello Sir,

I plan to visit trimbakeshwar tomorrow. Planning to leave early by 5am from Kharadi, Pune and want to return the same day. As we all know, NH50 - Pune Nashik road is always heavy on traffic and is just two lane. Hence, tiring to drive.

What would be your suggestion for the alternate route or I should stick to the usual route?

Google map search results 3 routes -
1. NH50 (the usual route - 247 Kms)
2. NH3 (305kms via Pune-Mumbai expressway - Kalamboli - Mumbra - Kasara)
3. NH50 and SH44 (271kms - Diversion from Narayangaon connecting NH3 at Ghoti via Junnar, Bhandardara)

How about considering the 3rd option? Hows the road looking at the current rains?

What do you suggest is the safest and fastest route considering I need to do this in one day and I will be the single man driving.

Regards,
Aniket
Hi aniket.tiwari27, hope you have a nice trip. Please share the route taken and your experience.
Old 5th September 2012, 13:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Hi aniket.tiwari27, hope you have a nice trip. Please share the route taken and your experience.
Hey bijuiser..

I took the usual NH50 route. The road was in a ok condition. With sedate driving, it took me about 6 hours to reach Trimbakeshwar. Roads near Trimbakeshwar are in a very bad shape.

Overall the road condition is fine but being single lane it takes more time.

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 11:54   #19
BHPian

Pune Nashik via NH50 is more about traffic conditions rather than road condition. on a lucky day and at right hours (leaving either end by 5 am) you can traverse the distance in 4 hours flat with reasonably sedate driving.

Bottle necks are - Talegaon Chakan road junction, Rajgurunagar to Alephata, Bota, Sangamner city and Sinner to Nashik. If you get stuck it could be for hours.

It's immediate need to do four lane work between Rajgurunagar and Alephata and also between Sinner and Nashik road. Chakan junction is just another example of bad planning. the flyover could have been easily extended to cover this very busy junction.

In last two years fastest i have done Pune Nashik is in 3 hrs 45 minutes (left pune at 0445 hrs and reached Dwarka at 0830) and slowest..7 hrs. (Left Dwarka at 1500 and reached Pune at 2200) on the same day.

It's matter of luck and time of the day. Taking Thane route also has a bottleneck at Kalyan Bhivandi road crossing. There is option for the route to go via Kalyan taking right turn at Koparkhairane via Mahape and Shilphata but that road last I had seen was more like moonscape combined with truck traffic.

Via Kalwa still remains more reliable option in terms of time.
Old 6th April 2013, 12:40   #20
BHPian

What is the state of this route now? Any improvement or is it still recommended to go through Kalwa?
Old 7th April 2013, 18:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
What is the state of this route now? Any improvement or is it still recommended to go through Kalwa?
Road is OK, but traffic congestion - due to trucks - can lead to slow passage and those occasional nasty surprises of jammed roads. Better to avoid.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 15:36   #22
BHPian

I have to go to Trimbakeshwar from Mangalore. I know the road upto Pune but after that i would like some help. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th October 2013, 11:41   #23
BHPian

Usual route is to take NH4 (Mumbai-Bangalore) from Pune till Dharwad where you leave NH4 and take Hubli-Karwar road to Join NH17 near Ankola. Take left turn and you are on way to Mangalore.

I trust it is approx. 800 kms from Pune to Mangalore. Add another 200 kms from Nashik to Pune to make it 1000 km drive.

Pune to Dharwad will be comparatively fast on 4 lane highway. After Dharwad although roads are good till you reach NH17 can not really speed as they are 2 lane winding roads and Ghats.

NH17 is all 2 lane and winding. Road conditions last I heard were just ok.

Alternatively, if you are looking for scenic and laid back drive, take Nashik Mumbai road and divert to Panvel from Kalwa to tale NH17 from Panvel. But that will be approx 100 kms extra and at least 5-6 hours more.
Old 5th October 2013, 13:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
I have to go to Trimbakeshwar from Mangalore. I know the road upto Pune but after that i would like some help. Thanks in advance.
I took the Pune Nasik highway just a couple of days back. The road condition is largely OK. But from Sinnar onwards the road surface and traffic conditions are very bad. If you leave early morning from Pune (6 am or earlier) it will take you approx 4 hours from shivajinagar to nasik road, and another 1-1.5 hours to reach trimbak.

If you're planning to leave Pune anytime between 8 am to 6 pm, you can take either the direct Pune - Nasik highway, or the Pune-navi Mumbai- Nasik highway, the time you will take will be largely the same due to heavy traffic on the Pune Nasik highway. Please note that there is a significant toll of approx 300 rs if you plan to take the Pune-navi Mumbai- nasik highway.
Old 5th October 2013, 20:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Since I do the Mumbra route almost daily nowadays, the travel from Shil Phata through Mumbra bypass through Kalwa to the Thane - Nashik highway would take about half an hour, with moderate to less traffic. The only worrisome patch is from the Expressway exit to Shil Phata. The route via Taloja MIDC is almost always going to take more time than the more direct route. Exiting the expressway on the Thane Belapur road is also a problem because of the ongoing road repairs near Belapur.

At any cost, Pune - Shil Phata would take at least 2.5 hrs at decent speeds on the e-way, and Thane - Nashik would take at least 3 hrs at decent speeds. The intermediate travel from Shil Phata to Thane would take around half an hour. Together you still end up spending the better part of 7 hours on a circuitous route.

All in all it seems the direct Pune Nashik travel may be the best option, though with some obstructions.
Old 14th April 2014, 20:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hydrating the thread as I'll travel with family to Nashik in the coming weekend (of-course after casting my vote on Thursday) and need to know the most optimum way to reach the city.

What is the current state of usual NH50?
Is it advisable to go via Ahmedangar road?

I am planning to start about ~6AM from Kharadi/Mundhwa area.

tia,
-BJ
Old 17th April 2014, 17:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Hydrating the thread as I'll travel with family to Nashik in the coming weekend (of-course after casting my vote on Thursday) and need to know the most optimum way to reach the city.

tia,
-BJ
My reccomendation would be to go via Nagar.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 15:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

tia,
-BJ
I have recently done Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Nashik - Triambakeshwar - Nashik - Pune.

The road condition on the routes I have taken is as below:

Pune - Shirdi (via Ahmednagar) : Roads are good except for some 20km approx while bypassing Ahmednagar. Traffic is not bad either and I have done this in approx 5.5 hours including all breaks. Was travelling with mom, dad, wifey and my 2.5 year old son.

Shirdi - Triambakeshwar (via Nashik) : Roads are good till Nashik and further down to Triambak is a nightmare. To be honest, there is no road between Nashik and Triambak. I have heard from the local guides there that the road on this stretch would be laid once in 12 years and that happens just before the Godavari kumbh mela. Currently the authorities are in the process of laying roads for the kumbh mela in 2015. It took me 1.5 hours to cross that stretch of 30km

Nashik - Pune (NH50) - Road is not bad but the traffic is a nightmare. Heavy lorry traffic. I was able to do this stretch in 6.5hrs including the travel time in the city till Magarpatta.
CrankShaft05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 21:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My reccomendation would be to go via Nagar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
...Nashik - Pune (NH50) - Road is not bad but the traffic is a nightmare. Heavy lorry traffic. I was able to do this stretch in 6.5hrs including the travel time in the city till Magarpatta.
Thanks guys. Posting my update for benefit of others.

I did Pune-> Nashik by usual NH50 in ~4.5 hours with a lavish 45 minutes breakfast at Vittal Kamat after Alephata. Road throughout is OK. I started early (5:40AM) and reached Hotel (near Ambad on NH3) at ~10:30AM. After Sinnar to Nashik (some 30 odd kms) took me almost an hour to negotiate local traffic, otherwise it was smooth traffic.

While returning, I experimented a bit and took NH3-> Ghoti-> Left turn to Bhandhardhara -> Rajur -> Kotul-> Brahmanwada-> Bota (NH50) -Alephata -> Narayangaon -> Pune. The overall distance was more or less similar, but, I lost my way before Brahmanwada and lost some 30 minutes in the process. NH3 till Ghoti was superb, after that SH is OKish with lots of twisties on the Ghats, but very little traffic. Took me almost 6.5 hours to reach home in Mundhwa including slow traffic near Rajgurunagar, Chakan, Moshi and Alandi road.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 20th April 2014 at 21:49. Reason: mention traffic on SH-21
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 20:55   #30
BHPian

Guys, just traveled from Chinchwad to Nashik in a Nano on Friday the 13th. Left at 6.15 am and reached by 10.45 am to Nashik Road station (with a 35 min break at Kamat). Max speed was 80 kmph (I never exceed 80, not even on expressway).

Most of the road is still two lane but 4 lane work is in progress. I hope after 2 years at least 60-70% road will be 4 lane.

Due to the new Sangamner bypass, we saved a lot of time. More such bypass and 4 lane in ghats are needed. Then one can reach in 3 hours flat to Nashik.

Returning to pune tomorrow (15th June) by Nashik - Kalyan - Expressway - Chinchwad route. Hope I will break last time record of, 6 hrs 45 mins .

Most Viewed