Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:46   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Did a quick run over the weekend Blr-Mys-Blr. Most of the speed breakers are gone now and the authorities have managed to level off the road where ever these speed breakers existed. I could count only 2 of the old piddly speed breakers all along the route. I am sure they should also be gone in a few days time.
However the humongous vehicle breakers still exist in Mandya .

What was unusual was the number of Highway Patrol vehicles and the interceptors spotted during my drive back yesterday morning.

I counted 5 interceptors while driving back to Blr. However these were stationed along the other side towards Mysore. So people driving during the day time, keep a look out. I saw 2 Audi's and a Merc pulled over by them cops at 2 places.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 23:24   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Mysore - Bangalore(Bannerghatta Road):

Onward journey: Bangalore - Bellur Cross - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore
  • Distance 203 Kms.
  • Running time: 3 hours and 5 minutes.
  • It was a stress free drive as the traffic was very less.
  • But Bellur Cross - Srirangapatna stretch has around 52 speed breakers, this was bit irritating at times.
  • Nil pothole.
  • There is a level crossing as well.
Few pics,

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-20150809_082346optimized.jpg

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-20150809_083152optimized.jpg

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-20150809_083155optimized.jpg

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-20150809_083227optimized.jpg

Return to bangalore was through the standard route,
  • Distance: 145 Kms.
  • Running time: 3 hours.(This was because of traffic and then rain)
  • Speed breakers has come down to around 32.
  • But the barricades doesn't make any difference when the traffic flow is high. Traffic was there at almost all the barricades.
  • Also, i felt this is little dangerous because some people were changing the lanes dangerously at the last moment.
  • I spotted 4 speed interceptors.

Last edited by arun_josie : 9th August 2015 at 23:27.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 18:08   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
What was unusual was the number of Highway Patrol vehicles and the interceptors spotted during my drive back yesterday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I spotted 4 speed interceptors.
I think what you are mentioning are the new highway patrol vehicles (Tata Sumo's) which has speed gun mounted on top.

Saw these last month from Gundlupet till Bangalore and also on Mangalore highway. All these had 'Courtesy of Mistral software' stickers pasted.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:36   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I think what you are mentioning are the new highway patrol vehicles (Tata Sumo's) which has speed gun mounted on top.
Yes, I think they were the same. In couple of places they were on the straight stretches and I was around 80-90 Kmph. So, I won't be surprised If I receive a ticket.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:06   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Saw these last month from Gundlupet till Bangalore and also on Mangalore highway. All these had 'Courtesy of Mistral software' stickers pasted.
Nopes not really. These Sumo's were just stickered with Highway Patrol and dint have any speed guns mounted on them or atleast lets say the ones I spotted never had speed guns.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:08   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, I think they were the same. In couple of places they were on the straight stretches and I was around 80-90 Kmph. So, I won't be surprised If I receive a ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Nopes not really. These Sumo's were just stickered with Highway Patrol and dint have any speed guns mounted on them or atleast lets say the ones I spotted never had speed guns.
Most of these Mitral vehicles have something that looks like a speed gun on them. I have crossed stationary sumos doing three digit speeds, been over a month and still no tickets. Crossed again last week and still nothing, Looks like its all show just to scare off people.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 08:18   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Most of these Mitral vehicles have something that looks like a speed gun on them. I have crossed stationary sumos doing three digit speeds, been over a month and still no tickets. Crossed again last week and still nothing, Looks like its all show just to scare off people.
But it very much looked like a speed gun. My worry is, people braking hard as soon as they see these vehicles. Especially in this stretch, it can easily cause a pile-up.
Old 11th August 2015, 08:40   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But it very much looked like a speed gun. My worry is, people braking hard as soon as they see these vehicles. Especially in this stretch, it can easily cause a pile-up.
it DOES look like speed cameras, but they're all non-fucntional. Thats what I implied in my previous post!

BTW, looks like Blore-Mysore road will be blocked on August 13. Heads up if you're travelling on that day, avoid SH17!

Source : Deccan Herald

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20150811_075349.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:29   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I have crossed stationary sumos doing three digit speeds...
Are Sumos capable of doing three digit speeds while being stationary?

<g,d&r>
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:33   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Are Sumos capable of doing three digit speeds while being stationary?

<g,d&r>
I meant sumos were stationary on the side of the road and I was doing triple digit speeds.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:42   #491
BHPian

Did a quick BNG-MYS round trip yesterday and saw that there are new road humps which are being constructed near the Channapatana town on both sides of the road. Be careful as they have not yet painted the humps. The sliding barricades is getting eroded I guess , by both nature and human pilferage.
Old 20th August 2015, 13:39   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Did a quick BNG-MYS round trip yesterday and saw that there are new road humps which are being constructed near the Channapatana town on both sides of the road. Be careful as they have not yet painted the humps. The sliding barricades is getting eroded I guess , by both nature and human pilferage.
These used to be normal humps. They we're removed and replaced with retractable barricades, villagers created a ruckus and they were replaced with terrible horrible unscientific speed breakers.

Now they've constructed proper ones with what looks like footpath tiles on top.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:01   #493
BHPian

Last month,I had a near miss near Madhur. Barricade was put on a curve in such a way that,if a vehicle is in front,you cannot see it.I was trying to overtake the BMTC bus. I stopped the car when I saw the barricade,but too late.The celerieo skid for a good 50 meters and hit the barricade (due to wet road).At that moment a villager came out giving excuses,then I understood that these are not legal.These barricades are kept to let people come out to the highway from the village road on their bikes or bullock carts. Good job! What can I say? My car just got a dent! I lost couple of thousands in repair.The time is not far ahead,when we will be reaching from Mysore to Bangalore in 4 hours through this road.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:30   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Barricade was put on a curve in such a way that,if a vehicle is in front,you cannot see it.I was trying to overtake the BMTC bus. I stopped the car when I saw the barricade,but too late.The celerieo skid for a good 50 meters and hit the barricade (due to wet road).
Seems to me - by your own admission - you were trying to overtake a bus on a blind curve. Not done.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:56   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Last month,I had a near miss near Madhur. Barricade was put on a curve in such a way that,if a vehicle is in front,you cannot see it.I was trying to overtake the BMTC bus.
Why blame the barricade ? You were overtaking a bus on a curve and I would refrain from doing that even if the road in question was a double carriageway and had a median.

But then that's just me. So peace

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks