Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 15:23   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I have garnered that it is better to start really early (before 4am) or really late (Post 10pm) from Bangalore to avoid traffic. Which option is better? Considering I will be travelling with a 2yr kid and my wife. Planning a trip during the June 6th weekend. I have no problems with night driving as well
Early morning start from Bangalore is ideal for a stress free drive from Bangalore - Mysore. However to achieve that you will have to do an overnight drive from Hyderabad. This may help you in saving time, however I feel it may be stressful.

My option would be to start early morning from Hyderabad (~ 3 AM), this way you can reach Bangalore around 10 AM with break and then proceed towards Mysore. It may take around 3 hours from Bangalore - Mysore at that time.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 15:40   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys...considering I am a single driver, what is the best time I start from Hyderabad in order to have minimum traffic between Bang to Mysore. Also what is the fatigue factor one has to consider considering the distance is around 730kms one way as per Google maps. From this thread, I have garnered that it is better to start really early (before 4am) or really late (Post 10pm) from Bangalore to avoid traffic. Which option is better? Considering I will be travelling with a 2yr kid and my wife. Planning a trip during the June 6th weekend. I have no problems with night driving as well
Please ensure that you leave before 5am from Bangalore towards Mysore if it is on a weekend, else the traffic piles up and it can get very tiring to drive with constant traffic.
Try to maintain 80Kmph on this stretch as it does not matter what speed you do, you will eventually have to brake for the innumerable speed breakers.

I travel almost every weekend to Mysore, I leave early at 4AM from Bangalore and will reach my home in Mysore at 6:45AM maintaining a steady 80Kmph. It's the same time on the return journey as well. Leave at 4AM on Monday morning, reach Bangalore at 6:45AM, take a nap for an hour before leaving for work.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:04   #303
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Please find the update on Bannur route to Mysore from Sunniboi here . I am planning of taking that route during 3rd weekend of May.
Suhas, I travelled recently on Bannur-Mysore stretch and s in good condition. Entry was from Siddartha layout (Lalith Mahal palace) side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best options to avoid this mayhem:

If one is heading to North Bangalore : Mysore-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Neligere-Kunigal-Nelamabgala-Banaglore

If south Bangalore bound, then I think the best option is : Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore.

Mysore-Malavalli is something which we need to know more about in terms of road condition. Its never been great. And of course its a well known fact that 209 has no great places to break for food.
I plan to check out the Vidyaranyapura - Nelmangala - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore road next time. Are BHPians regularly using this route?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th May 2014 at 11:16. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
mvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:50   #304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
I plan to check out the Vidyaranyapura - Nelmangala - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore road next time. Are BHPians regularly using this route?
- Its one of the best roads.
- There are humps around villages, but still OK. I would take this any day compared to Mysore road. (BTW even the Neligere-Srirangapatna is also going to become a NH)
- Exit Point from the 4-Lane: Neligere; Immediately after Belur Cross Toll Booth.
- If you plan to have a break, then get one around Kunigal. Once you come out, then you have nothing till Mysore.
- Right at the toll booth but on the opposite side, you have hotel Malgudi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:56   #305
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions. One more question from my side. Since I am driving to Mysore directly from Hyderabad, which route should I use to bypass Bangalore. Google maps suggested I take the ORR from Hebbal, take right at Yeshwantpur and take left on the Tumkur road to join the NICE road which directly joins the Mysore road. Is this the best route. Since I may be doing this route during the early morning (4am types), what will be th traffic situation. What about the infamous speed bumps?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:08   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys for your suggestions. One more question from my side. Since I am driving to Mysore directly from Hyderabad, which route should I use to bypass Bangalore. Google maps suggested I take the ORR from Hebbal, take right at Yeshwantpur and take left on the Tumkur road to join the NICE road which directly joins the Mysore road. Is this the best route. Since I may be doing this route during the early morning (4am types), what will be th traffic situation. What about the infamous speed bumps?

Thanks in advance.
As I said in the earlier post, the best option to Mysore, when you starting point is North Bangalore (which is true for your case too) is :

Hyderabad-Devanahalli-Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet-Neligere-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore. Bypasses Bangalore and also Mysore road too!

Route Link

See this post :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3421691

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2014 at 12:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:56   #307
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Traveled to Ooty last Sunday. Due to the early start, decided to take Mysore Road instead of NH 209 via Kanakapura, was wary of reaching Nijaguna residency too early for breakfast and after all Mysore Road offers so many options for breakfast, right ?

Started from home at 4:45am and reached Maddur at 6:10am to find Adigas (our usual breakfast stop) and Thimmadas not yet open (opposite Adigas, wanted to try this one)
The Right-O food court near Srirangapatna was just open but we weren't in a mood for food court stuff (had recently tried Shivalli at the other Bestin food court and it was a big disappointment not to mention sky high prices).

Drove into Mysore city and stopped at Kamat Madhuvan near the Palace at 7:15am. Only one other table was occupied and we got piping hot, fresh stuff, sumptuous breakfast
Old 12th May 2014, 08:14   #308
Senior - BHPian

Will land mafia stall six-laning of B’lore-Mysore Rd?

Quote:
Like Mumbai-Pune and Ahmedabad-Vadodara, the Bangalore-Mysore Road (earlier State Highway 17, now part of National Highway 275) is equally congested as thousands travel between these two cities every day. Even then, both Mumbai-Pune and Ahmedabad-Vadodara roads boast of expressways, which is lacking in the case of the Bangalore-Mysore Road.

With the Bangalore Mysore Infrastructure Corridor (BMIC) project yet to take off, the existing four-lane road is grossly insufficient. Since the state government has plans to widen it into a six-lane one with flyovers and bypasses to every town en route, it's feared that the real estate mafia may throw a spanner in the works. The six-laning is proposed to start from Jnanabharati Gate (Bangalore University) till Mysore and is expected to significantly reduce the travel time between the two cities.

The state Public Works Department (PWD) — which has estimated an acquisition of 533 acres to complete the project — fears that the mafia may block the acquisition process. As the road passes through the towns of Kengeri, Bidadi, Ramanagar, Channapatna, Maddur, Mandya and Srirangapatna before touching the heritage city, the required land may turn out to be a mirage. An official said, "If you travel on the stretch, you can see how big buildings and business establishments are coming up on either side of the road. These buildings are owned by high-profile politicians, businessmen, and realtors who may pressurise the government to halt the project, if not delay it. The market value to acquire these lands is being worked out at Rs 2 crore per acre at an estimated Rs 1,066 crore, while the entire project cost is pegged at Rs 1,881 crore if the project kicks off in time."

CENTRE MAY BE ROPED IN

The officials point out that the land acquisition had also hit the track doubling work between Bangalore and Mysore. A source said that with the Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Bantwal (Dakshina Kannada district) Road now being officially declared as NH 275, the project may be handled by the Centre as land acquisition may be easy.

PWD minister HC Mahadevappa may visit New Delhi to further press for the project. An NHAI official said, "The concessionaires were not coming forward to take up the project due to toll-related issues. We had planned to four-lane the Bangalore-Kanakapura Road (NH 209). Despite us calling for tenders thrice, no concessionaire came forward. If the Mysore Road too sees a repeat in the wake of the KIA Road toll hike controversy, NHAI may be forced to go for the EPC (engineering procurement construction) model, where the government will fund the project and collect the toll."

ANOTHER ROUTE
Bangaloreans can also take the Kanakapura Road (NH 209) to Malavalli, and then to Mysore. Though the twolane road between Bangalore and Malavalli is in a fairly good condition, the road thereafter to Mysore is in a sorry state, forcing motorists to prefer NH 275, thus increasing the congestion.
source: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/34984073.cms
Old 12th May 2014, 08:24   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Only 533 acres ??
Even the extra lanes will take far more than that.
Old 12th May 2014, 08:51   #310
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The unholy Trinity of Maddur/Mandya will completely put a stop to this proposed 6 lane highway.

I cannot really understand that because if the evil trinity actually own/ control all that land there, then would they not stand to gain untold millions on account of the road project?

Truly, this country is living in a nightmare, from which it may never awake, on account of these political, real-estate devils.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:16   #311
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Mysore this time on a different route. Sick of the usual Mysore-Bangalore highway. I plan to take Vidyaranyapura - Nelmangala - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore road next time. Are BHPians regularly using this route? Also, when i join Tumkur road in Yeshwantpur, do i need to take the flyover or not?
Old 30th May 2014, 09:21   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am planning to drive to Mysore this time on a different route. Sick of the usual Mysore-Bangalore highway. I plan to take Vidyaranyapura - Nelmangala - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore road next time.
Roads are decent but watch out for speed humps, once when entering, once in the middle and once while exiting every village.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:37   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am planning to drive to Mysore this time on a different route. Sick of the usual Mysore-Bangalore highway. I plan to take Vidyaranyapura - Nelmangala - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore road next time. Are BHPians regularly using this route? Also, when i join Tumkur road in Yeshwantpur, do i need to take the flyover or not?
- Its actually a brilliant option for people living in North Bangalore.
- 4-lane till Neligere
- Brilliant 2-lane roads via Nagamangala/Pandavpura/Srinrangapatna. There are humps in villages, but still over all a much better option.

On taking the flyover at Tumkur road
- Take the elevated road
- But look for the Mangalore road exit sign.
- The exit is narrow and you can miss it.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 10:17   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Its actually a brilliant option for people living in North Bangalore.
Agree with you as I stay in Vidyaranyapura and I don't recollect taking the usual SH17 for Mysore over my last 4-5 drives.

This is indeed a brilliant and a much peaceful option to reach Mysore.

As you say, the roads even after the turn off at NH48 at Nelligere are excellent all the way till you intersect on the regular Bangalore-Mysore road. Its just crossing Pandavapura that may consume time but remain incomparable to crossing Ramnagara or Mandya towns. The Humps - Well, they really become something to ignore due to the emptiness and the good roads.

This option should be the ideal route choice for anyone wanting to drive to Mysore on a Weekend (Or probably on a weekday as well) from North Bangalore areas.
Old 30th May 2014, 10:30   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This option should be the ideal route choice for anyone wanting to drive to Mysore on a Weekend (Or probably on a weekday as well) from North Bangalore areas.
I actually found it quite accidently! On a weekend, we were driving to Shravanabelagola and Melkote from North Bangalore. We first drove to Shrvanabelagola. Then instead of taking the road directly to Melkote, I accidently diverted to Nagamangala due to (As @guyfrmblr puts it) the beautiful SH85! And then from Nagamangala drove to Melkote. Thats when I realised the beauty of this road. And when I had to drive back all the way to North Bangalore, I retraced my way back via Neligere. It was stress free drive all the way back.

On another note, this stretch is also going to become a National Highway. (To be called NH50) : Jewargi-Siruguppa-Bellary-Hiriyur-Chikkanayakanahalli-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore- Nanjangud

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3428746

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2014 at 10:39.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks