Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 10:45   #31
BHPian

re: Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Definitely doable. I think the one highlighted in bold would be most optimal with minimal criss-crossing. Slight change.

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar/Thekkady-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune.

Route:

- Pune - CBE : Nh4/Nh7 via Bangalore, Salem.
- CBE-Cochin/Allepey NH47 via Palakkad/Trichur/Angamaly. (Deviations can be explained as we discuss for the best road conditions)
- Allepey - Munnar : Kottayam-Muvattupuzha (MC Road) - Adimali-Munnar.
- Munnar to Thekkady can be a day trip.
- Munnar - Kodai : Munnar-Bodi-Batlagundu-Kodai. (NH49/NH45)
- Kodai-Mysore : Kodai-Dindigul-Karur-Erode-Gobi-Chamrajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore

Kabini-Pune : Kabini-Bilkere-Krishnarajanagar-Holenarsipur-Hassan-Belur/Heleibid-CKM-Kadur-Bhadra-Shimoga-Honnali-Ranebenur-
Hubli-Pune

EDIT: Let us also hear from others, if there are any better options. HVK ?
Folks, really sorry about going back and forth. But I have finally decided to drive from Pune. So should I go back to this itinerary ?

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar/Thekkady-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

Also why are the itineraries different for flying and driving ? In other words can I use the same itinerary which I had for flying into Cochin to drive to Cochin which is:

Pune-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar-Thekkady-Kodai-CBE-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

I don't mind the route suggested earlier also which is:

Pune-CBE-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar/Thekkady-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

Thanks.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:52   #32
Team-BHP Support

Since you had added Kanyakumari, I suggested a different route. If its the same places, even then route changes, as you now start from Cochin rather than CBE.
(Assuming you fly down to Cochin first).
Old 16th March 2011, 13:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Since you had added Kanyakumari, I suggested a different route. If its the same places, even then route changes, as you now start from Cochin rather than CBE.
(Assuming you fly down to Cochin first).
What I meant was if I am driving from Pune, then which of these two is a better route ?

1) Pune-CBE-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar/Thekkady-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

2) Pune-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar-Thekkady-Kodai-CBE-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

You had suggested 1) for driving from Pune. But can I do 2) (driving from Pune also) or is 1) better than 2) ?

Thanks.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:17   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
What I meant was if I am driving from Pune, then which of these two is a better route ?

1) Pune-CBE-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar/Thekkady-Kodai-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

2) Pune-Cochin-Allepey-Munnar-Thekkady-Kodai-CBE-Mysore/Kabini-Pune

You had suggested 1) for driving from Pune. But can I do 2) (driving from Pune also) or is 1) better than 2) ?

Thanks.

Yes second is also good as Ranjit had said.

In fact I thought as per what Ranjit mentioned, you planned to cover Munnar first. That would be very good as well.

1. Pune-BLR-CBE (NH4/NH7/NH47)
2. CBE-Munnar/Thekkady (Via Pollachi/Udumalpet)
3. Munnar - Kumarakom (NH49 and MC Road)
4, Kumarakom-Kodai (NH220 via Kumily/Theni)
5. Kodai-Mysore/Kabini (Batlagundu-Dindigul-Karur-Erode-Gobi-Satyamangalam-Chamrajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore)
6. Mysore-Pune

EDIT: Route Map

Last edited by ampere : 16th March 2011 at 16:20.
Old 14th April 2011, 23:09   #35

hi all
am planning a trip which has parts of this map involved. I start from kanjirapally (abt 45 km from Kumarakom, towards kumily) and want to head either to Kabini or masinagudi. the destination will be finalised in a few days, depending on availabilities and so on.
From either masinagudi or kabini, it will be to bangalore, then chennai, both of which are not a problem.
Will be travelling with wife and 2 kids. we have done 12-13 hour trips before and so the plan is to make it in a day to the resorts.
The route that looks potential for kabini is (edited from ampere's msg above)
4, NH220 via Kumily/Theni
5. Batlagundu-Dindigul-Karur-Erode-Gobi-Satyamangalam-Chamrajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore)
does it seem feasible? any suggestions? and for the masinagudi route?

looking forward to the trip. any help will be appreciated.
thanks in advance
Old 15th April 2011, 07:38   #36
Team-BHP Support

If you want to go to Masinagudi/Kabini from Kanjirapalli. I think the shorter route is via Trichur. Else you cross ghats twice once at Kumily and again near Ooty.

Since you asked for a route from Kodai, I suggested by Sathy.

Since you are starting from Kanjirapalli, what I can think is the following:

Kanjirapalli=Palla-Muvattupuza-Angamally
-Trichur-Wadakancherry-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Masinagudi.

Ranjit mentioned roads bad between Pattamb- and Nilambur, but think this would be the shortest for you and definitely doable by evening.

If its Kabini, the route you extend to Mysore and then to Kabini. This destination is longer by about 150-200km.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:21   #37

thanks a lot ampere. sounds good.
now that you mention it, that was the way we used to go to school (ooty) when we were kids. gudalur-ooty. will check with my dad
looking forward to the drive.
thanks again
Old 15th April 2011, 10:51   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you want to go to Masinagudi/Kabini from Kanjirapalli. I think the shorter route is via Trichur. Else you cross ghats twice once at Kumily and again near Ooty.

Since you asked for a route from Kodai, I suggested by Sathy.

Since you are starting from Kanjirapalli, what I can think is the following:

Kanjirapalli=Palla-Muvattupuza-Angamally
-Trichur-Wadakancherry-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Masinagudi.

Ranjit mentioned roads bad between Pattamb- and Nilambur, but think this would be the shortest for you and definitely doable by evening.

If its Kabini, the route you extend to Mysore and then to Kabini. This destination is longer by about 150-200km.
Sorry for the typo. I meant Pala and not Palla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe_k View Post
thanks a lot ampere. sounds good.
now that you mention it, that was the way we used to go to school (ooty) when we were kids. gudalur-ooty. will check with my dad
looking forward to the drive.
thanks again
Sorry initially I thought it was Golfdude who was asking the question.
But the route suggestion remains the same,
Old 15th December 2012, 22:27   #39

Hi all,
My first post on Team BHP.
I am planning to drive from Coimbatore to Lonavla, via Pune mid Jan 2013 to attend a wedding, with my family (wife, two grown up children, all capable of taking the wheel). The car is an Indica Vista Aqua.
Would welcome any suggestions or known changes in the road condition as the posts above are more than a year old.
Planning onward via Sathyamangalam, Mysore/ Hassan ,Davanagere, Hubli, Belgaum, Kolhapur, Satara, Pune , Lonavla.
The return trip would be via Bangalore for which i intend taking the NH routes.
Would welcome any info on changes in the road condition and suggested night halt budget locations in Hubli/Belgaum.
Thanks.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaman136
Hi all,
My first post on Team BHP.
I am planning to drive from Coimbatore to Lonavla, via Pune mid Jan 2013 to attend a wedding, with my family (wife, two grown up children, all capable of taking the wheel). The car is an Indica Vista Aqua.
Would welcome any suggestions or known changes in the road condition as the posts above are more than a year old.
Planning onward via Sathyamangalam, Mysore/ Hassan ,Davanagere, Hubli, Belgaum, Kolhapur, Satara, Pune , Lonavla.
The return trip would be via Bangalore for which i intend taking the NH routes.
Would welcome any info on changes in the road condition and suggested night halt budget locations in Hubli/Belgaum.
Thanks.
Your intended route is fine.NH209 might take slightly longer time in case there are truck breakdowns on the dimbam ghats.Eating facilities are poor on nh209 as opposed to Nh47-nh7.Depending on the route you decide to take take the NICE road as you reach Bangalore and go on towards NH4 exit at Nelamangala.From there its one straight road all the way till Pune.CBE NICE road should take you around 6hrs depeding on your speeds and driving style.From there budget for another 8hours to Hubli or 9-10 hrs to Belgaum.

At Hubli Hotel Naveen and Clarks Hubli are both good.

At Belgaum Sankam Residency is the preferred option for NH4 travellers.

belagaum pune is another 5-6hrs with break.1hr to bypass pune and connect to the expressway and another 45mins to Lonavla
Old 16th December 2012, 12:55   #41

Thanks ranjitp1 for the updates and the route suggestion via the NICE road.
As I have driven a few times on the NH 209 to Mangalore from Coimbatore, I may take that route. It is also to give some ghat section driving experience for the other drivers in the family.
As it is a trip planned for 7 days and luggage would not fit in the Vista boot, I thought of fitting a luggage carrier. Haven't seen a Vista with a carrier though.. and the family objects to the 'look' of the car with carrier. Any suggestions please ?
Old 16th December 2012, 17:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering if its better to come thru Kanakapura, after Sathy, instead of going to Mysore-Hassan route. Coimbatore - Sathy - Kanakapura - NICE Road - Tumkur - and all the way to Pune?
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 18:52   #43

Thanks jkrishakj for the alt route.
Could you let me know more of the route between Sathy to Kanakapura ?
Old 16th December 2012, 18:57   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaman136 View Post
Thanks ranjitp1 for the updates and the route suggestion via the NICE road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Just wondering if its better to come thru Kanakapura, after Sathy, instead of going to Mysore-Hassan route. Coimbatore - Sathy - Kanakapura - NICE Road - Tumkur - and all the way to Pune?
Quite many folks have used this alternative route for GQ.

CBE-Sathy-Chamarajanagar-Nanjangud-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Melkote-Nellegere-Huliyar-Hiriyur.

And onto GQ from there on.

Route Link

Check the Pune-Mysore thread on the same:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-option-7.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 20:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Coimbatore - Shirdi Route Query

Hi All,

I am planning a drive to Shirdi from Coimbatore in April. I need to reach Shirdi by 23rd April afternoon, and leave Shirdi by 24th April afternoon. Google maps plotted a route through Bangalore, Davangere, Hubli, Kolhapur, Satara, Ahmadnagar and Shirdi, which is 1395KMs long.

As this is the first time I am going on such a long drive (the longest I have done is about 600kms), I don't even know where to start. I have so many questions both general and specific.

General questions:
1. How many kilometers would I be able to cover in a day?
2. Will it be possible to do this distance in 2 days? If I leave early morning on 22nd April, will I be able to reach Shirdi by 23rd afternoon?
3. Is there a checklist to prepare for a long road trip? I read the "A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive" thread and have made a list like nylon rope, puncture repair kit, inflator etc. Need to add more things to this list.

Specific questions:
1. Which route should I take? Is the route plotted by Google Maps the ideal one?
2. What time should I start on 22nd April?
3. How do I plan approximate pitstop locations? Should I use some approximate average speed and locate major places for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
4. Where should I plan to stay on 22nd? Hubli is 800KM from starting point. Would this be the right place to halt on the first day, making it 600km drive on the second day?
5. Should I plan in advance for fuel stops at reputed petrol bunks on the way?

Looking for guidance from experienced TBHPians to put together a good plan. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Note to Mods: I could not find a thread on Coimbatore - Shirdi route, and hence created a new one. Please merge if a thread exists on this route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks