Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 18:24   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

I had travelled to Shivanasamudra on the previous Sunday and had a stopover at Adigas for dinner on the way back. Man that restaurant has become so bad and I believe in only running on its name. We had ordered Dosa, Noodles and Baby corn Manchurian. Never have I had such cold, bad tasting food ever. When I complained about it, they didn't even bother to listen and simply took the money (not that I asked for any discount). Anyways a place to avoid!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 10:15   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I had travelled to Shivanasamudra on the previous Sunday and had a stopover at Adigas for dinner on the way back. Man that restaurant has become so bad and I believe in only running on its name. We had ordered Dosa, Noodles and Baby corn Manchurian. Never have I had such cold, bad tasting food ever. When I complained about it, they didn't even bother to listen and simply took the money (not that I asked for any discount). Anyways a place to avoid!
If you are referring to the Vasudeva Adigas at Maddur, I have heard similar feedback from many others recently. The original owner Mr. Vasudeva Adiga sold the brand and has started a new chain 'Paakashala'.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 11:13   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Ok with a 320d may need to think twice. Some potholes in the forest are definitely bad. Still I think better than the round about Chamrajnagar route with its own set of problems.
HD kote - Bavali route is in bad condition now. Travellers to wayanad should take gundalpet route
Old 30th October 2022, 13:11   #1309
BHPian

Headed to Shivanasamudra, and thereafter K. Gudi JLR for a day, starting tomorrow morning at 7 AM from central bengaluru. Taking the expressway route till Maddur. Travelling with wife and infant.
1. Need good options/place to stop for breakfast, prior to touching shivanasamudra (asking because the previous popular eateries are bypassed on the mysore expressway)
Pretty bad reviews about Tiffany's at maddur recently, do we have other options?

2. Any inputs on best route/road conditions/rest stops, between maddur and K.Gudi?
3. Regarding the barachukki/gaganchukki circuit, which is the best time to visit to avoid crowds? If we had to choose between the two waterfalls, which is the better option?
4. Is Talakadu worth visiting (have the rest of the day after checking out from JLR at 11 AM), or are there alternative places to spend the rest of the day on the way back to bangalore?

Thank you in advance!
Old 30th October 2022, 13:29   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Headed to Shivanasamudra, and thereafter K. Gudi JLR for a day, starting tomorrow morning at 7 AM from central bengaluru. Taking the expressway route till Maddur. Travelling with wife and infant.
1. Need good options/place to stop for breakfast, prior to touching shivanasamudra (asking because the previous popular eateries are bypassed on the mysore expressway)
Pretty bad reviews about Tiffany's at maddur recently, do we have other options?

2. Any inputs on best route/road conditions/rest stops, between maddur and K.Gudi?
3. Regarding the barachukki/gaganchukki circuit, which is the best time to visit to avoid crowds? If we had to choose between the two waterfalls, which is the better option?
4. Is Talakadu worth visiting (have the rest of the day after checking out from JLR at 11 AM), or are there alternative places to spend the rest of the day on the way back to bangalore?

Thank you in advance!
You can also opt for Kanakpura route if you are visiting Shivanasamudra. Roads are in decent shape last time I travelled on this road. Post Kanakpura, there is less traffic as well.
There is a good Veg restarurant in Malavalli, Saviruchi https://g.page/saviruchi-veg?share
Food is good and has clean restrooms.

Both waterfalls are equally good. My preference is for Barachukki.

Talakuda is a good option if leaving from K. Gudi. You can reach there in about 90 mins from JLR camp.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 13:12   #1311
BHPian

I will be travelling to Mysuru on 26th for Kaveri Trail Marathon (on 27th), though I booked their bus as a back-up plan, but waking up at 2 am and 21km run at 6 am is not my cup of tea. Will rather travel up the day before and wake up relaxed at 4 am. Will try to post my trip log for that, and the overall experience of the KTM. I travelled the Kanakpura route to Gopinatham a month or so back, I remember vowing not to take that route based on the traffic I faced on the return. Earlier that used to be my go-to route to visit Mysuru. Greenery and less traffic used to be the plus point. Now it's too congested for my taste. This time around I will explore the expressway ! Yay !!
Old 14th December 2022, 06:33   #1312
BHPian

I had to drive to Mysore on the 12th of Dec. It was an emergency and despite the rain the journey was inevitable.
The good news is that except Mandya town, every other bypass is ready on the way up and open. It was a breeze to get through with no local traffic.
The bad news is
A. Insane design of the highway, it is bumpy with a lot of deep curves
B. Practically no drainage, there were large puddles both in the inner and outer lanes, making the center lane the only viable one to avoid aquaplanig. Water even splashes across the median when anyone drives through puddles on the other side
C. Show moving traffic occupying lanes, not just trucks, autos, two wheelers and even tractors.
D. People driving in the opposite direction after entering the expressway and realizing they needed to exit earlier.
E. No space/ lay by for break downs
F. In some places fencing is not complete, so busses stop to let people off, locals cross the highway. Two wheeler riders cross the median, in someplace it is broken to facilitate this
G. Complete lack of facilities including no facilities for fuel if you don't plan well
H.I witnessed three near misses and one real fender bender. Luckily no major injuries to anyone.
I. Extreme speeding and lane hopping, this is a completely Indian issue but just this highway.

Last edited by skrao : 14th December 2022 at 06:57. Reason: Spelling, grammar and one additional point
skrao is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 22:28   #1313
BHPian

Team, I am sure my question doesn't belong to this thread, but it is linked with Mysore. Asking here since this thread is very active.
Mods, please move to appropriate thread.

Now to my question.
Family and I will be doing a fun trip from 22nd to 24th Dec. We will be coming by VB Express from Chennai.
Can someone please suggest a reasonable and safe taxi operator who can take us to the tourist locations?
I will be staying in a hotel Southern Star, if this detail is helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December 2022, 22:01   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks

Need some guidance please.

Have planned a trip to Mysore and then to Wayanad later this week, with my family (wife and 10 year old son). Plan is to leave Bangalore by around 6:30am, do some sightseeing on the way, have breakfast and reach mysore at a leisurely pace before lunch. I’m thinking of visiting the Big Banyan Tree and the Ranganathittu bird park enroute to mysore. Are these two places not too far away from the Bangalore - Mysore highway?
What could be the other options I can check out without taking too much of a deviation? I also thought about the Tipu Sultan palace in Srirangapatna, but I’m not sure my 10 year old son is fancying a visit to some historical site.

Also, once in Mysore, what are the places to check out? The palace and the zoo come to mind, but are there any other interesting places for an evening visit? Brindavan gardens, maybe?

And would also be great to get suggestions on some good restaurants in mysore for lunch and dinner as well as breakfast options on the Bangalore-Mysore highway. Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2022, 00:00   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hi Folks

Have planned a trip to Mysore and then to Wayanad later this week,
For a 6:30 am start, Big Banyan tree is too early a time to reach there. And it is just a big banyan tree, nothing much as such except just relax underneath, but you having a long drive ahead, there isn't a need to relax as soon as you start.

So Ranganthittu is a better bet. Yes, a bit of detour from highway and towards KRS dam. But not too far. Try that, kid will like it.

Breakfast can be tried at Shivalli restaurant, before Maddur or Hotel Amaravathi and Mandya.

At mysore, for a local cuisine in a local set up, try Hotel Mylari once for their delicious butter dosas.

Brindavan means, again you have to head towards outskirts. Not a bad idea though. Palace can be the first option if you have never visited it. But guess if it is evening, it will not be opened. But you can walk around it.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 06:11   #1316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree that Big Banyan is not worth the detour. It's better off as a day's picnic from Bangalore.

Ranganthitthu you will spend more time. My suggestion would be go past Mysore and look at places like Kabini/Nugu or Gopalswamy Betta (Note cars now are not allowed to the top. There is a bus which takes up from the foothill).

Another option is to visit Somnathpura or Talakkad and head out to Waynad. In fact I would suggest this option to be the best one.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 08:25   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks

Have planned a trip to Mysore and then to Wayanad later this week, with my family (wife and 10 year old son). Plan is to leave Bangalore by around 6:30am, do some sightseeing on the way, have breakfast and reach mysore at a leisurely pace before lunch.

And would also be great to get suggestions on some good restaurants in mysore for lunch and dinner as well as breakfast options on the Bangalore-Mysore highway. Thanks!

I think you should just drive down to Mysore and then spend more time there. As ampere as mentioned maybe drive down to Kabini/Bandipur side. Probably KRS is one option, but that is also best done in evening time.

On breakfast stops, keep in mind that with large parts of the expressway open, you bypass most places till past Maddur. With the expressway exits etc still not clearly marked, before you know it you will be past Maddur and on the way to Mandya. Suggest to predecide where you want to stop and understand the location in advance. Google maps also may behave weird on the expressway as it is not fully updated on the expressway sections. So do some advance checks on where you would need to exit if you need to hit specific places.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:20   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks

Have planned a trip to Mysore and then to Wayanad later this week, with my family (wife and 10 year old son).
If you are planning to drive on Friday or Saturday, the roads are going to be crazy with vacation traffic. I have had the experience of taking upto 7 hours to Mysore on long weekends albeit a couple of years back.
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:10   #1319
BHPian

Did a Mysore trip last week, traveled from Bangalore on Wednesday and came back on the 31st Saturday.

Took the Nelamangala > Yediyur > Nagamangala > Mysore route, Roads were pretty decent, not much traffic encountered, took a little less than 3 hours to reach.

On the return, took the new expressway, construction is still in progress and drove quite a bit in the service lane, drive was unengaging.

Note - Those who want to go to Ranganathitthu, please stick to the Service road after Mysore, I followed google maps and got onto the Expressway, and there was no way to get back on to the service road, I had to travel close to 8 KM before I found a service way entrance, that too was being closed by workers.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 16:16   #1320
BHPian

Last bypass which was not opened (Mandya) earlier is now open, but still markings are not done. This was a bottleneck in the day time travel.

Non-peak hour travel can now be done in 2 hours with caution at diversions here and there. Overall, only 10% of work is left to be completed. Beware, signages and lanes markings are still missing at many places.
jaaz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks