Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 16:17   #526
BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Went to Mysore via Bangalore via NH275 (Electronic city) on Sunday the 31st Jan. Roads are good. Had lunch in Malgudi Vattika Veg Restaurant, Mysore road. Excellent location and tasty food with ample parking space. Tables in open air/Garden added happiness. Came back via Kanakapura due to Somnathpur visit. Two lane NH209. No issues except in a couple of places. Especially in "Bannur" (where we take right turn to Somnathpur). Pathetic for 1-2 kms. Crossing Bannur, it is good.
Old 13th March 2016, 22:01   #527
BHPian

Good to find this page with so many observations and suggestions!
Am planning to do Vellore-Mysuru mid-april with family, and bored of the regular route (NH275) from Bengaluru, what with all the speed breakers and unpredictable Mandya traffic. I will seriously consider the Kanakapura route, unless there are negative inputs before then

How I wish there was an alternative from Kanakapura upto Hosur!
In fact Google maps does show some options; but I wonder how it is between Harohalli and Attibele!
Any idea anyone tried this route??

Last edited by gibikote : 13th March 2016 at 22:08. Reason: found new information
Old 13th March 2016, 22:08   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibikote View Post
Am planning to do Vellore-Mysuru mid-april with family, and bored of the regular route (NH275) from Bengaluru, what with all the speed breakers and unpredictable Mandya traffic. I will seriously consider the Kanakapura route, unless there are negative inputs before then

How I wish there was an alternative from Kanakapura upto Hosur!
I drove on the Kanakpura route a week back, the roads are pretty much awesome except for a kilometer before and after Bannur town.

Bangalore to Kanakpura will have frustrating traffic. Once you clear the stretch, it will be bliss all the way!
Old 13th March 2016, 22:17   #529
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibikote View Post
I will seriously consider the Kanakapura route
Apart from the kanakapura-bannur route you can also do nelamangala-nelligere-srirangapatna route. It will have some speed breakers but not as bad as NH 275 and also much less traffic.
For you coming from hosur side, take NICE road and exit to Tumkur road then turn left at nelamangala onto the hassan/Mangalore NH 48 and turn after bellur cross towards nelligere.

Last edited by NPV : 13th March 2016 at 22:19.
Old 7th April 2016, 17:14   #530
Senior - BHPian

Work on upgradation of Mysuru-Bengaluru highway to begin in August 2016

Minister shared these plans:

* Land acquisition in progress, tender in June and work to start in August
* Bangalore University gate to Columbia asia junction, a distance of 117 Km will be 6 laned, toll road. There will be service roads on either sides and service roads are free.
* Bypass planned for Bidadi, Ramanagara, Chennapatna, Mandya & Srirangapatna. Flyover planned near Maddur.
* Current road, during holidays, records 70,000 passenger car units (PCUs) a day
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 18:57   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Bypass planned for Bidadi, Ramanagara, Chennapatna, Mandya & Srirangapatna. Flyover planned near Maddur.
Good news, I guess. Hope they finish off the road work without delay as in case of 4 laning around 2004.

Current highway around Chennapatana and Ramanagara is actually a bye-pass which has become inside town over the years.
Old 30th May 2016, 10:08   #532
BHPian

Last weekend, I went on a short weekend break to Coorg, and used the SH-17 Mysore road on both stretches. Surprisingly on Sunday (return), it was not as bad as I expected. Mostly smooth sailing, except some traffic jams in Mandya & Ramanagaram. The return was a pleasant surprise.

The onward journey, on Saturday, though, was quite a bother. A short distance after our breakfast stop at Kamat Lokruchi, there was a bumper-to-bumper jam, which was crawling really slow. Google maps showed it in the darkest shade of red possible, right upto Channapatna. The good thing was that Google maps also suggested an alternate route by taking a U-turn, going through some village roads, and then joining the main road after Channapatna railway station. This was helpful, but we lost at least 30 mins in crawling up to a U-turn in the jam. Does anyone know what had happened in Channapatna to cause this? The date was Saturday, 21-May, around 10:00AM.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:46   #533
BHPian

I did a short trip from Bangalore to Kabini and back over the weekend. Left on Friday June 17 via Kanakapura road - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore - HD Kote - Kabini. Took the same route on return too. The trip onward to Kabini was a breeze. However, on return, found Kanakapura road traffic way too high for a Sunday afternoon, especially car traffic in the opposite direction. Did any one else observe the same too? From the papers this morning, I gather this may have been due to blocks on Mysore road due to political protests. Please let me know your thoughts. I am hoping that I don't have to readjust my expectation of traffic on this road which has been a predictable smooth ride to Bangalore from Mysore side so far for me.
Old 20th June 2016, 10:39   #534
BHPian

I drove back yesterday evening on the same road ... Agree it was more than usual and due to the disturbances near Mandya and Maddur. But, it's better than the usual Mys-Mandya-channapattana- blore route.
Old 20th June 2016, 10:46   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
I did a short trip from Bangalore to Kabini and back over the weekend. Left on Friday June 17 via Kanakapura road - Malavalli - Bannur - Mysore - HD Kote - Kabini. Took the same route on return too. The trip onward to Kabini was a breeze. However, on return, found Kanakapura road traffic way too high for a Sunday afternoon, especially car traffic in the opposite direction. Did any one else observe the same too? From the papers this morning, I gather this may have been due to blocks on Mysore road due to political protests. Please let me know your thoughts. I am hoping that I don't have to readjust my expectation of traffic on this road which has been a predictable smooth ride to Bangalore from Mysore side so far for me.
I have taken this road a couple of times to go to Mysore / Nanjangud, since we stay near Konanakunte cross. I guess the opposite traffic while coming back to Bangalore is not usual scene, may be one off for any specific reasons. Though, on the way back, I find more traffic after crossing Kanakapura driving towards Bangalore city and it is understandable. But overall, this road is very good compared to the regular Bangalore - Mysore route.
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:07   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
I am going to Coorg tomorrow via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Mysore-Hunsur-Coorg. The traffic you encountered might have been due to the Political unrest in Mandya District. Even my friends and relatives are taking the Kanakapura Route to Mysore.

I am taking the Kanakapura route may be after 15 years and this is to totally avoid Mandya as I will travelling with my 6 months old Daughter. Even though I am from Mandya, I want to avoid this time and not ready to take any chances.

How is the Road condition after Kanakapura?

Regards
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:10   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I am going to Coorg tomorrow via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Mysore-Hunsur-Coorg. The traffic you encountered might have been due to the Political unrest in Mandya District. Even my friends and relatives are taking the Kanakapura Route to Mysore.

I am taking the Kanakapura route may be after 15 years and this is to totally avoid Mandya as I will travelling with my 6 months old Daughter. Even though I am from Mandya, I want to avoid this time and not ready to take any chances.

Regards
The road after Kanakpura is a bliss. I haven't gone the entire stretch till Mysore. But the roads till Malavalli is very good with less to zero traffic and clean roads. Think it goes through a couple of villages but nothing to be worried about in terms of traffic.
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:30   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to Coorg tomorrow via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Mysore-Hunsur-Coorg.
Had tested this route last month while on the way to Kannur.
Kanakapura-Malavalli was excellent.
Malavalli-Bannur was excellent, newly laid, wide with light to medium traffic.
Bannur town stretch of around a KM was pathetic then. Road work was underway. May have progressed since then.
Bannur to around 6-7 kms before Mysore ORR was again excellent. The last few KMs before the ORR junction was narrow with a lot of potholes. To get to Hunsur road, you can just take a right at the ORR junction and keep going on the same road till Hunsur road cross.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:33   #539
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to Coorg tomorrow via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Mysore-Hunsur-Coorg.

Road conditions are good since the Bannur road was relaid a few months ago, last report here mentioned about 1 Km or so near the town where work was incomplete, I'm guessing that will done by now.
There were reports of some agitations/protests in the Mysore area (due to the recent shuffling of cabinet ministers), so I would suggest an early start, say 5am.
Hope you know the route - Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri (If that's where in Coorg you're headed).
From Bannur you will reach the Mysore ORR and when you get to Columbia Asia Hospital signal proceed to the other side of the ORR towards Hunsur. You can stop en route at Kalyani which is a good restaurant.
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:13   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hope you know the route - Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri (If that's where in Coorg you're headed).
From Bannur you will reach the Mysore ORR and when you get to Columbia Asia Hospital signal proceed to the other side of the ORR towards Hunsur. You can stop en route at Kalyani which is a good restaurant.
I have a trip planned next month to Coorg and I had used the NH209 last time around but with family on board and rather few decent restaurants on this road, does it make any sense?

Also there is the Bangalore - Mangalore highway which is absolutely fantastic in addition to using the Bangalore - Mysore Highway. Does it make any difference if people leave early morning ~ between 5 and 6am?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks