Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2016, 17:12   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other thing to note:

Once you are past Tumkur, you find hotels only at designated places. Unlike down south (Bangalore-Coimbattore) where you may find mores places to break. So to summarise, carry enough food and water. And unlike CBE-Bangalore: Bangalore-North is more a of a long distance endurance game (More like Salem-Madurai-Kanyakumari). You will need to hold your timings well. But there is no need whatsoever to shift to higher speeds. Its always about good efficiency. Tumkur-Chitraduraga is a beautiful 6-lane, where you can easily cruise and Chitradurga-Hubli is a nice 4-lane too. (Your Jetta will just love it!)
Thanks a ton for that heads up. I had actually not planned for specific food stops as I thought I will break when required. If finding hotels after Bangalore is going to be a problem, I will make sure I carry enough snacks and water in the car. I will also keep paragsachania's hotels list handy.
Old 13th March 2016, 17:14   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thanks a ton for that heads up. I had actually not planned for specific food stops as I thought I will break when required. If finding hotels after Bangalore is going to be a problem, I will make sure I carry enough snacks and water in the car. I will also keep paragsachania's hotels list handy.
Its not a problem per se. You can see Parag's note on the Bombay-Bangalore thread's first post. Just that since distances involved are higher, it may take time for the next stop. Hence the suggestion to keep yourself some what stocked.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:06   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please do follow the below thread as well: (Bangalore-Goa)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3929824

This one along with Bombay-Bangalore gives a lot of update on road conditions. The previous post for example talks of how some sections are not looking good for higher speeds. Do take note.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:20   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]To pass Pune, instead of "Dehu Road - Chakan - Talegaon" route, use "Pune Bypass - Sinhaghad Road - Swargate - Shankarsheth Road - Hadapsar (Sholapur Road) - Magarpatta - Wagholi - Nagar Road"
Let me make your job easy. Not just googlemaps but I will give you info on way points to pass, and some landmarks to bypass Pune for Ahmadnagar Road (also known as "Nagar" Road).
  • Reference Point: Khedshivpur Toll Plaza, Toll Amount 80 Rs. The last toll before Pune Bypass Starts. This is where you can set one of your Trip meter to Zero of simply note down the ODO reading for reference

• 5.5 Kms From Toll: You will notice an overbridge. PLEASE HEAD STRAIGHT HERE. Left (Service Road) will be marked for Pune, straight for Lonavala/Hinjewadi/Mumbai

• 15 Kms From Toll: You will get an overbridge. PLEASE HEAD STRAIGHT HERE. Left will take you inside Pune through Katraj Depot (Satara Road)

• Soon after getting down from this Overbridge, stay Left and Enter the Service Lane (Exit might not be clean but you need to enter Service lane). Straight will continue towards Mumbai/Pune Bypass

• 17 kms from Toll:A few hundred meters on this Service Road, you will encounter a Traffic signal - TURN RIGHT at the Signal so that you will cross the same highway you were on till now above you from below the bridge. After turning right, you are now on the Sinhaghad Road

• 23 Kms from Toll: At the T-Juntion turn left. So once you enter Sinhaghad Road, you will pass at least 5 Traffic lights. You keep driving on this road all the way till you spot the first overbridge perpendicular to the road you are on passing across (Dandekar Bridge). Soon after you pass this, you will spot a Garden on your left (Saras Baug) and then you encounter a Traffic Singal at a T-JUNCTION. At this T-Junction, Turn left

Landmark: There is a Laxmi Temple right at this T-Junction in white Marble.
  • 23.7 Kms from Toll:Once you turn left, you will pass a round about and after this try to stay right (This is a one way road). You will reach a Traffic light (700 meters after taking that left) where you turn Right onto TILAK ROAD. Landmark: A huge Cycle Shop (quite a popular one here) on your left soon after you turn right for Tilak Road

• On Tilak Road, Pass Bharat Petroleum Fuel station on your right followed by a popular Tire & Wheel alignment shop (Formula Tires) and reach a Junction (Traffic light, 25 kms from the Toll)

• Stay left here but head straight and you will automatically have to turn left a little ahead onto Shankarsheth Road.

• Keep driving on Shankarsheth Road passing a major flyover, few petty traffic lights, Kumar Pacific Mall on your right till you reach a Major Junction. Landmark: As per road and traffic design, you cannot head straight at this junction and your only choices are Left and Right. Turn Left at this Junction - 27 Kms from Toll

• Stay right as soon as you turn right (this is a wide one way road) and at the fork, which is only a few hundred meters after taking that previous left stay right.

• Soon after taking right at the fork, you will encounter a signal. Take right here - 27 Kms from Toll (will me marked for Sholapur/Hadapsar). You are now on the Sholapur Road.

• Just keep heading on Sholapur Road passing few Roundabouts and the following Landmarks: Armed Forces Medical College (On your right) and Race Course (on your left).

• Please note: that this road has dedicated lanes for Buses (BRTS). Hence stick to the main corridor meant for General vehicles although a few morons would still be entering the BRTS Lanes.

• 32.5 Kms from Toll:You will drive almost 5 kms on this road (Sholapur Road) and notice a flyover ramp ahead of you for descending traffic to pass in the opposite direction of you while you will still be driving at ground level. Just underneath the curve of this flyover, you will turn left onto Kharadi Bypass Road.

• 39 kms from Toll:You will drive 7 kms on this road passing the following Landmarks: TCS on your right, Magarpatta IT City on your left, Season's Mall on the left, Radisson Blue On your right. Essentially, you keep driving on this road without any deviations till you hit a Major T-Junction. Turn right at this T-Junction and this is exactly where you will be on Ahmadnagar (Nagar) Road.

The complete route between Khedshivpur Toll till Nagar Road Bypassing Pune as explained above is as below:

Khedshivpur Toll - Sinhaghad Road - Saras Baug - SHankarsheth Road - Sholapur Road - Kharadi Bypass (Magarpatta) - Nagar Road.

(Keep a print handy from the above & as well have the route URL saved onto your mobile for quick access)

[/quote]Return:[*]Cross Pune by 4PM[/quote] If you ensure cross Pune by 4:00PM, just follow the exact opposite of this route with only 2 minor changes where you have one way routes which Google should easily help you navigate as long as you follow the same sequence of passing these via points.

Quote:
The biggest stretch between fuel stops would be Fuel stop #3 - Shirdi - Fuel stop #3 which would be about 500km. But I think this should be fine as the Jetta has a range of 800KM easily.
Not at all. Firstly, there are at least 5 COCOs between Ahmadnagar-Pune alone which are well marked, well advertised that you wont miss them. Secondly, you once you return, you will agree that the no of refuelling options between Ahmadnagar-Pune are aplenty compared to any stretch you would have done between Salem - Shirdi. Thirdly, you have a COCO right after crossing Pune at Khedshivpur. This also has Mc Donalds' & CCD too.

Here is the location.

In my actual post on Mumbai thread, this is the 4th one in Mumbai and Bangalore direction.

Quote:
Belgaum is 885KMs from Coimbatore. If the route to Belgaum is completely through 4 lane highways, then I should be able to make it on first day.
Absolutely no need to worry at all. Whether with family of solo. This is a route that you can munch miles without much ado, without speeding as long as you start at the right time. You will realise this when you complete the trip. At least till Kolhapur, you will have a super fast run without really hurrying anywhere at all. There are many instances of first timers with family doing 800-1000 kms with no pain at all only because they started their journey very early. This works in your favor, always.

Quote:
For the return from Shirdi, I will plan a stop at Hubli. Is this a good plan? Or should I just halt at Hubli, not risking a drive till Belgaum? I guess this totally depends on my capability to drive, but I want your recommendations
Shirdi - Pune - Kolhapur is where you will end up spending more time due to traffic density. After Kolhapur (Post Kagal Check post) you will again have empty roads all the way till Tumkur. So it will all depend on your progress based on which you need to take a decision on where you need to stay.

Between Belgaum and Hubli, it is an easy 1h15m with a 30 kms of 2 lane undivided Road. So you can make a decision when you are nearing Belgaum on whether to stop or continue till Hubli. You are the boss and you will certainly be able to decide yourself. I say this because no one can guarantee the time between Shirdi and Kolhapur as it can take 7 hours to even 9 hours.

Quote:
If finding hotels after Bangalore is going to be a problem, I will make sure I carry enough snacks and water in the car. I will also keep paragsachania's hotels list handy.
The list is all yours. There are new CCDs now which have come up recently. Apart from that Kamats come to your aide on regular basis. From my past drives over the last 8 years, If I have to recall specific stretches between Pune and Bangalore which have less options to break, it would be these:
  • Tumkur - Davanagere (130 kms)
  • Shiggaon - Dharwad High Court (80 kms) -
  • Distance b/w 2 CCDs (Refer to the URL) as I have not updated the master list with this CCD

Apart from this, on a regular basis on both directions you will get a lot of options to stop and break. Few might be good, few just OK but the list has the best possible options, tried and tested. The beauty beyond this - There are many more options that most of us including me have never tried and are worth trying to get an entry here. But alas, blame this on forums, we never even want to try .

Quote:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3929824

This one along with Bombay-Bangalore gives a lot of update on road conditions. The previous post for example talks of how some sections are not looking good for higher speeds. Do take note.
Amp, the reported road condition has been that way since years now. Specially Haveri - Bankapura - Shiggaon - Hubli than the opposite side.

So, this is generally not a warning sign but good to know as one would be carried away with the carpet till Ranebennur and this would come as a surprise.

Good that you reminded. Here is the post that has locations for each of these speedbreakers. Few of these are flat now while the rest remain.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3597839

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th March 2016 at 10:45. Reason: Quoting amp's post
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 11:19   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere. I will go through this thread as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Let me make your job easy. Not just googlemaps but I will give you info on way points to pass, and some landmarks to bypass Pune for Ahmadnagar Road (also known as "Nagar" Road)...
Thanks a ton (and a few more tons) Parag, for taking time in creating such a detailed post with guidance and also for creating the detailed route map to bypass Pune. I will save the google route, and take a print out of your directions as well. If I get lost even after this much information, I must be the biggest imbecile

Quote:
There are many instances of first timers with family doing 800-1000 kms with no pain at all only because they started their journey very early.
I will make sure to always make an early start.

I will now consolidate all the inputs and create a detailed list and will keep this printed out for reference during the drive.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 11:53   #66
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
39 kms from Toll:You will drive 7 kms on this road passing the following Landmarks: TCS on your right, Magarpatta IT City on your left, Season's Mall on the left, Radisson Blue On your right. Essentially, you keep driving on this road without any deviations till you hit a Major T-Junction. Turn right at this T-Junction and this is exactly where you will be on Ahmadnagar (Nagar) Road.
Superbly detailed directions Parag
Is this the same road that has the Amanora Town Centre (huge mall) opposite the Season's Mall, so will be on right side ?
Old 14th March 2016, 12:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Superbly detailed directions Parag
Is this the same road that has the Amanora Town Centre (huge mall) opposite the Season's Mall, so will be on right side ?
Yes, that's the one. Amanora Park Town (which also has Amanora Town Center) and Swarovski Towers on the right. This road is called Kharadi Bypass and it connects Nagar Road to Sholapur Road. There are a lot of huge landmarks that have come up over the years which was limited to just Magarpatta before. Everytime I pass, its something new

Here is the log to help graaja on how much time it would take once you get off from Pune Bypass till you enter Nagar Road. This was recorded in during my last drive in Oct-Nov 2015:

Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries-screenshot_20160314120545.png

Pune - Coimbatore : Route Queries-screenshot_20160314120620.png

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th March 2016 at 12:09.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 12:08   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton (and a few more tons) Parag, for taking time in creating such a detailed post with guidance and also for creating the detailed route map to bypass Pune. I will save the google route, and take a print out of your directions as well. If I get lost even after this much information, I must be the biggest imbecile
That's Parag's route for Pune bypass. Many have benefited, including me. What I would suggest: If you have a Garmin, pre-program that route and use it blind. That approach works like a charm. (Or Google Navigation, which ever is comfortable for you). I converted it to an ordered set of Garmin way points.

Parag, looks like you updated, after they started construction on the old Satara road to Swargate? Is it done now?

@graaja, Also note, on that last stretch where you hit Nagar road, there is a Radison. A nice place to break if you are looking to splurge!

Last edited by ampere : 14th March 2016 at 12:13.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 12:13   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's Parag's route for Pune bypass. Many have benefited, including me.
Just one change from the earlier route that I gave last time Amp.

- Bridges are all functional on Pune Bypass after 6 lane expansion (so you tend to simply continue climbing every flyover that comes)

- Construction of 6 kms flyover on Satara Road has made matters slow and hence it is better to take Sinhaghad road today. Same reason why I have Sinhaghad road option these days.

EDIT: I guess I answered your question even before you asked. The Flyovers are ready since August but still you need to reach a Major Junction at Swargate from Satara Road side where your progress will be slower due to lot of buses.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th March 2016 at 12:16.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 13:28   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is the log to help graaja on how much time it would take once you get off from Pune Bypass till you enter Nagar Road. This was recorded in during my last drive in Oct-Nov 2015:
Hi Parag, OT, what is the app you use to log your drive? This looks really good with all those details.
Old 14th March 2016, 13:33   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parag, OT, what is the app you use to log your drive? This looks really good with all those details.
That's from "MyTracks" which will no longer be available after April 30th.

However, you can use many other popular apps to track your journey based on whether its an Android or an iOS Phone.

Here's more on MyTracks and its end of life.

Link.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:06   #72
Team-BHP Support

I started today morning at 4:30 and as of now, have done 700km. Planning to stay in Belgaum for the night.

There were no speed limit markers till Chitragurga. I was mostly cruising at 120. After Chitradurga, there was a stretch with 80kph markers. I was doing about 100 and saw a police van with some equipment looking like speed trap. Should I be worried?

After that stretch, there are no speed limit markers (ecxept the 50kph markers near villages). Now I am confused. What speed limit should i follow?

Parag, ampere, NPV, Santosh and others who frequent this route, please advise.
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:19   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I only go once in a while. Parag frequents it. So I cant say for sure. But typically people do 3 digits on this highway. Within Chitradurga there may be limits. But otherwise 100/110 is quite OK.
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:52   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After that stretch, there are no speed limit markers (ecxept the 50kph markers near villages). Now I am confused. What speed limit should i follow?

Keep going. No Interceptors after Belgaum anyway.

Their business is brisk mainly between Chitradurga and Davanagere. Other one is as soon as you exit for Belgaun from NH4.

Don't worry about speed traps anywhere between Belgaum and Pune or even Ahmednagar or Shirdi.
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:11   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Keep going. No Interceptors after Belgaum anyway.

Their business is brisk mainly between Chitradurga and Davanagere. Other one is as soon as you exit for Belgaun from NH4.

Don't worry about speed traps anywhere between Belgaum and Pune or even Ahmednagar or Shirdi.
Thanks Parag. So that means I may get a ticket after all for the Chitradurga stretch. When there are no speed markers any speed I should adhere to? Is 100 OK?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks