Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 12:23   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Need an urgent input. Planning a family trip to Nanjanagud tomorrow, through Kanakapura road. I will be taking this road for the first time. Please let me know few details in terms of waypoints and diversions, which towns to pass through and which ones not to. Also, let me know if any interesting tourist spots on the way. Thanks much in advance. I will plan my trip based on your inputs.
I would suggest going via Malavalli-Kollegal-Talacaud-T.Narsipur-Nanjangud

3hrs to Nanjagud from NICE road should be a good time to cover the distance.

https://goo.gl/maps/lQU7H

You have the Gunja Narasimha Temple at T.Narsipur,then theres Agastyeshwara Temple at Thirumakoodlu and Sheshachandrika Mutt across the Kapila river

Tbhpian mpksuhas mentioned of a new restaurant called Kitchen at Kanakapura. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...a-suh_3825.jpg

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 1st August 2014 at 12:26.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:44   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would suggest going via Malavalli-Kollegal-Talacaud-T.Narsipur-Nanjangud

You have the Gunja Narasimha Temple at T.Narsipur,then theres Agastyeshwara Temple at Thirumakoodlu and Sheshachandrika Mutt across the Kapila river
Ranjit, thanks for your real-time response. That was perfect, esp the temple information.

I take that route conditions are ok, and manageable. Any red flags anywhere?

Also, any good places to eat in Mysore? (Vegetarian).

Last edited by bsdbsd : 1st August 2014 at 12:54.
Old 1st August 2014, 13:20   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit, thanks for your real-time response. That was perfect, esp the temple information.

I take that route conditions are ok, and manageable. Any red flags anywhere?

Also, any good places to eat in Mysore? (Vegetarian).
Roads are all good

Mysore is a tourist town,plenty of places to eat,if you want to try something exclusive to Mysore,then do check up on the Mylari Dosa at Mylari hotel in Nazarabad just off the Nazarabad main road.Ask anybody the way to Mylari in Mysore and they would direct you,its right next to the palace.You would find two Mylaris on the same road,one which says Original Mylari and another which says only Mylari (we have no branches board on both),I prefer the smaller of the two with a small grilled window at the front.Dont be deterred by the crowd if you see one,the wait is worth it.Both taste more or less the same and The place has been in existence for close to 30-40years and a visit to Mysore is incomplete without eating there.Place is open from 7-11 and 4pm-830pm / closed on wednesdays.It is near the Nazarabad Police station.The dosas are melt in the mouth types

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...psy-dosas.html

Then there is the usual Kamats (Kamat Maduvan),or else just drive back onto the Bangalore road and you would be spoilt for choice-its one big 100km food court!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 13:45   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need an urgent input. Planning a family trip to Nanjanagud tomorrow, through Kanakapura road. I will be taking this road for the first time. Please let me know few details in terms of waypoints and diversions, which towns to pass through and which ones not to. Also, let me know if any interesting tourist spots on the way. Thanks much in advance. I will plan my trip based on your inputs.
Most of your questions are already answered. Please go to Shivasamudra falls if you have time. They are short deviations from the main road and with Cauvery in spate a site to behold. There are two separate falls you can view a few kms apart, Gaganachukki and Bharachukki. They are approximately 140 kms from Bangalore.

Fair warning: the rive looks beautiful in full flow and is at certain spots esily accessible from the road. But please beware and stay away from taking a dip!
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 14:01   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need an urgent input. Planning a family trip to Nanjanagud tomorrow, through Kanakapura road.
You can take this route.

Roads till T.Narasipura is good, I am not sure current condition of T Narasipura - Nanjanguad stretch. It used to be bad few years back.

On way you can visit Shivanasamudra waterfalls.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:28   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
You can take this route.
Ranjit and Suhas, Thanks to both of you for the maps. I am all set now. I have pre-programmed the maps on my GPS as well.

This community is absolutely wonderful.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:54   #352
BHPian

Ranjit, and everyone else, I completed my trip on Saturday without issues. Due to a last minute issue, I had to take the standard SH17 to Mysore-Nanjangud. Left home at 6:00AM, and reached Nanjangud by 8:30AM.

Its distressing to drive on this road due to the badly implemented, innumerable number of speed breakers. Its a real curse on travelers to drive on this road. In every country of the world, the govt ensures citizens travel freely, but here, govt is putting in as many impediments and hazards as possible. In addition, appalling driving behavior by fellow motorists and KA Govt vehicles. Sad.

A big thank you again for the Hotel Mylari reference. This one is a real gem! We had a great time at this place. Dose is now 28Rs (not 15 rs). Please note that its located in a one-way street...very near to the Zoo / Hotel Sandesh The Prince.

Also, avoid going to KRS. The roads are pathetic. The crowd is unbearable and this place seems frozen in time. Its as exactly as it was 30 years back. Hundreds of thousands of people trying jostle around for the same piece of "attraction". Not worth your time and effort.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:54   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ranjit, and everyone else, I completed my trip on Saturday without issues. Due to a last minute issue, I had to take the standard SH17 to Mysore-Nanjangud. Left home at 6:00AM, and reached Nanjangud by 8:30AM.

Its distressing to drive on this road due to the badly implemented, innumerable number of speed breakers. Its a real curse on travelers to drive on this road. In every country of the world, the govt ensures citizens travel freely, but here, govt is putting in as many impediments and hazards as possible. In addition, appalling driving behavior by fellow motorists and KA Govt vehicles. Sad.

A big thank you again for the Hotel Mylari reference. This one is a real gem! We had a great time at this place. Dose is now 28Rs (not 15 rs). Please note that its located in a one-way street...very near to the Zoo / Hotel Sandesh The Prince.

Also, avoid going to KRS. The roads are pathetic. The crowd is unbearable and this place seems frozen in time. Its as exactly as it was 30 years back. Hundreds of thousands of people trying jostle around for the same piece of "attraction". Not worth your time and effort.
Which one did you end up going to?The restaurant onto your right or the left side one?

People still are fanatics for seeing the fountains sway to the music and the rush back to the millions of tourist buses that wait for them the moment the show is over.
Old 4th August 2014, 16:08   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Which one did you end up going to?The restaurant onto your right or the left side one?
Ha..never thought about that. Facing west (in the direction of one way traffic), it was on my left.

It was 'A' on the attached Google Earth map. Wasn't this the one you intended? We had a good time anyway, and the crowd was very decent as well. We are notoriously finicky about this, but we felt comfortable.

Its about time KRS reinvented itself. Sad that 1970s attractions are still serving the new generation, and left to govts devices, even in 2050 it will remain the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-mylari.png  

bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 23:06   #355
BHPian

One of friends went to mysore to attend a family function on 15th Aug. She started from Marathalli at 7-00 AM and reached at 12-30. it took 5 hrs from NICE exit to Columbia Asia on Mysore ORR!
Old 17th August 2014, 23:44   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
One of friends went to mysore to attend a family function on 15th Aug. She started from Marathalli at 7-00 AM and reached at 12-30. it took 5 hrs from NICE exit to Columbia Asia on Mysore ORR!
Ha ha ha... I started at 6:30 AM from Marathahally on 15/8, and reached the very same Mysore (southbound NH 212) before 9 AM. :-)

Of course, I went Kanakapura-Malavally-Bannur-Mysore.

Last edited by binand : 17th August 2014 at 23:46.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:53   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Ha ha ha... I started at 6:30 AM from Marathahally on 15/8, and reached the very same Mysore (southbound NH 212) before 9 AM. :-)

Of course, I went Kanakapura-Malavally-Bannur-Mysore.
Saturday's Hindu had a report on the weekend jam on SH17.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6321896.ece
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 10:20   #358
BHPian

I did the Bangalore ->Kanakapura ->Malavally -> Bannur -> Mysore last Friday, on the way to Coorg, and what a nightmare it was. Terrible traffic, Bikes, unpredictable speed breakers... I started at 12pm and reached at 5pm. On my way back took the SH17 and even with the traffic it was bliss. Most speed breakers are predictable and did the entire route from Madikeri to Bangalore (Malleswaram) in 4 hrs 40 mins.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:21   #359
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm planning to ride to Mysore tomorrow morning. Planning to join Kengeri around 6.30AM. Since it is a normal weekend, should I take the SH17? It'd be good if I can touch Mysore Ring Road around 9.15. The cruising speed won't be more than 80-85 km/h. Can it be achieved on SH17?
(I was a regular on this route earlier. But haven't ridden to Mys since more than a year)
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:07   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning to ride to Mysore tomorrow morning. Planning to join Kengeri around 6.30AM. Since it is a normal weekend, should I take the SH17? It'd be good if I can touch Mysore Ring Road around 9.15. The cruising speed won't be more than 80-85 km/h. Can it be achieved on SH17?
(I was a regular on this route earlier. But haven't ridden to Mys since more than a year)
Traffic would have picked up quite a bit by 6.30am. But reaching Mysore by 9.15 is definitely doable unless you take a break in between. You will be forced to slow down near Channapatana and Mandaya .
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed