Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 12:11   #61
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Guys need one help :

What is the exact route from BLR-MYS ( Via Kanakapura )? Is it like this :
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore. How is the road condition of the entire stretch?

Seriously have to think of using the above stretch if driving in daytimes on the MYS-BLR road.

Not worried if there are no hotels, we can always keep some light refreshments for the way. Also, is it safe to travel in this road in the late evening hours, say between 6-10 pm ?
Old 11th October 2011, 12:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Guys need one help :

Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore. How is the road condition of the entire stretch?

Seriously have to think of using the above stretch if driving in daytimes on the MYS-BLR road.

Not worried if there are no hotels, we can always keep some light refreshments for the way. Also, is it safe to travel in this road in the late evening hours, say between 6-10 pm ?
We asked a few locals while returning from ooty just before entering the Nanjangud-Mysore-Bangalore stretch if the alternative route via kanakapura will save anytime. It was around 8pm and they said its not the best idea to take this route at night if you're travelling for the first time as there are numerous deviations. I was told Mysore to Bangalore via Mandya, Maddur etc. is a safer option.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Guys need one help :

You can take the route that you have mentioned. The road is not that good after Malavalli but till Malavalli from Bangalore, the road is great. There is very little traffic and the road is a pleasure to drive. I have driven on this road recently and enjoyed it. Earlier, there used to be some potholes and the road inside Kanakpura town was horrible, but now everything is very good. Even the road after Malavalli has improved a bit, although there are still some bad stretches. I tried the Mysore road and the traffic was horrible and would prefer Kanakpura road any day. The only issue is the lack of hotels, but there are some new hotels coming up before Kanakpura, so it is not that bad.
Also, it would be better to avoid this road after dark, because the road doesn't have a divider and has a lot of curves, so it would be difficult to drive with all the high beam lights in your eyes.

Last edited by Newpunter : 11th October 2011 at 13:11.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 13:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
We asked a few locals while returning from ooty just before entering the Nanjangud-Mysore-Bangalore stretch if the alternative route via kanakapura will save anytime. It was around 8pm and they said its not the best idea to take this route at night if you're travelling for the first time as there are numerous deviations. I was told Mysore to Bangalore via Mandya, Maddur etc. is a safer option.
When coming from Wayanad or Ooty, it's better to deviate from Gundlupet itself rather than Nanjangud. I've driven this way at least 8-10 times in late evenings (typically reaching Bangalore by 9 to 10 PM) over the last year, never found the roads to be totally deserted so as to be worried about safety.

Also the deviations shouldn't too much of a bother as long as you aren't travelling very late in the night. It's only when you cross the towns (Chamarajnagar and Kollegala specifically) that there can be a confusion, and you can always ask for directions to the next place (which could be a problem late at night). The turn to Bangalore at Malavalli (just before the town) is well marked and passing Kanakapura shouldn't be a problem either - you need to just stick to the divided road.
Old 11th October 2011, 15:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
You can take the route that you have mentioned. The road is not that good after Malavalli but till Malavalli from Bangalore, the road is great. There is very little traffic and the road is a pleasure to drive. I have driven on this road recently and enjoyed it. Earlier, there used to be some potholes and the road inside Kanakpura town was horrible, but now everything is very good. Even the road after Malavalli has improved a bit, although there are still some bad stretches. I tried the Mysore road and the traffic was horrible and would prefer Kanakpura road any day. The only issue is the lack of hotels, but there are some new hotels coming up before Kanakpura, so it is not that bad.
Also, it would be better to avoid this road after dark, because the road doesn't have a divider and has a lot of curves, so it would be difficult to drive with all the high beam lights in your eyes.
They were doing up the stretches between Bannur and Malavalli few months back and hopefully it must have been completed.

It is a single lane but wide enough, thus there is no need to fear even when you drive at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
When coming from Wayanad or Ooty, it's better to deviate from Gundlupet itself rather than Nanjangud. I've driven this way at least 8-10 times in late evenings (typically reaching Bangalore by 9 to 10 PM) over the last year, never found the roads to be totally deserted so as to be worried about safety.

Also the deviations shouldn't too much of a bother as long as you aren't travelling very late in the night. It's only when you cross the towns (Chamarajnagar and Kollegala specifically) that there can be a confusion, and you can always ask for directions to the next place (which could be a problem late at night). The turn to Bangalore at Malavalli (just before the town) is well marked and passing Kanakapura shouldn't be a problem either - you need to just stick to the divided road.
I think this is the best option to take if one is travelling to Ooty or Wayanad. Except for a small strecth of road between Chamarajanagar and Gndlupet - 29 KMs - which has few bad patches but easily manageable, it is a good road through out.
Old 12th October 2011, 00:40   #66
BHPian

During my weekend trip to Mysore, took the return trip to Bangalore on Sunday evening from Mysore that takes you through T Narsipura, Kollegal, Malavalli, Kanakapura, Bangalore. Here is the route condition:

1. Mysore to T Narsipura (~34 kms / NH212) - Single lane, narrow but good roads. Moderate traffic and Excellent scenery.

2. T Narsipura to Kollegal (~27 kms / NH212) - Single lane and average road conditions. A few deviations in between and the roads get bad for around 10 kms before Kollegal. But definitely drivable.

3. Kollegal to Bangalore (~140 kms / NH 209) - Excellent single lane roads all the way to Bangalore via Malavalli and Kanakapura. No traffic except a few minutes of stopping to cross narrow bridge just outside Kollegal.

It was raining cats and dogs Sunday evening all the way from T Narsipura to Bangalore and hence could not do good speeds. However had a relaxed drive. Took me 4 hours to reach Bangalore but this route can be done much faster on a normal day with clear skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-bangalore-mysore-via-kollegal.jpg  

Old 12th October 2011, 08:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
During my weekend trip to Mysore, took the return trip to Bangalore on Sunday evening from Mysore that takes you through T Narsipura, Kollegal, Malavalli, Kanakapura, Bangalore.
This route is nearly 200Km. Any reason for not going via Bannur, which would be just 150Km?
Old 12th October 2011, 08:47   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
This route is nearly 200Km. Any reason for not going via Bannur, which would be just 150Km?
It was mainly because I wanted to take the National highway expecting better road conditions as compared to a state highway.

Next time will try the Bannur route.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:47   #69
BHPian

Bannur to Malavalli is decent these days. I did the trip last week and the road was only bad in a few patches, otherwise, it was as good as the NH route through T-Narasipura and Kollegal ( did this route too on the same day ) .
Old 12th October 2011, 12:52   #70
BHPian

Many thanks guys.Going forward i will most certainly take this route on my future trips to Mysore and back. Will drive on SH-17 only if i am driving between 10 PM and 6 AM.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:08   #71
BHPian

drive on mysore blr high way has become rather painful because of increased vehicle population, lack of lane discipline amongst drivers. road from mysore till malavalli is in very bad condition. best bet is to take a park the car in railway station and take a train. every 45 min there is a train from both the sides. way lot cheaper too. for local transit, autos are easily available in mysore. i used to frequently drive to blr, but now i take train. slowly i have realised, it is lot better to travel in train as i get time to read. driving on the high way has lost its charm of old days as today driving calls for huge concentration and skill.
nutmello is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 10:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Whenever i want to travel to Mysore, i follow these two simple rules

1. Do not leave for Mysore between 6-8AM on Saturday(or begining of long holiday)
2. Do not attempt to leave for Bangalore between 5-8PM on Sunday.

Apart from these two rush hours, travelling would take typical 2-2.5 hrs only.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Whenever i want to travel to Mysore, i follow these two simple rules

1. Do not leave for Mysore between 6-8AM on Saturday(or begining of long holiday)
2. Do not attempt to leave for Bangalore between 5-8PM on Sunday.

Apart from these two rush hours, travelling would take typical 2-2.5 hrs only.
In the past 2 months I have traveled a few times to Mysore and most of teh times I have left on Saturday mornings only after 9 or 10 am. But still, I faced a lot of traffic. Maybe it is even more bad during 6-8 am or I was unlucky. I agree with the 2nd point though.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:16   #74
BHPian

I regularly travel by this road to my native.
Best time to leave BLR is @5.00AM on sat or else post 8.00PM on friday.
And while returning its better to start post 9.00pm from mysore.

This road is a real mess and pretty scary at times for driving.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_bn View Post
I regularly travel by this road to my native.
Best time to leave BLR is @5.00AM on sat or else post 8.00PM on friday.
And while returning its better to start post 9.00pm from mysore.

This road is a real mess and pretty scary at times for driving.
+1 to the above. It indeed was scary with some nitwits driving on the extreme left shoulder of the road ( the mud part) and get in & get off the road as they please. To add to the above, it was raining cats and dogs and visibility was difficult. I was greatly relieved to have reached BLR without a single scratch/altercation/unsavoury incident with fellow road users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks