Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 10:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Folks going to Coonoor from Bangalore: if you want to reach fast and are ok with missing the beautiful forest stretch, you might want to consider Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi -Mattupalayam route. I went on this recently, and was able to reach Coonoor from Sarjapur Road in ~ 6 hours. Coming back, it took 6.5 hours, including a 30 min break. One way distance was about 380 km. This is about 80 km extra. But takes less time to cover.

There are a few diversions before Avinashi, and the Mettupalayam Ghat road is painful (slow moving heavy vehicles). Otherwise, almost 300km of this route is suitable for high speed cruising.

Folks going to Ooty: I feel the normal route through Bandipur etc. is still better, since Ooty - Coonoor takes quite a lot of time to cover during daytime, due to slow moving hill traffic.

@A350XWB: yes, I was referring to NH 209. That is a far more scenic route in any case, and goes somewhat parallel to the elephant corridor existing between the Nilgiris and Bannerghata. As I have mentioned before, there are broken stretches immediately before Kollegal. And there are a few broken stretches b/w Chamarajanagar and Gundlepet. Rest of the road is fine for 80-100kmph cruising.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th March 2012 at 10:34.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

Look at my post 399 in this thread for latest condition of NH 209. It definitely makes sense to travel till Malavalli and then onwards via Bannur to Mysore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2726027
Old 26th March 2012, 21:11   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
@A350XWB: yes, I was referring to NH 209. That is a far more scenic route in any case, and goes somewhat parallel to the elephant corridor existing between the Nilgiris and Bannerghata. As I have mentioned before, there are broken stretches immediately before Kollegal. And there are a few broken stretches b/w Chamarajanagar and Gundlepet. Rest of the road is fine for 80-100kmph cruising.
nilanjanray, I'm just back from a drive through NH209 from Calicut. The roads are in pretty good condition. Could easily manage 40-50 Km/h even at the worst parts. Only problem in that stretch is the really narrow lanes inside the villages; some parts are really a car's width only. Luckily, never got stuck due to buses or trucks.
Old 4th April 2012, 21:21   #94
BHPian

NH-209 to become 4L Toll Road

Good news to all NH-209 fans !

Heard that NHAI has decided to upgrade NH-209 as a 4L Toll Road. Initial phase will be from NICE Road exit till Kanakapura (bye-pass) and involve straightening of many (blind) curves & improving the shouldering throughout. The 2nd phase would be from Kanakapura till about Chamarajanagar near TamilNadu border (sounds similar to the 4L work done till about Mulbagal which can be considered near Andhra border on NH-4).
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 21:26   #95
Team-BHP Support

Re: NH-209 to become 4L Toll Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Good news to all NH-209 fans !

Heard that NHAI has decided to upgrade NH-209 as a 4L Toll Road. Initial phase will be from NICE Road exit till Kanakapura (bye-pass) and involve straightening of many (blind) curves & improving the shouldering throughout.
There goes the beauty of Kanakpura road into the wind! Though it would improve the driving condition, nothing like driving on 2L lined with trees on both sides!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 22:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

Does this road's traffic density warrants a 4 lane conversion?

From my recent 2 trips in this route during daytime, i could see hardly any such traffic.
Old 4th April 2012, 22:16   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There goes the beauty of Kanakpura road into the wind! Though it would improve the driving condition, nothing like driving on 2L lined with trees on both sides!
Can't agree more !
The pic here is what I believe Mysore Road was before 4L conversion and I feel this was somewhere near Ramanagara where you have a bit of hilly terrain.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp road1.bmp (366.9 KB, 914 views)
ajithbr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 22:52   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Does this road's traffic density warrants a 4 lane conversion?

From my recent 2 trips in this route during daytime, i could see hardly any such traffic.
Too early to comment, I think.

The traffic density is almost similar (or slightly lesser) to that of Krishnagiri->Vellore stretch, I feel. In fact, even now, there are drivers(especially, lorry traffic from Tumkur/Nelamangala side) who take Mysore->Nanjangud route to goto Chamarajanagar/Sathyamangalam towards Coimbatore/Pollachi/Erode/Tiruppur, mainly because of the facilities (dhabas, petrol bunks etc.) enroute. Please have a look at the number or lorries, mostly TN ones, passing through the NICE Road exit onto Mysore road from Tumkur/Nelamangala side and you will know the potential traffic that could switch over to this upgraded route. And there are lots of traffic in this route during Sabarimala season in the last couple of seasons.
Old 5th April 2012, 06:38   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If I were heading to Coonoor, I would pop up to Ooty via the normal Bandipur stretch, get into Ooty and out via the Doddabetta road towards Kotagiri.
At Kattabettu I would turn right towards Coonoor and get to Coonoor on that Kotagiri - Coonoor road which is nice. I guess it would take 6.5 to 7 hours give or take.
If one leaves very early in the morning, one normally gets to Ooty by lunch time - say one leaves at about 530am, one is normally in Ooty by 12 ish.
Better to take one day off and leave on a weekday rather than on a weekend.
Again, when returning, better to leave Ooty by 9am or so, so as to return home to Bangalore by 230-3pm instead of braving the usual late morning and afternoon traffic towards Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Folks going to Coonoor from Bangalore: if you want to reach fast and are ok with missing the beautiful forest stretch, you might want to consider Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi -Mattupalayam route. I went on this recently, and was able to reach Coonoor from Sarjapur Road in ~ 6 hours. Coming back, it took 6.5 hours, including a 30 min break. One way distance was about 380 km. This is about 80 km extra. But takes less time to cover.

There are a few diversions before Avinashi, and the Mettupalayam Ghat road is painful (slow moving heavy vehicles). Otherwise, almost 300km of this route is suitable for high speed cruising.

Folks going to Ooty: I feel the normal route through Bandipur etc. is still better, since Ooty - Coonoor takes quite a lot of time to cover during daytime, due to slow moving hill traffic.

Old 5th April 2012, 08:39   #100
Team-BHP Support

News for Other side of NH209. (Dindigul-CBE)

The Hindu : Cities / Coimbatore : NHAI takes up study to widen Pollachi Road

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...s-nhai-project
Old 5th April 2012, 09:08   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Precisely. I take that route to break the monotony of driving through Mysore road. NH209 drive was always refreshing, with that close to nature feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Does this road's traffic density warrants a 4 lane conversion? From my recent 2 trips in this route during daytime, i could see hardly any such traffic.
I also have not encountered much traffic in all these years, but maybe they want to divert some traffic off the Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet route. It makes more sense to take NH209, if you are going beyond Gundlupet and if the road is made 4 lane, you can shave off a considerable amount of time also.
Old 5th April 2012, 09:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
News for Other side of NH209
OT:

NH 209 has the worst traffic between Annur and Coimbatore(due to NH47 chaos). Coimbatore to Pollachi is also getting bad with some absolutely rash driving mannerisms. Pollachi to Palani is better, Palani has a byepass road, Palani to Dindugul is a breeze because the road gets wider.

I am wondering whether land acquisition for 4 laning will be hassle free, because already Coimbatore and around has a highly inflated valuation with industrial houses and politicos owning them.
Old 5th April 2012, 10:37   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Can't agree more !
The pic here is what I believe Mysore Road was before 4L conversion and I feel this was somewhere near Ramanagara where you have a bit of hilly terrain.
That picture reminds me the Hubli - Yellapur stretch when going to Goa, its tree lined in similar manner is a reflief to drive on these roads.

Even if they convert to 4L it would be good if they can plant trees along the sides, which would be unique and also the best road to drive on
Old 30th April 2012, 10:40   #104
Senior - BHPian

Happenned to travel to Mysore yesterday - sunday - to attend a function in the family.

We left around 10.15 from Kanakapura road junction of NICE road and took NH 209 till Malavalli and then drove via Bannur to reach Hardinge Circle - Mysore palace - around 12.50 PM. I was sceptical about Malvalli - Bannur - Mysore stretch. But the road is in very good condition except for three KMS before, after and inside Bannur town. Broken with potholes, but manageable easily.

On the way back, we left Hardinge Circle at 3.30 PM and were back at Kanakapura road junction of NICE road at 6.05 PM.

We did not take any break and maximum speed was 110 KMPH. Overall a very pleasnt and peaceful drive indeed!!

Last edited by Fauji : 30th April 2012 at 10:44.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:56   #105
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile has anyone driven through Begur/HDKote/Hunsur section?

That would be fun driving around Saraguru with the Nugu reservoir in the background.
How is that road today?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks