Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2014, 11:14   #316
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Thanks Ampere, Sonnyboy, paragsachania. I will definitely try this now. I stay in Malleswaram and it take nearly an hour to reach the city outskirts and then depending on the traffic, about 2 hours to reach Mysore. This is even when i start late night, at around 9-9:30ish.
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:32   #317
Senior - BHPian

Colleague drove to Calicut and back over the weekend. The much talked about bridge on Kanakapura road that no longer permits heavy vehicles has a interesting sign board when you drive towards Gundulpet. I think its just after Kollegal.

Sign board, on the left, just before the bridge reads; "Old, damaged, weak, narrow bridge ahead. Go Slow."
Old 4th June 2014, 19:17   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Its actually a brilliant option for people living in North Bangalore.
- 4-lane till Neligere
- Brilliant 2-lane roads via Nagamangala/Pandavpura/Srinrangapatna. There are humps in villages, but still over all a much better option.

Wow Ampere thanks a ton for this, had never come across this route, will surely try this out. Anything to avoid 120 humps. Do you think the commute time will be the same or faster than the Mysore road.
Old 4th June 2014, 20:26   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Do you think the commute time will be the same or faster than the Mysore road.
Would certainly depend on which part of Bangalore you are located. From my past experiences, the commute time remains the same when you compare that to travelling on the usual SH-17 during non peak hours/weekends.

However, if its a weekend and a Saturday Morning/Sunday evening, the time spent on road is definitely lesser.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 00:02   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Wow Ampere thanks a ton for this, had never come across this route, will surely try this out. Anything to avoid 120 humps. Do you think the commute time will be the same or faster than the Mysore road.
Are Parag said, if you are in north Bangalore, you can make it to Mysore quite fast. The 4-lane till Neligere is super fast. And then its nice 2-lane roads till Srirangapatna. On these roads you can easily maintain 80-90. Note there are humps on this road. But surely not like the ones on Mysore road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:11   #321
BHPian

Quote:
As I said in the earlier post, the best option to Mysore, when you starting point is North Bangalore (which is true for your case too) is :

Hyderabad-Devanahalli-Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet-Neligere-Nagamangala-Srirangapatna-Mysore. Bypasses Bangalore and also Mysore road too!

Route Link

See this post :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3421691
Sorry for a late reply. But the google maps link you posted shows route through Dodballapur, dabaspet and some place called Gudemaranaranahalli which eventually leads to Ramanagara. But your post says Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet-Neligere-Nagamangala. I am confused if the route you are referring and the link you posted are correct.

Also, which is the best route to touch the Mangalore highway coming from Hyderabad? Is it through Dabaspet, Sivaganga - Gudemaranaranahalli (on the mangalore highway). I also see a direct road from dodballapur to Mangalore highway (Visweswarapura).
Old 5th June 2014, 12:14   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Sorry for a late reply. But the google maps link you posted shows route through Dodballapur, dabaspet and some place called Gudemaranaranahalli which eventually leads to Ramanagara. But your post says Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet-Neligere-Nagamangala. I am confused if the route you are referring and the link you posted are correct.

Also, which is the best route to touch the Mangalore highway coming from Hyderabad? Is it through Dabaspet, Sivaganga - Gudemaranaranahalli (on the mangalore highway). I also see a direct road from dodballapur to Mangalore highway (Visweswarapura).
Sorry for that slip. Here is the correct link:

Route Link

Point E on this link is where you touch NH48. (Bangalore-Mangalore road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I also see a direct road from dodballapur to Mangalore highway (Visweswarapura).
That SH is quite rough and also need to go via Nelamangala town. As against NH207 is super smooth all the way up to Dobbaspet. Some rough sections from Dobbaspet to NH48 entry. But still better than the SH to Nelamanagala.

See this post by @vartakavi

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3421691

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2014 at 12:22.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 10:00   #323
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
- Its one of the best roads.
Quote:
- There are humps around villages, but still OK. I would take this any day compared to Mysore road. (BTW even the Neligere-Srirangapatna is also going to become a NH)
- Exit Point from the 4-Lane: Neligere; Immediately after Belur Cross Toll Booth.
- If you plan to have a break, then get one around Kunigal. Once you come out, then you have nothing till Mysore.
- Right at the toll booth but on the opposite side, you have hotel Malgudi.
Thanks, Ampere & Parag for the alternate route suggested between North Bangalore and Mysore. I travelled on this route recently on both directions - Vidyaranyapura, Blr - Nelmangala - Belur Cross - Nagamangala - Melkote - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore

- 25 Kms longer but can be 20 minutes faster compared with the regulation road.
- Budget one hour upto Belur cross on NH and two hours on the scenic SH, plus time required for breaks
- Be aware of two wheeler traffic on the SH
- Excellent option during peak traffic, week ends and very useful during long weekends. Bye bye to traffic snarls at Mandya, Channapatna
- Relaxed and comfortable drive
- Food options limited but manageable (Also, could not bring along Maddhur Wade for my daughter)
- It took me 15 minutes more on a Sunday compared to Saturday
- Noticed many vehicles taking this route to Mysore
- Quite a few speed breakers while passing through villages but manageable
mvp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 20:11   #324
BHPian

Posting this here even though my travel was on a weekday.

I did a one day trip yesterday, Bangalore - Mysore in the morning and back in the afternoon.

I took the highway in the morning, left at 5:40 am, and reached my destination in 2:22 hours:mins from the Meenakshi temple area even though I drove sedately.

The speed breaker issue is only marginally better, IMO. As soon as you enter Mandya (the welcome arch) you see signs every 15 feet saying speed is 30 kmph. According to my brother, they are strictly enforced by multiple interceptor throughout the city, and he had warned me to be careful. I did see several, but they were not active that early in the morning. I didn't take chances, and slowed down.

I wanted to try the Bannur - Malavalli - Kakakapura route on the way back. That was a big mistake!

The road throughout is a 1+1 undivided road with tons of 2-wheeler traffic + buses + lorries and the ox-cart every now and then. The narrow road makes it difficult to overtake even a 2-wheeler if another is coming in the opposite direction.

Worse, the tarmac is bad from Mysore till immediately after Malavalli. Inside Bannur, it is in a shambles.

I'll not be using this route ever again; the hassle from 2-wheelers alone is enough to avoid it. I did see one with damage lying in the middle of the road along with a slipper and a few other things, with a huge crowd off to one side. Don't know what happened, but not worth the risk of tangling with them on that route.

And I did not find much evidence of the famed scenery either :(
Old 12th June 2014, 21:17   #325
BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Mysore-Bangalore trip last Sunday (7-June-14). I am not very comfortable with the Kanakapura route, (especially the two wheeler menace on an undivided road) so it was namma good old Mysore Road (SH 17). Left home (Basavanagudi) at around 7:15 AM and reached Mysore (Thyagaraja Road) at around 10:45 AM with a 40 minute breakfast break at Right-O (after Mandya). I was expecting very heavy traffic in Channapatna and Mandya. Channapatna had moderate traffic (manageable), but Mandya was a breeze. Was pleasantly surprised to see the sparse traffic at Mandya on a Sunday morning (9 to 9:15 AM).
Returned by the same route. Started from Mysore at around 2:45 PM and reached home at around 6 PM with about half an hour coffee break.
Overall was good experience with respect to traffic.

Regards,

Samish
Old 12th June 2014, 22:06   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Worse, the tarmac is bad from Mysore till immediately after Malavalli. Inside Bannur, it is in a shambles.
I disagree on the bad tarmac from Mysore to Malavalli. Road in bannur is bad and the bridge over Kaveri hasn't been surfaced. Except these 2 spots, roads are fantastic; they have relaid many sections of the road. I reached Malavalli from Mysore in 40 minutes with one stop. Was doing 80-90 on the stretch without effort.

I did reach NICE Road exit in 2 hours from Mysore with 2 stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
And I did not find much evidence of the famed scenery either :(
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_4171.jpg
Old 12th June 2014, 22:18   #327
BHPian

The surface is great from Malavalli to Bangalore, but I still stand by what I experienced till Malavalli. Let us agree to disagree.

For the other reasons I mentioned, I will not be taking this road again. YMMV.
Old 19th June 2014, 15:07   #328
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Mysore on Friday (tomorrow). Planning to start off at around 3 PM from Bangalore. What are the odds of reaching Mysore by 6 PM ? considering that Its a Friday. And would I be able to make it through Wayanad Forest to Kalpetta (before 9PM forest road closure) if I am continuing on the same route?
Old 19th June 2014, 15:36   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
Planning to start off at around 3 PM from Bangalore. What are the odds of reaching Mysore by 6 PM ? considering that Its a Friday. And would I be able to make it through Wayanad Forest to Kalpetta (before 9PM forest road closure) if I am continuing on the same route?
It mainly depends on what time you reach the Mysore road, for example Kengeri or Nayandahalli or the NICE road junction. Your calculation would be easier if you calculate the journey time from there.

Reason:
If I were to start from ITPL at 3pm, I would reach Kengeri by 4:30. Then, I would need a minimum of 2hours 30 minutes (I think) to reach near Mysore.

I was caught twice for crossing the speed limit on Mysore road; once near Kengeri (>60kmph) and once in Mandya. So, I think you may have to consider that too .
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 15:58   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Mysore on Friday (tomorrow). Planning to start off at around 3 PM from Bangalore. What are the odds of reaching Mysore by 6 PM ? considering that Its a Friday. And would I be able to make it through Wayanad Forest to Kalpetta (before 9PM forest road closure) if I am continuing on the same route?
If you start from Kengeri ,non stop Mysore (Columbia Asia) possible by 2 hours and 30 minutes. I had done it last week within 2 hours. Careful at Mandya and Ramnagara towns. If you take Kanakpura road you can cross the Wayanad forest before 6 PM (its not 9 PM). Here again non stop driving!

So it all depends upon the time you start.If it is a leisurely drive ,I suggest to start earlier .
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks