Team-BHP Support

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
At last .... I hope this gets done quickly
This misery thread will now go on for ever

Quote:
The State Govt role is to co-ordinate land acquisition
And there it would end. I hope not though!
Old 9th September 2014, 14:31   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

I will driving to Kabini this Sunday. My ETD is 8 AM on Sunday. Google map states 4hrs 45 mins driving time via SH 17. How bad is the traffic on SH17 towards Mysore on Sunday mornings?

Since we are 5 adults + 1 kid, I've decided to rent a Tata Safari from Zoom for this trip instead of taking my Laura. The humps on SH 17 are really irritating and my left leg ached for a couple of days when I had driven on this road about 7-8 months back. I assume the clutch on the Safari will be heavier than that on my Laura so I wonder whether SH 209 via Kanakapura is a better option. But then again being Sunday, the villages on this road will probably be a little busier than the week days with their 'Santhes'.

I would prefer SH 17 given that apart from the road humps , there is no other real disadvantage. Only if the traffic on SH17 is very bad on Sundays, I'd like to ditch it for SH 209. Food options don't matter much as we'll be leaving after breakfast and plan to have lunch at our destination. Is Bangalore - Kabini doable in 5 hrs? The Safari is new to me so I'll be driving at very moderate speeds. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th September 2014, 14:40   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I would prefer SH 17 given that apart from the road humps , there is no other real disadvantage. Only if the traffic on SH17 is very bad on Sundays, I'd like to ditch it for SH 209.
Sunday morning traffic is not that bad on Mysore road, however it will be better to start a bit early than your planned 08.00 AM.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 15:07   #380
BHPian

Anyone tried leaving BLR before 6 am? I mean before the obstacles get to the Mysore highway? I once left at 5:45am and reached Mysore in 2.45 hrs. It was 3-4 years ago though.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:53   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Anyone tried leaving BLR before 6 am? I mean before the obstacles get to the Mysore highway? I once left at 5:45am and reached Mysore in 2.45 hrs. It was 3-4 years ago though.
Traffic on Mysore road starts from 5 AM in the morning especially during the weekends. Even if any one starts at 6 AM will come across a bit of traffic but not as heavy as after 8 AM
Old 9th September 2014, 17:38   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
My default departure time is around 4.30am. I hit Mysore road via nice road by 5am. Always reach Mysore by around 6.45am. Its a smooth ride even if it a long weekend. Till bidadi you may get slightly held up by Toyota buses bringing employees for the morning shift.
Old 20th September 2014, 07:49   #383
Senior - BHPian

More trouble on this road - Elephant strays into highway, knocks down parked car
Quote:
People out early Friday morning on the city's outskirts near Kumbalgod on the Bengaluru-Mysore Highway had the scare of their lives when a cow elephant wandered down the busy road, ramming into a parked car and then a wall in her way.

Not only have elephants from the Bannerghatta National Park (BNP) been seen crossing the Mysore-Bengaluru highway near Kumbalgod on their way to Tumkur and beyond in the recent past, but at least 10 people have been killed in elephant attacks in Tumkur district over the last five years.
Old 5th October 2014, 08:33   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Mysore trip yesterday. Expected the traffic to be the worst due to Dasara but I think we got lucky.

Bangalore(Bannerghatta Road)-Mysore:
Total Kms: 141
Total Speed Breakers: 67(Counted from Mysore Road-NICE Road junction till Mysore Outer ring road).
Time taken: 2:40 Mins (Running time)
- We started from Bangalore around 6:30 AM

Mysore - Bangalore(Bannerghatta Road)
Total Kms: 140.5
Time taken: 2:55 Mins (Running time including waiting at toll)
Started by 6:00 PM and reached by 9:00 PM
- Traffic was heavy but the good thing was, it was free-flowing and there were no pile-ups.
- Crossing NICE road entry toll took around 10mins due to a huge queue.
Old 6th October 2014, 18:23   #385
Senior - BHPian

Took the Mysore - Bannur - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore road today.

Mysore to Bannur hasn't changed a lot since a month. Roads in Bannur town have deteriorated massively, huge new ditches can be found in the middle of the road.

Bannur - Malavalli, looks like its undergoing road widening, they have put mud and gravel over the existing road, now its as good as having no roads for about 5KMs. See for yourself:

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20141006_064243001.jpg

There was a big lake on the road where the construction finished and tar roads resumed. When I stopped to take the picture, a two wheeler went through the lake. It was definitely over 6 inches deep, half of his wheels were submerged.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20141006_064808001.jpg

The upsides though, deserted roads. Despite non existant roads, it took me just 2:45 from Mysore home to Bangalore home
Old 9th October 2014, 22:56   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Its one of the best roads.
- There are humps around villages, but still OK. I would take this any day compared to Mysore road. (BTW even the Neligere-Srirangapatna is also going to become a NH)
- Exit Point from the 4-Lane: Neligere; Immediately after Belur Cross Toll Booth.
- If you plan to have a break, then get one around Kunigal. Once you come out, then you have nothing till Mysore.
- Right at the toll booth but on the opposite side, you have hotel Malgudi.
Hi Ampere,

Planning to drive to Mysore on Sat morning and return on Sunday from Fraser Town. Would you recommend this route? Could you help me with a map link?
Old 10th October 2014, 00:07   #387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Hi Ampere,

Planning to drive to Mysore on Sat morning and return on Sunday from Fraser Town. Would you recommend this route? Could you help me with a map link?
This is what I meant: Route Link

Hope this helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 02:04   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Hi Ampere,

Ampere's route is good, but it is longer lonelier and lots of speed bumps. The route goes through villages. But if you like sedate driving watching greenery, this is a good route.

I suggest you hit the road by 6:30am for Mysore, the traffic situation on the Bangalore-Mysore road will not be an issue. Return to Bangalore start before 10am.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 05:11   #389
BANNED

For people who can go to work a little late on Monday like 10.30am, does it make sense to start from Mysore on Monday morning at 7.00am? Would that be a two hour drive?

I have an acquaintance (in US) who is considering living in Mysore outskirts and commuting to Bangalore (Bannerghatta Road) for 3 days in a week, and work from Mysore (home) for the other 2 days. He would have a driver and would be on the road during weekdays. I am guessing the speed breaking barriers stay there during weekdays as well. Does anyone know?
Old 10th October 2014, 06:44   #390
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
For people who can go to work a little late on Monday like 10.30am, does it make sense to start from Mysore on Monday morning at 7.00am? Would that be a two hour drive?
2 hours may be a little too optimistic. Estimate 2.5 hours at least to be on safer side for Mysore outskirts to Bangalore outskirts. While the Mysore city traffic is avoided, for the Bangalore side I would suggest taking NICE Road from Kengeri to get to Bannerghatta Road

Hope this is what you meant/wanted to know - the 'speed breaking barriers' are not the temporary police metal barricades setup to control speed of vehicles, these are actual speed humps/bumps more than about 75 or so in number overall on this route

Last edited by NPV : 10th October 2014 at 06:47.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks