Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:38   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys, how much % of the new expressway is officially open now ? I am in madikeri and wanted to try this route if it is ready. My usual route would be via arakalgod and join mangalore highway. Is it worth travelling via Mysore?

I am travelling in the morning to avoid evening crowd.
For this weekend, please avoid it. There is heavy traffic for Dasara. Even the city roads are badly choked.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 18:01   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys, how much % of the new expressway is officially open now ? I am in madikeri and wanted to try this route if it is ready. My usual route would be via arakalgod and join mangalore highway. Is it worth travelling via Mysore?

I am travelling in the morning to avoid evening crowd.
I actually ended up taking this stretch due to unavoidable work in Mysore. However pleasantly surprised with the amount of work(especially Mysore to Bangalore stretch). My guess is around 70% is ready now for driving. I crossed the Mysore ring road around 1:30pm and was at NICE junction by 3:15pm

but I would definitely avoid this during peak hours. New road can only mean all the traffic will flow to these ends much faster and then result in complete choking at city entrance.
Old 3rd October 2022, 00:14   #1278
Senior - BHPian

In the last couple of weeks, I had to drive on this stretch for few times. Some details:
  • Bangalore home to NICE road junction (city drive): 20 Km, 40 min to 1 Hour
  • NICE road junction to till 10 Km before Maddur (new stretch, 6 lanes fenced): 60 Km, 40 minutes (in dry weather)
  • Maddur to Mysore home (Old 4 lane divided, unfenced, construction zone): 70 Km, 1.5 hour
Similar figures for return. Kumbalgodu flyover is open on the forward journey and Mandya bypass is available for the return journey, so it evens out.

Few observations on the new stretch:
1) The new road from NICE junction till Ramanagara is a new path and it hardly meets the old road. After Ramanagara, it is the old road widened to 6 lanes and fenced. When it's complete, the total length is 118 Km.
2) On a clear day, it is easy to main 120 Kmph on the new stretch. But when it rains, be careful. There have been few accidents.
3) Currently the drive is pleasant since there are hardly any two-wheelers and very minimal truck and bus traffic.
4) Once you enter the 6-lane road, there are no fuel stations or food stations. In case you need fuel or food, you have to exit the 6-lane road, and enter the service roads. Currently, these exits are marked and people can leave & enter since there are no tolls.
6) Restaurants before and after this 60 Km stretch are packed. The food break can easily take 1 hour.

Last edited by msdivy : 3rd October 2022 at 00:25.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 09:56   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Towards Bangalore, Is Mandya bypass really open? I hear mixed information that it is open and it is not open. Anyone traveled today, yesterday?
Old 8th October 2022, 16:34   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Towards Bangalore, Is Mandya bypass really open? I hear mixed information that it is open and it is not open. Anyone traveled today, yesterday?
It is partially open, there is a deviation just before entering Mandya. This will lead you over railway track and joins the bypass.
I travelled to Bangalore last weekend on this bypass, since it was at midnight and not many people knew about it. I and another KSRTC bus were the only vehicles on this bypass.

It could have been opened due to high traffic during Dasara. Please check once. Similarly the flyover towards Bangalore near Kumbalgodu was also open one way last Saturday, but was closed when I was travelling to Bangalore last Sunday.

Another BHPian has also posted about it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5413049 (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore)

Take a left at this junction after the speedbreaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-screenshot_20221008162959_maps.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 15:27   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It is partially open, there is a deviation just before entering Mandya. This will lead you over railway track and joins the bypass.
I travelled to Bangalore last weekend on this bypass, since it was at midnight and not many people knew about it. I and another KSRTC bus were the only vehicles on this bypass.

It could have been opened due to high traffic during Dasara. Please check once. Similarly the flyover towards Bangalore near Kumbalgodu was also open one way last Saturday, but was closed when I was travelling to Bangalore last Sunday.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5413049 (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore)

Thank you for this update. I just took this route and was a breeze. My car was the only car
in this route. Just be mindful that opposite traffic might come in you same lane.
Old 9th October 2022, 16:40   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There is no direction banner anymore. Thanks to your post was able to correctly spot the road to take today. But since there was no direction banner, and no vehicles were turning left, I was uncertain whether to take it. Also saw the gate was closed at that time and there was a queue of vehicles, so ended up deciding against taking it..

Kumbalagodu flyover was open for vehicles going towards Mysore using the lanes towards Bangalore. Guess some minor works are happening.
Old 9th October 2022, 17:57   #1283
HTC
BANNED

Quote:

Was planning to try this bypass today.

Started around 12pm from Mysore. Saw considerable density of vehicles towards Bengaluru. There was a minor traffic jam opposite Srirangapatana bus stand. Since my AC blower is bust, can't use AC and have to keep the windows open. Thought of avoiding road rash in fast moving traffic on highway. So quickly rerouted towards malavalli to join Kanakapura route. Felt it was a good decision as the village roads were in good condition. Except for more than necessary count of road humps, the journey was peaceful.

With green fields on both sides, could keep the windows down and didnt miss the AC at all. Rest of journey from malavalli to Bengaluru was uneventful with sparse traffic.
Old 9th October 2022, 19:51   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for posting this. It helped me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Also saw the gate was closed at that time and there was a queue of vehicles, so ended up deciding against taking it.
What time was it? 1:20pm? Then I was there in that queue. It was just for 2 mins and we crossed it and then merged to bypass.

I don’t know why they removed the diversion banner. Most people won’t know there is this bypass partially opened.

The main carriageway of the bypass is not open throughout, but the service lanes beside it are in good condition. So this bypass is still worth it and Mandya traffic can be avoided.
Old 9th October 2022, 21:30   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Thanks a lot for posting this. It helped me today.

What time was it? 1:20pm? Then I was there in that queue. It was just for 2 mins and we crossed it and then merged to bypass.
No, this was earlier. Around 12pm. Thought it was an expensive mistake as I ran into a major jam at the Mandya main signal. Surprisingly it cleared very quickly.
Old 10th October 2022, 17:32   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Did mistake of taking the Mysore Bangalore express highway yesterday while returning from Wayanad. There were horrible pileups and it took me 4+ hours from Srirangapatna to JP Nagar
Old 11th October 2022, 15:53   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Mysore and back today. While driving to Mysore, the flyover near Kumbalgod was open for traffic towards Bangalore and during my return to Bangalore, it was the other way around.
Mandya bypass was partially closed, but the service road is in good condition and can be used. You will be joining the bypass much later than what it was in the past week.
Old 13th October 2022, 11:20   #1288
BHPian

Anyone from East Bangalore have travelled recently to Mysore? Does it make sense to take the Belur Cross route over the new Mysore expressway?

I shudder at the thought of crossing the city all the way to NICE road, at about 7-8 am, on a week day ( I am travelling next week). The route through Nelamangala looks less daunting.

Any advice would be welcome!
Old 13th October 2022, 12:54   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Anyone from East Bangalore have travelled recently to Mysore? Does it make sense to take the Belur Cross route over the new Mysore expressway?

I shudder at the thought of crossing the city all the way to NICE road, at about 7-8 am, on a week day ( I am travelling next week). The route through Nelamangala looks less daunting.

Any advice would be welcome!
If you can start on or before 7AM, I would suggest to cross the city and not go through NICE raod, as you would be in opposite direction of daily commuter traffic.

Stick to Mysore road via Madder and Mandya, on week days it is cool to drive. With Bidadi, Ramanagara and Channapatana bypass and Kumbalagodu flyover, it is cool drive. Better and faster than via Bellur cross.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 13:20   #1290
BHPian

So I had ridden to Ooty on the new "partially" opened Bangalore - Mysore expressway on the Dussehra weekend.

Here are some things I noticed:

For the amount of expenditure the project boasts, the road quality is not so "world-class", I could find lots of undulations on the highway, not only at the entry/exit of flyovers but also on straight roads. Long-term reliability when completely open is a question mark.

In the typical "Bengaluru" style, the flyover joints are not smooth.

Entry/Exit on those railway bridges could have been smoother, it's at an awkward angle, Volvos/Cars carrying high speed will need to be cautious over these bridges. To add to the mix, some engineers have thought adding smooth tar over these bridges would be a good idea.

I think it was due to the Dussehra weekend, the traffic seemed to be on the higher side for a 6-lane highway, will have to check this out on a normal weekend.

Happy to have ridden to Ooty in 4.5 hrs , started at 6:40 AM from N Bangalore, and reached Ooty via Masinagudi.
FURY_44 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks