Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 18:21   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Mysore on Friday (tomorrow). Planning to start off at around 3 PM from Bangalore. What are the odds of reaching Mysore by 6 PM ? considering that Its a Friday. And would I be able to make it through Wayanad Forest to Kalpetta (before 9PM forest road closure) if I am continuing on the same route?
Why don't you try the Kanakapura route? Less stress and traffic. I did Bangalore East to Gundlepet in 3.5 hours although this was leaving at 630am. You may take 4 hours. Reaching the forest checkpost by leaving at 3 pm is not a problem. The problem being the traffic on Bangalore- Mysore on a Fri afternoon/evening.
Old 19th June 2014, 22:44   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Mysore on Friday (tomorrow). Planning to start off at around 3 PM from Bangalore. What are the odds of reaching Mysore by 6 PM ? considering that Its a Friday. And would I be able to make it through Wayanad Forest to Kalpetta (before 9PM forest road closure) if I am continuing on the same route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Why don't you try the Kanakapura route? Less stress and traffic. I did Bangalore East to Gundlepet in 3.5 hours although this was leaving at 630am. You may take 4 hours. Reaching the forest checkpost by leaving at 3 pm is not a problem. The problem being the traffic on Bangalore- Mysore on a Fri afternoon/evening.
I agree with @Tharian. The driving times are far more predictable if you take NH209. From NICE Road-Kanakapura Road junction to the forest check post shouldn't take you more than 4 hours even with leisurely driving, so even if you manage to reach Kanakapura Road by 4:30 PM to 5PM, you should be able to beat the 9PM deadline very comfortably.

So if you have no specific need to touch Mysore, Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet would be the better option.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:43   #333

We drove back from Masinagudi to Bangalore yesterday. To get to Bangalore you had to go through the entire Mysore road hell. We wanted to avoid that so we took the Najangud-Narasipura-Malavalli-Kanakpura road. I must say we didnt regret it one bit. We took the NICE road upon entering Bangalore. There were no crazy drivers zooming past us from every direction. The roads are a bit narrow yes, but the quality is good. There is a small patch between Narasipura and Malavalli which is still under construction so its not tarred, but is still smooth. There are a lot of curves on this road so you cannot really speed up but it beats trying to zoom through crazy traffic any day. The route is definitely very scenic and we didnt feel as if we are just driving from one town to another. This is gong to be our patent route from now on
Old 7th July 2014, 16:52   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuchi05 View Post
We drove back from Masinagudi to Bangalore yesterday. To get to Bangalore you had to go through the entire Mysore road hell. We wanted to avoid that so we took the Najangud-Narasipura-Malavalli-Kanakpura road. I must say we didnt regret it one bit. We took the NICE road upon entering Bangalore. There were no crazy drivers zooming past us from every direction. The roads are a bit narrow yes, but the quality is good. There is a small patch between Narasipura and Malavalli which is still under construction so its not tarred, but is still smooth. There are a lot of curves on this road so you cannot really speed up but it beats trying to zoom through crazy traffic any day. The route is definitely very scenic and we didnt feel as if we are just driving from one town to another. This is gong to be our patent route from now on
How many kms is it from Mysore to Bangalore via this route?
Old 7th July 2014, 17:42   #335
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
If your destination is Mysore you can do Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore. Distance is almost same as the via Mysore Road, give or take 10 Km
If you're headed towards Gundlupet for Ooty or Sulthan Bathery and want to bypass Mysore you can do Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet, goodbye Mysore Road woes!

Last edited by NPV : 7th July 2014 at 17:44.
Old 7th July 2014, 19:56   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If your destination is Mysore you can do Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore. Distance is almost same as the via Mysore Road, give or take 10 Km
Route is longer by 10-15KMs but takes less time! I travelled on this route today morning and took me 1hr 40 mins from Mysore home till AOL. Next 15KMs took an hour though :( but this stretch is common between the SH17 or Kanakpura-Malavalli route though.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 23:10   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuchi05 View Post
Next time try the Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar-NH209 route. I've tried the Nanjangud- T.Narsipura route also, but feel that the route via Chamarajnagar is much better in terms of road quality.

When coming from Bandipur, take the first right turn as you're entering Gundlupet to go to Chamarajnagar (Just after you pass the left turn to Calicut and the RTO checkpost ).
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:34   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're headed towards Gundlupet for Ooty or Sulthan Bathery and want to bypass Mysore you can do Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet, goodbye Mysore Road woes!
Can you please elaborate the route I need to take if I am going to Madikeri, Coorg. Normally I bypass the Mysore city, by taking the ring road and directly connect to the Hunsur road.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:39   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please elaborate the route I need to take if I am going to Madikeri, Coorg. Normally I bypass the Mysore city, by taking the ring road and directly connect to the Hunsur road.
The Mysore Ring road actually starts from Bannur road - so when going from Bannur towards Mysore you'll find this road as a Right turn about 5 kms before you reach Mysore city. (about half a km after you pass Vidya Vikas Engg. college campus on your left - it's the next big road towards the right. Unlikely to miss it since it is a divided road and very wide). Turn right at that point and go straight. In about 7-8 kms (This is probably the best stretch of the entire ring road) you'll cross SH17 at the Columbia Asia Hospital junction, and from there it's the same road whether you come on SH17 or Bannur Road.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 18:21   #340
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@kala has already answered your question
Here is a map link
Zoom in to the map for the turns mentioned in @kala's post.

Last edited by NPV : 8th July 2014 at 18:22.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 23:57   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

I was surprised that it took only 2 hours for me to reach NICE Road from Mysore today. Since it was a Sunday evening drive I thought it would take at least 3hrs. But it was very peaceful drive except for the speed breakers. Started from mysore @ 8:15 PM and reached NICE Road @ 10:10 PM. Speed maintained was 60-80. Is this because of removing some speed breakers?
Old 28th July 2014, 07:11   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I was surprised that it took only 2 hours for me to reach NICE Road from Mysore today. Since it was a Sunday evening drive I thought it would take at least 3hrs. But it was very peaceful drive except for the speed breakers. Started from mysore @ 8:15 PM and reached NICE Road @ 10:10 PM. Speed maintained was 60-80. Is this because of removing some speed breakers?
Not really man, its coz of the time you decided to leave Mysore. Usually after 7:00pm the traffic towards Bangalore is pretty low. Try leaving around 4pm and you will know that the title of this thread is true in every way .

I usually leave Mysore only after 8pm on Sunday's simply to save the headache of dealing with the insane traffic.
Old 28th July 2014, 07:45   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Partly because of a possible longer weekend this time ? Tomorrow should be a holiday here
Old 28th July 2014, 08:08   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Not really man, its coz of the time you decided to leave Mysore. Usually after 7:00pm the traffic towards Bangalore is pretty low. Try leaving around 4pm and you will know that the title of this thread is true in every way .

I usually leave Mysore only after 8pm on Sunday's simply to save the headache of dealing with the insane traffic.
Not only the insane traffic. I came across many cars who were driving as if they were robbing some bank and running away from Police.

Many of the vehicles will be at 100+ where the ideal speed on the road should be 60.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:51   #345
BHPian

Need an urgent input. Planning a family trip to Nanjanagud tomorrow, through Kanakapura road. I will be taking this road for the first time. Please let me know few details in terms of waypoints and diversions, which towns to pass through and which ones not to. Also, let me know if any interesting tourist spots on the way. Thanks much in advance. I will plan my trip based on your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks