Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 18:29   #196
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
NH212 is fairly well marked as far as signboards are concerned. (It wasn't so a couple of years ago). Just remember to follow the road that has a median - that is NH212.
Many thanks for that info Kala, very useful and quick reply, May think of taking your number and giving you a call if i get stuck as you seem to have memorized the route really well.

Just a quick question, as far as I know NH212 starts in Kozhikode and ends in Kollegal, NH 209 starts in Bangalore and ends in Dindigal somewhere, what i have heard is that the 209 does not have a median and is an undivided road. Am i right or has that changed as i know there were talks of 4 laning all NH's

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th May 2013 at 08:40. Reason: Correcting 'quote
Old 7th May 2013, 19:52   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NH212 is fairly well marked as far as signboards are concerned. (It wasn't so a couple of years ago). Just remember to follow the road that has a median - that is NH212.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingandy View Post
Many thanks for that info Kala, very useful and quick reply, May think of taking your number and giving you a call if i get stuck as you seem to have memorized the route really well.

Just a quick question, as far as I know NH212 starts in Kozhikode and ends in Kollegal, NH 209 starts in Bangalore and ends in Dindigal somewhere, what i have heard is that the 209 does not have a median and is an undivided road. Am i right or has that changed as i know there were talks of 4 laning all NH's
Sorry that was a slip of the tongue - er - finger. Please read it as NH209.

NH209 does not have medians in most places. But it does when passing through Kanakapura town (and for short stretches at a few more locations).

Will PM you my number - on the condition that you won't get stuck before 8 AM :-)

Last edited by kala : 7th May 2013 at 19:54.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 19:59   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Will PM you my number - on the condition that you won't get stuck before 8 AM :-)
Thanks for the offer, Maybe I should start at 7:59 then eh?....Just kidding..well as per your guidance it seems pretty clear so hopefully I wont get stuck on the way. But do send me your number will be useful...When was the last time you went on this road?
Old 7th May 2013, 20:05   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, Maybe I should start at 7:59 then eh?....Just kidding..well as per your guidance it seems pretty clear so hopefully I wont get stuck on the way. But do send me your number will be useful...When was the last time you went on this road?
The last trip was exactly a week ago on my way from Cochin to Bangalore. I do travel on NH209 quite a lot - typically twice a month on my trips to Wayanad. So even my Ford Figo knows the way by now I think

Edit :

Oops.. Looks like you don't have Private Messages facility yet, so can't send you a PM. Not sure if you're allowed to send PMs - if so, please mail me your email id and I'll send you my number by email. If that's also not possible, you can download my email ID in vCard format from my profile page and send me a mail.

Last edited by kala : 7th May 2013 at 20:15. Reason: Added one paragraph
Old 7th May 2013, 20:09   #200
BHPian

Thanks a million Kala, great to have a friend who is quite familiar with the route and has good experience using this route, Also how safe is this road later in the night...suppose i decide to leave at midnight..safe from the perspective to drive and safe to travel?
Old 8th May 2013, 14:28   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a million Kala, great to have a friend who is quite familiar with the route and has good experience using this route, Also how safe is this road later in the night...suppose i decide to leave at midnight..safe from the perspective to drive and safe to travel?
The road is safe or unsafe as any roads around here, I have not seen any reports in this forum or elsewhere of any incident on that road. However this road is usually deserted by around 10PM itself and most of the traffic will be trucks (who I feel has much better road manners than some car drivers). The safety issue on this road in my opnion will be since it is not a dual carriageway road and hence not my prefered route for travel in early morning ( time where most sleep related accidents occur). Since your destination is Kollegal I dont think you will be required to start around mid night.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 07:00   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven through this route late at night, and haven't faced any issues other than the fact that there's hardly any traffic at that time of the day.

Can't see the reason why you'd want to start at midnight though. The distance between Bangalore and Kollegal is only around 130 or 140 kms approx and it generally shouldn't take you more than 2.5 hours to cover it. So even if you want to reach there at 6:30 / 7AM, you need to start only by 4 AM at the earliest.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 08:29   #203
BHPian

@kala & mpksuhas

Well just to clarify on the midnight part, I was just suggesting leaving later in the night while returning back to avoid hitting the return traffic to bangalore. My original plan was to leave at 4:00 pm while returning as that's the earliest I can leave from kollegal but that will put me into traffic entering bangalore not that I don't like traffic but just don't want to be delayed to much, so was just looking at alternate options of times to leave. Any suggestions?

Once again many thanks for all your help
Old 9th May 2013, 14:59   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Andy, in that case you can think of having a delayed return. Say start around 6PM from Kollegal. The section with more traffic is Kanakpura - Bangalore, however it will be past 8PM you will be reaching there and at that time you wont find much traffic either way.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:56   #205
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

We are new to Bangalore and planning a trip by car to Mysore.

We would be leaving on Saturday morning near Hebbal (ORR).

Could anyone suggest best possible route? I understand that one has to take SH-17. But for reaching SH-17 there is a route sugggested by Google uncle, that takes to a road called "NICE Road (Toll Road)".

Should we take this route to reach SH-17 or cross Bangalore city by some other route (probably ORR ?).

Also suggest route to follow after SH-17 (Bangalore-Mysore highway).
Old 30th May 2013, 12:22   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,

Could anyone suggest best possible route? I understand that one has to take SH-17. But for reaching SH-17 there is a route sugggested by Google uncle, that takes to a road called "NICE Road (Toll Road)".

Should we take this route to reach SH-17 or cross Bangalore city by some other route (probably ORR ?).

NICE road is overkill - especially if you're going to be travelling in non-peak hours (i.e before about 8AM in the morning).

Since you live close to ORR, you can take the ORR itself to get to Mysore road.

Once you reach SH17, there shouldn't be any issues - just keep to the 4 lane road and you should be in Mysore in about 2 to 2.5 hours. Remember to keep your speed under check, there are gigantic speedbreakers all over SH-17, and some of them are unmarked (Or may be marked, but difficult to spot the markings in time).
Old 30th May 2013, 12:39   #207
BHPian

Hi DCEite,

If you are leaving on Sat morning try and leave as early as possible. Latest by 6:30-7:00 AM. We drove to Nagarhole last weekend and made the mistake of leaving post 8:30 from Banaswadi and it took us forever to get there.

Since you stay in Hebbal, I would suggest that you go through the city rather than ORR and then NICE Road. This will a very circuitous route.

Try this route instead:
  1. Hebbal to MG Road via Mekhri Circle
  2. Once on MG Road head towards Anil Kumble Circle (this is past the Metro station near the Reliance Jewelry store)
  3. Head onto Kasturba Road from Anil Kumble Circle (The middle road - reliance jewelry to your left and cubbon park to your right.
  4. Head straight down the road. You will see an intersection with Coffee Day Square in front of you. Continue straight but keep to your right (this is a one way). You will pass Mallya Hospital on your left.
  5. At the end of the road turn right and head straight
  6. Another signal; continue straight - you will see Canara Bank on your right (big building)
  7. At the next signal take a right, go straight and head up the fly-over. You are now on Mysore Road
  8. One straight road from here till you hit Mysore. Indication will be a Columbia Asia hospital on your right

The entire route has sufficient signs so you wont get lost.

Things to keep in mind:
  • Leave early to avoid traffic in the city and on Mysore road
  • The Bangalore-Mysore Road is not your typical highway. You will encounter several speed breakers and barriers on the road
  • Since you will pass through may of the smaller towns do expect traffic there
  • Passing through Mandya will take the most time as it is a larger city

You could return the same way but I would suggest that this time you take the NICE Road and then the outer ring road to get home.

Hope this was helpful. The rest of the thread lists out places of interest and place to eat.

Parik
Old 30th May 2013, 13:57   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,
Quote:
ours (i.e before about 8AM in the morning).

Since you live close to ORR, you can take the ORR itself to get to Mysore road.
I would go with @Kala. Take the ORR all the way to Mysore road.

- But note that ORR now has an underpass at Mysore road junction.
- Also note ORR breaks-up at NH4. The instant you hit NH4, you need to turn away from Bangalore.
- Drive a km or and take left at the next signal to continue on ORR.

Route LInk
Old 30th May 2013, 14:31   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Since you are new to Bangalore, I would advise you not to go through the city. There are lots of one-ways / two-ways which you may not be familiar with.

Also, there is metro construction work happening at several places in the city, and you may not be familiar with the reroutes. Even the GPS device can't help you in such cases and you would keep going round in circles.

Then there is some renovation work happening on the Mysore Road flyover near Kalasipalayam.

Finally, there is a huge traffif jam after this flyover all the way up to ORR junction, even in the mornings.

Start as early as possible. 6:00 would be ideal, worst case 7:00.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 30th May 2013 at 14:34.
Old 30th May 2013, 23:31   #210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As others have mentioned, one simple route option is to keep to ORR all the way till Mysore Road (SH17) near Kengeri.

Another option if you're leaving early is to go via the central part of the city itself (if you know how to get to MG Road from your place near Hebbal). Once you reach Chinnaswamy Stadium (on left) and Cubbon Park (on right) you're at MG Road at the Jewels D' Paragon traffic signal. Turn right here to Kasturba Road, past Mallya hospital, reach Corporation circle. At Town hall junction turn right, go over on the flyover and you're on Mysore Road.

Once on Mysore Road, you just have to follow the directions to Mysore, no confusion and its well marked.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st May 2013 at 09:40.

Most Viewed