Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 21:04   #226
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
But the Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura route is about 15 kms or so longer than SH17 if my memory serves me right, so may not save you too much in terms of time.
Thanks @kala.
It's good to have this alternative for Bangalore-Mysore since SH17 on weekends usually has bumper to bumper traffic and several unmarked speed breakers. If travelling during peak hours, getting out of Bangalore city and onto Mysore Road can also be time consuming so depending on the time of day also, one can take the alternate route.
Old 24th June 2013, 01:13   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's good to have this alternative for Bangalore-Mysore since SH17 on weekends usually has bumper to bumper traffic and several unmarked speed breakers. If travelling during peak hours, getting out of Bangalore city and onto Mysore Road can also be time consuming so depending on the time of day also, one can take the alternate route.
Did the Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore stretch this afternoon. Apart from about 1 km of unpaved road about 2 km before Bannur, rough roads inside Bannur town and the unmarked and unscientific speedbreakers off and on, the Mysore-Malavalli road is quite decent.

So it's indeed an OK alternative to take during the high traffic periods on SH17 such as Sunday evenings.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 23:17   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post

Hi Alok,

Any landmark for the turn out at Bellur Cross towards Nagamangala ?

Thnx
The turn is just after you pay the toll on NH48. AFAIK its the second toll.

Thavarekere, Karnataka
http://goo.gl/maps/8ezjN
Old 27th June 2013, 10:17   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
The turn is just after you pay the toll on NH48. AFAIK its the second toll.

Thavarekere, Karnataka
http://goo.gl/maps/8ezjN
Your are right Alok. Once you turn left from NH4 onto NH48 towards Hassan/Mangalore, you will pay toll at 2 locations. The left turn for Nagamangala which one must take is located less than a kilometer after the second toll on NH48 at Bellur cross.

The most easy way to remember this:
After you pay the second toll, you will arrive at a cross road intersecting NH48 with open median and warning signs (and IIRC, a Flashing orange lamp post too). Exactly here there is a well marked signage in Green for Nagamangala where your turn left.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th June 2013 at 10:19.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 11:55   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

I know SH-17 traffic is pretty bad on Saturday mornings and it's awful returning from Mysore-Bangalore on Sunday afternoons/evenings, but how's the traffic condition on SH-17 on Friday evenings these days, going from Bangalore to Mysore?
Old 1st July 2013, 22:23   #231
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I know SH-17 traffic is pretty bad on Saturday mornings and it's awful returning from Mysore-Bangalore on Sunday afternoons/evenings, but how's the traffic condition on SH-17 on Friday evenings these days, going from Bangalore to Mysore?
I think it's fair to expect Friday evenings to be traffic prone as well on SH17.
If you have to take SH17, why not start early morning by 5am on Saturday ?
Alternatively you can take Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore, much more peaceful route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 17:45   #232
Senior - BHPian

How is the condition of the stretch Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore? I am planning to take this route to reach Mysore.
Old 2nd July 2013, 17:54   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
How is the condition of the stretch Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore? I am planning to take this route to reach Mysore.
Please see my message posted in this same thread last week. Don't think conditions would have changed drastically in the last 10 days.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:59   #234
Senior - BHPian

Total 86 speedbreakers on the 140 km long Bangalore-Mysore Highway, as counted by a team of reporters from Bangalore Mirror

Quote:
A BM team counted 86 speed breakers on the 140-km route — all built in violation to highway norms. As many as 38 humps dot the 50-km stretch from Maddur to Srirangapatna that is lined with eateries, cafes and other outlets.
Not only are the humps unscientifically designed and hazardous to motorists, they also seem to have sprung up in direct proportion to the growing number of food outlets along the way.
The complete report here:
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index...552496e5f79e18
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 08:40   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back from Coorg yesterday. I didn't count the speed breakers, but personally, didn't think there were an excessive number, quite surprised with the number I read.

While I agree that there should be better ways to regulate pedestrian and vehicle safety like town bypasses, overhead walkways, and better driver/pedestrian education, I see that the speed breakers do help reduce the insane speeds that people do on this road (myself included).

About traffic conditions, left on Saturday morning at 5:30 AM. Traffic was light, but still present, considering the time. Didn't want to join the Sunday night mess, so left from Coorg at 10 AM on Monday morning. Again, light but still present traffic. Is that Kamat's ever empty?! Went there for lunch, expecting that it would be empty being a Monday afternoon, but it was completely full! Not weekend-type full, but there were still people waiting for a place.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:39   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

^ I guess you are saying about the Kamat near Ramanagar, even I too have not seen that place empty.
Also few days back there was news in paper about proposal to widen Bangalore - Mysore road to six lane and toll the route.
Old 9th July 2013, 22:08   #237
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Also few days back there was news in paper about proposal to widen Bangalore - Mysore road to six lane and toll the route.
I read in today's newspaper that the Mandya MLA (also Minister for Housing) is proposing flyovers for Mandya instead of widening to 6 lanes so that there is no need to acquire agricultural wet lands around Mandya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Got back from Coorg yesterday. I didn't count the speed breakers, but personally, didn't think there were an excessive number, quite surprised with the number I read.
I hope that number is incorrect, 86 is just too many speedbreakers for a stretch which is under 150Km! Also, these media reports have the tendency to grossly exaggerate sometimes
Old 10th July 2013, 10:16   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mandya MLA (also Minister for Housing) is proposing flyovers for Mandya instead of widening to 6 lanes so that there is no need to acquire agricultural wet lands around Mandya.
Mandya is a politically important region, especially the sugar cane belt. So it is understandable that MLA is bit reluctant to acquire agricultural land for road. However I am not sure how flyover will help solve the issue since the agricultural land is before and after Mandya town.

Quote:
I hope that number is incorrect, 86 is just too many speedbreakers for a stretch which is under 150Km! Also, these media reports have the tendency to grossly exaggerate sometimes
The road between Maddur and Srirangapattanam has the maximum density of speed breakers I guess. I guess 86 is a lesser count than what is there actually.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 10th July 2013 at 10:17.
Old 10th July 2013, 12:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing that can be done with SH-17 given the type of habitation it passes through. It is high time that we get an expressway b/w Bangalore and Mysore. Any idea on what's happening to Mr. Kheny's dream project?
Old 10th July 2013, 15:15   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I don't think it is ever going to happen, atleast not in next 6-7 years. Meanwhile there is another proposal to widen NH 209 till Kanakpura and then till Mallavalli and then extend it to Mysore. Though in this article minister claims that six lanning is approved and work has started near Kanakpura I have not seen any construction while travelling on that road. Kanakupra road six lane

Most Viewed