Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 13:00   #106
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Moral of the story - Avoid leaving Mysore for Bangalore after 5 PM and plan to leave around 3 PM so that the traffic is less and you can have a comfortable ride.
Saar,

Missed this thread and on Sunday, 13th May 2012, I comiitted the sin of exiting Mysore at 5.00 pm during my return trip from Ooty

Every town upto BLR had terrible traffic jam and the bumper to bumper traffic was worse than the city traffic. It took me 4 hours to reach NICE Road on my way to Nelamangala. I was mentally drained after MYSR- BLR stretch.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:28   #107
BHPian

Quote:

Moral of the story - Avoid leaving Mysore for Bangalore after 5 PM and plan to leave around 3 PM so that the traffic is less and you can have a comfortable ride.

Any other suggestions?

I know it is always difficult to time the return from Mysore, due to domestic compulsions.

But, whenever possible, I always start from Mysore on Sundays at 0630 in the morning. The road upto Whitefiled is nearly empty.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:35   #108
BHPian

Made a one day trip from BLR-MYS and back on 12th May. Onward was done via the regular SH-17 because of gastronomic reasons (read: breakfast) . The SH was choc-a-bloc with traffic right from BLR upto MYS.

The return run was via Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura stretch and needless to say, the drive was very peaceful and i drove at leisurely speeds of 60-70 kmph and had two stoppages with very heavy rain all the way from Kanakapura to BLR and still i clocked a time of 3.5 hrs.

Thanks to Fauji and others for recommending this option over the regular SH-17.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:38   #109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Could you detail out this route to me? I might use it next time I head off to the hills.
I am particularly interested in the Exit/ Entry points to Bangalore because I live at the other end - more easily accessible from the NICE Road-Hosur Road side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Made a one day trip from BLR-MYS and back on 12th May. Onward was done via the regular SH-17 because of gastronomic reasons (read: breakfast) . The SH was choc-a-bloc with traffic right from BLR upto MYS.

The return run was via Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura stretch and needless to say, the drive was very peaceful and i drove at leisurely speeds of 60-70 kmph and had two stoppages with very heavy rain all the way from Kanakapura to BLR and still i clocked a time of 3.5 hrs.

Thanks to Fauji and others for recommending this option over the regular SH-17.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:49   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Could you detail out this route to me? I might use it next time I head off to the hills.
I am particularly interested in the Exit/ Entry points to Bangalore because I live at the other end - more easily accessible from the NICE Road-Hosur Road side.
@Shankar sir :

You can get off the Kanakapura Road exit and take left proceed on NH-209 right upto Malavalli and take the SH-33 via Bannur and at Mysore you can either take a right turn via Ring Road to reach the regular SH-17 (Columbia Asia Hospital) or proceed straight which will reach you to Nazarbad and further.

But, for the hills (Nilgiris), you can take the turnoff at Malavalli, proceed via Kollegal & Chamrajnagar (via NH209) and hit Gundlupet. The roads are quite good as quoted in the previous posts by both Fauji and Nilanjan Ray who use these roads quite frequently.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:12   #111
BANNED

Thanks Rajesh!
Can you also tell me if I can use this route if I am heading to Coorg?
And I request please just call me by name - all this Sir business is unnecessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
@Shankar sir :

You can get off the Kanakapura Road exit and take left proceed on NH-209 right upto Malavalli and take the SH-33 via Bannur and at Mysore you can either take a right turn via Ring Road to reach the regular SH-17 (Columbia Asia Hospital) or proceed straight which will reach you to Nazarbad and further.

But, for the hills (Nilgiris), you can take the turnoff at Malavalli, proceed via Kollegal & Chamrajnagar (via NH209) and hit Gundlupet. The roads are quite good as quoted in the previous posts by both Fauji and Nilanjan Ray who use these roads quite frequently.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:20   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajesh!
Can you also tell me if I can use this route if I am heading to Coorg?
And I request please just call me by name - all this Sir business is unnecessary!
If you are heading to Coorg you need to take deviation (right) from Malavalli. Pass through Bannur and you will reach Mysore ring road. The road from Malavalli till Mysore ring road Colombia Asia hospital signal is good. Only a 500mts strech near Bannur is having bad surface. However look out for speedbreakers at all intersections.
Once you reach Colombia Asia junction you can join Hunsur road. However Mysore ring road is in bad shape due to widening work going on.
Bengaluru, Karnataka to Madikeri, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 15th May 2012, 14:38   #113
Senior - BHPian

I travelled between Pune and Shirdi - a distance of 200 Kms - which is a nice four lane road. The road passes through towns and city and traffic is heavy especilayy till Ahmednagar.

I noticed that there is not a single road hump/speedbreakers/barricades on the entire stretch. I just fail to undertand what stops our police to make the Bangalore - Mysore road hump free. That's why i commented on another thread sometime that the cops here are very soft!!
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 15:22   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that there is not a single road hump/speedbreakers/barricades on the entire stretch. I just fail to undertand what stops our police to make the Bangalore - Mysore road hump free. That's why i commented on another thread sometime that the cops here are very soft!!
Completely agree with you. Inside Bangalore I have to drive over 11 humps to get out of a congested road of 400 mts. On Bangalore -Mysore road especially if travelling early morning (read when road empty) you will reach another hump by time you accelarate and shift to 5th gear after slowing for first hump.
Old 15th May 2012, 15:33   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I just fail to undertand what stops our police to make the Bangalore - Mysore road hump free.
The humps you find on the mysore highway are not really by the cops as such. These are done by the local villagers with the help of the village admin heads.

The steel barriers are put up by the traffic cops.

Mind you, these humps are increasing on a daily basis.

i am just waiting for the BMIC to be ready. I dont mind paying toll for a Shift and brake free travel all the way to mysore.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 15th May 2012 at 15:34.
Old 15th May 2012, 15:47   #116
BANNED

Thanks a lot.
Will try this route next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If you are heading to Coorg you need to take deviation (right) from Malavalli. Pass through Bannur and you will reach Mysore ring road. The road from Malavalli till Mysore ring road Colombia Asia hospital signal is good. Only a 500mts strech near Bannur is having bad surface. However look out for speedbreakers at all intersections.
Once you reach Colombia Asia junction you can join Hunsur road. However Mysore ring road is in bad shape due to widening work going on.
Bengaluru, Karnataka to Madikeri, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 15th May 2012, 15:48   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
i am just waiting for the BMIC to be ready. I dont mind paying toll for a Shift and brake free travel all the way to mysore.
As of now I guess BMIC work to Mysore (as part of NICE road) is stopped. I remember seeing a news in paper mentioning that there was a suggestion to have a new allignment for Bangalore-Mysore road. So that means no respite from the traffic for many years down.
Old 15th May 2012, 15:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
Will try this route next visit.
This is what we take everytime we drive to Mysore .
Old 19th May 2012, 10:31   #119
Senior - BHPian

Guys

I am leaving for Mysore today afternoon and after going through this thread and personally experiencing the traffic on Mysore Road, i want to explore the kanakapura road

Need some guidance here. I can understand that the route is Kanakapura-malavalli-bannur-Mysore (2 lane route)

I havent been on this route since ages and never driven here beyond say Kanakapura.
So can anyone highlight any confusion, diversion etc on this route ?

Do we have signboards for mysore ? or i need to keep asking the villagers ?

Or do i really need to take this route ? How good or bad is Traffic to Mysore in the afternoon(2-5) ?
Sorry for the short notice, but do let me know if there is anything about this route that i need to know before driving.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 19th May 2012 at 10:33.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 10:51   #120
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Need some guidance here. I can understand that the route is Kanakapura-malavalli-bannur-Mysore (2 lane route)
I havent been on this route since ages and never driven here beyond say Kanakapura.
So can anyone highlight any confusion, diversion etc on this route ?
Do we have signboards for mysore ? or i need to keep asking the villagers ?
Or do i really need to take this route ? How good or bad is Traffic to Mysore in the afternoon(2-5) ?
Sorry for the short notice, but do let me know if there is anything about this route that i need to know before driving.
Raj, I don't think this route is confusing, it does have enough signages though may not be for Mysore (till you reach Malavalli junction) but definitely for Kanakapura, Chamarajpet, Kollegal.
I think you live close to old madras road so you can take :
1. inner ring road, koramangala and get to Hosur Road (at the end of inner ring road make a left turn)
2. Head straight on Hosur Road but don't take the elevated highway. Get onto service road on left just after Hosa Road (Parappana Agrahara) signal. Here you will see the NICE Road ramp on your left immediately after PES college. Use NICE Road to Bannerghatta, exit it and get onto other side of NICE Road and exit at Kanakapura Road.
3.Head straight on Kanakapura Road - after Kanakapura town you will get Malavalli junction (T junction) with left going towards Shivanasamdura/Chamarajnagar/Kollegal and right to Mysore. You need to make a right turn here and reach Bannur/Mysore.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 19th May 2012 at 10:54. Reason: typo fixed
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed