Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 23:09   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
On the other hand my observation was that the NH209 stretch from Chamarajnagar to Bangalore has developed a few nasty trenches (which run right across the road) in at least 3 or 4 places that really catch you by surprise.
IIRC, when coming from BLR,

One after Kanakapura, somewhere near Halaguru. Around this vicinity, lot of potholes(that can't be avoided) have developed.

Another between Malavalli and CH Nagara.

The third one which took me by surprise was (again surprisingly) covered temporarily with loose earth when i was returning, don't remember where!

Last edited by ramzsys : 26th August 2013 at 23:13.
Old 8th September 2013, 09:02   #257
BHPian

I need to start to Mysore in another 30mnts.. would like to know if Kanakpura route is still preferred (read few rough road conditions from last few posts. (Will be returning tonight)
Old 8th September 2013, 09:23   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
I need to start to Mysore in another 30mnts.. would like to know if Kanakpura route is still preferred (read few rough road conditions from last few posts. (Will be returning tonight)
Take the usual SH17 Blore-Mysore road. There won't be much traffic now.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 17:37   #259
BHPian

I took the NH209 today from Malavalli to Bangalore. The road condition for most part is awesome. Most parts of it look freshly tarred. The town roads in Halaguru (worst)/Kanakapura(decent)/Harohalli (decent) are below par. There are a couple of places where it looks like road humps were removed, and sand filled in the resulting pit. One is just after Halaguru and one after Kanakapura. I could cover the stretch of about 100kms in abut 100 mins.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:44   #260
Senior - BHPian

For a change, had a breeze of a drive from Mysore to Bangalore on a last day of a long weekend yesterday. Very little traffic throughout even inside towns of Mandya, Maddur, Channapatna, and Ramnagar and absolutely peaceful drive except for the innumerable humps. We hit the highway near Srirangapatna at around 1 PM (while coming from Kannur, Kerala) and I think perhaps this is the best time to be doing this stretch on weekends.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 19:44   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I know the answer but still want an expert opinion. My b in law and family are returning from ooty to Bangalore on 14th Oct. This is the last day of the dussera celebrations in Mysore. I am assuming Mysore town and Mysore Bangalore route will be jam packed and it will be advisable to take the kollegala kanakpura route. Is this right assumption. They have never taken that route and if it is feasible to take the Mysore b route they would prefer to stick to that.
Old 9th October 2013, 15:48   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
They have never taken that route and if it is feasible to take the Mysore b route they would prefer to stick to that.
It depends on the time they are driving back. Though on any day I would opt for NH 209 over SH 17 lack of good wayside amnesties is a pain point.

If your brother in law and family is keen on taking SH 17 ask them to make sure they cross Mysore before dark. This way they will be able to beat the rush on road once Dussera celebration ends.
Also due to procession it will not be possible to take the road through town, so ask him to take the ring road and join near Columbia Asia hospital junction.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 10:38   #263
BHPian

I returned back from Mysore to Bangalore yesterday and took the Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore route, wanted to avoid the boring SH 17 route due to traffic and was just curious to see how the alternate route was.

The stretch from Mysore to Malavalli is pretty bad and from there it is a real breeze with some bad patches, I drove during evening and lot of 2 wheeler traffic as well as sand laden lorries. Good thing is that traversing Kanakapura is a breeze now.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:49   #264
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I returned back from Mysore to Bangalore yesterday and took the Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore route, wanted to avoid the boring SH 17 route due to traffic and was just curious to see how the alternate route was.

The stretch from Mysore to Malavalli is pretty bad and from there it is a real breeze with some bad patches, I drove during evening and lot of 2 wheeler traffic as well as sand laden lorries. Good thing is that traversing Kanakapura is a breeze now.
Yesterday's Indian Express newspaper had a report and picture of Bannur-Mysore road flooded due to lakes and irrigation canals overflowing, did you experience this ? Link
Old 26th November 2013, 11:01   #265
BHPian

Me and my friend tookoff to Mysore on last Sunday,started Bangalore at 9AM reached Mysore by 12:30PM with one stop for refreshments of 15 mins ,the traffic was the culprit for the delay.
My friend whose a regular bhpian ( NAN )driving is VW polo 1.2 between Mysore Bangalore from the past one year said that this was his longest drive,else he covers the distance in 2 hours and 30 minutes with average speeds between 80-100.
Traffic was very bad ,it was like driving to office on a busy Monday morning.
We had a couple of blocks too ,one in chennapatna and slow moving traffic in a couple of places.

A couple of months back ,i took the Malavalli route to Mysore.The road is a little bumpy and on the positive side its very green and scenic, a very pleasant drive overall.
msvg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 11:04   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yesterday's Indian Express newspaper had a report and picture of Bannur-Mysore road flooded due to lakes and irrigation canals overflowing, did you experience this ?
None, guess by the time I crossed ( 6:00 to 6:30 PM ish) it must have had subsided . Bannur town did look like it was hit by a tornado ( atleast the roads were)
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 12:43   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a pleasant news for those including me who travels on this road often early morning -
7 highway dacoits caught near Maddur
Old 11th December 2013, 16:58   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Not a pleasant news for those including me who travels on this road often early morning -
Wonder if they have already committed any dacoities on this road. Its good to know they are arrested.
There is no letting our guard down anytime.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:05   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
Wonder if they have already committed any dacoities on this road. Its good to know they are arrested.
There is no letting our guard down anytime.
This was sometime in the beginning of this year (2013) that a few dacoits waylaid a Renault Duster on Halebidu Road in Belur on pretext of asking direction, threatened with sharp weapons and kidnapped the owner (renowned Businessman from Belur), drove all the way till the Forest area near Hagare on Hassan road (16 kms from Crime), tied the owner to a tree after ensuring he was almost naked and drove away with his Duster.

Luckily, he was tied with his own clothes that he could manage escaping the scene, managed to stop a few vehicles plying on the road and reached the Police station to lodge a complaint.

This incident happened at night and next night a few folks near Maddur on the Bangalore-Mysore SH17 were arrested after a smart owner of a car was waylaid in similar fashion and he ensured to throw his car keys far away in the fields and started screaming loudly.

When passersby noticed this unusual thing, a few villagers also gathered hearing the screams. They ensured to catch hold of 3 out of 4 of these men and realized they were using the same Duster which they had stolen the previous night from Belur.

The lucky Duster owner this time got his car back and was the one who narrated this incident to most of us.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2013 at 17:29.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 07:41   #270
BHPian

Just came back to India and had to drive back from Mysore, as usual took the Mysore - Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangy route yesterday evening. Roads have all been patched up end to end and especially the Mysore - Bannur section which couple of month's back was in a real bad shape. For sure , this is my preferred route to avoid the misery of the state highway, the big trees on either side of the road makes the ride nostalgic. There is a paucity of eateries which is better in a way as I don't have to fight my son for not stopping at McD
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks