Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 14:02   #466
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

A couple of observations. Friday early morning, trafic was sparse and I liked the barricades. Yesterday evening, traffic was dense and I hated the barricades. Crazy drivers trying to cut across each other and squeeze through. I saw a tipper truck break the mirror of a Dzire in front of me. The truck was trying to muscle its way in and the Dzire was not willing to cow down. They blocked the barricade for a good five minutes before someone drilled sense into them and moved them to the side. With dense traffic I will take the speed bumps, please. Thank you!
Arka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:26   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on closed bridge across Kaveri river on NH 209.

Had driven till the bridge enroute to K Gudi just to check the status of work. They have removed all spans on the bridge. Where there was road earlier, metal mesh is being laid before they start pouring concrete.

Strangely they have not removed the side railings. How they removed the span without moving side railings surprises me.

During discussion with JLR K Gudi in-charge came to know that expected date for opening the bridge is 28 June. I am not sure if the work will be completed by then, even more so since rainy season is about to start in a week or so.

However, light at end of tunnel.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-suh_1482.jpg

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-suh_1484.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 08:14   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a question. How is traffic towards Bangalore from Mysore Saturdays around noon. Will it be bad as the traffic towards Mysore at that time?
Old 19th June 2015, 08:45   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Will it be bad as the traffic towards Mysore at that time?
I have used Bangalore-Mysore stretch on multiple occasions post 12 afternoon and except till Ramnagar I haven`t witnessed much a traffic towards Mysore. One of the reason is whoever is heading out for long trips would have left Bangalore early and I bet this is one of the best time to travel en route to Mysore. On both occasions all in all it took around 2.30 hrs to reach Mysore.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 19th June 2015 at 08:49.
Old 19th June 2015, 08:50   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I have used Bangalore-Mysore stretch on multiple occasions post 12 afternoon and except till Ramnagar I haven`t witnessed much a traffic towards Mysore. One of the reason is whoever is heading out for long trips would have left Bangalore early and I bet this is one of the best time to travel en route to Mysore. On both occasions all in all it took around 2.30 hrs to reach Mysore.
Thanks, but I was asking about Mysore to Bangalore on Saturday, not Bangalore to Mysore.
Old 19th June 2015, 08:55   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I was asking about Mysore to Bangalore on Saturday, not Bangalore to Mysore.
Sorry for misinterpreting your post.

Same applies to the opposite direction and I presume onward traffic to Bangalore will not be high as compared to Sunday evening madness.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 09:14   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a question. How is traffic towards Bangalore from Mysore Saturdays around noon. Will it be bad as the traffic towards Mysore at that time?
There will be light traffic; nothing out of the ordinary.

Rode from Mysore to Bangalore this morning and averaged 79KMPH in the first hour! I did not exceed 100KMPH anywhere; this is a testament to the improvement barriers have brought to this road in light/no traffic!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 11:57   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Returned via Mysore Road last Saturday. As already mentioned by many folks here, when traffic is light, the barriers are definitely better than the humps. But if the road is crowded it can cause delays and additional stress due to folks trying to squeeze through.

Also noticed that the barriers are not spaced correctly everywhere (or have been moved). I could go through several without any significant reduction in speed (which defeats the purpose). Several of the barriers seem to have already broken.

In summary, I personally welcome this approach since I do not take Mysore Road during peak times/days and it definitely saved me 15-20 min in travel time. But seeing the shifting positions and breakage of barriers, I think they will soon need to revert back to the humps. Does not look like the barriers are serving the purpose.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 22:07   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also noticed that the barriers are not spaced correctly everywhere (or have been moved). I could go through several without any significant reduction in speed (which defeats the purpose). Several of the barriers seem to have already broken.
Lot of these barriers are retracted in the night times since there is barely any pedestrian/local traffic movement around those areas, however I've noticed the barriers close to villages are fully extended all through the night as well. Why aim for significant reduction in speed where there really is no need to reduce speed at certain times of the day/night?

Quote:
But seeing the shifting positions and breakage of barriers, I think they will soon need to revert back to the humps. Does not look like the barriers are serving the purpose.
Ideally I'm hoping the barriers too disappear without humps!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 24th June 2015 at 22:10.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 11:12   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But seeing the shifting positions and breakage of barriers, I think they will soon need to revert back to the humps.
There were couple of locations around Channapattana which had both barricades and newly laid speed breakers. Best of both worlds
Old 28th June 2015, 09:34   #476

Apart from barricades, there are now very visible Highway Patrol vehicles on the stretch. I saw one with flashing lights at the scene of an accident on Friday night near Maddur and another one (again with flashing lights) just cruising. This should hopefully act as a deterrent against maniac drivers.

-Deepak
Old 29th June 2015, 14:29   #477
BHPian

I happened to travel from Mysore to Bangalore yesterday night and with the speed breakers gone, its a bit smooth on the road maybe less of road rage. Maybe I hit the road at the right time (left Mysore at about 9pm reaching Meenakshi Mall on Bannerghatta road by about 11.15)! The only grouse is there should be some method to remove those shutters at night rather than just shrink it, it still makes you slow down not sure if you will hit or not!
Old 6th July 2015, 22:57   #478
Senior - BHPian

Last week when returning to Mysore, decided to ride through Malavalli to Mysore to check on the progress on the road widening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Bannur - Malavalli, looks like its undergoing road widening, they have put mud and gravel over the existing road, now its as good as having no roads for about 5KMs.
The moment the town ends, YUMMY tarmac! almost next to no traffic!

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_082516.jpg

The first break in the road just before the next town. No roads for one KM although I was doing 80KMPH thanks to level surface. A new Skoda Octavia was doing similar speeds with me on this stretch.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_083150.jpg

One unfinished bridge. Thats all till Bannur.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_083358.jpg

Last two KMs to Bannur are unfinished. Start of the stretch

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_083549.jpg

Surface is very even although no tar. Can drive at decent speeds

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_083653.jpg

Last part was undone and a small traffic jam had formed due to <1 lane available

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_083804.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Roads in Bannur town have deteriorated massively, huge new ditches can be found in the middle of the road.
Well, roads in Bannur are fully tarred although there are potholes even on the new surface. Still, its a million times better than before. Picture taken in front of Bannur Bus Stand

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_084151.jpg

Veterans would remember that there was an unpaved stretch for years. That part was tarred a year ago and that stretch is still fantastic. However when that stretch ends, roads are back to being bad.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_084509.jpg

Cross the Kaveri River, roads start to be as wide as Malavalli - Bannur Stretch. However -

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_084827.jpg

There were a total of 7 unfinished bridges between Bannur and Mysore. Clouds were starting to get darker so I reduced my stoppages.

Road widening in Progress between Bannur and Mysore.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150628_085454.jpg

I'm hoping the roads between Malavalli and Mysore will be fully done in another 4 months!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 6th July 2015 at 22:58.
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:27   #479
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The collapsible barriers/barricades on Bangalore-Mysore Road have been claimed to be successful and the PWD is now proposing to replace speed humps with such barricades on busy roads across the state.
Quote:
The Public Works Department (PWD) is mulling replacing road humps with collapsible barriers on all busy roads in the state following it's success on the Bengaluru-Mysuru state highway.
Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 11 July 2017 - Link
Old 11th July 2015, 15:47   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Was there in times of India to. Glad to hear that they consider it a success. So looks like humps will not be back soon. The fact that it reduces driving time by 15-20 min is true. Only point, which is a key one is that during times of high traffic, humps are more effective than barriers due to the general indiscipline of the drivers.

Hope this will not result in unauthorized hump creation by locals. This was a big problem few years back.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th July 2015 at 15:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks