Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 19:59   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, need to leave for Mysore at 4 p.m. on a Friday from Bangalore Airport.

Google is showing around 4 hours via the usual BLR-Mysore highway but also showing an alternative NH 150A via Kunigal and Srirangapatna. Any ideas on this route?

I want to avoid that hideous Friday traffic on the BLR-Mysore highway.
The alternate route must be via Kunigal Nelligere Nagamangala Pandavapura Srirangapatna and that is a route taken by many including myself on many occasions.

On a Friday evening since you will depart at 0430 from KIAL, this alternate would be more peaceful mainly in terms of traversing through all the towns that you get on the usual route. Here you mostly bypass all of them easily.

Also note that the route is 4 lane till you get off Mangalore NH at Nelligere. After this it's 2 lane for next 70 kms almost. Remember that this stretch itself is in good shape barring regular speedbreakers. So when you reach here it will be post dusk and hence you need to drive cautiously so that you don't jump one of these.

Otherwise you will straightaway hit the usual Mysore Bangalore highway just before Srirangapatna.

In terms of kms, I recall it's almost 30kms extra but you will take almost similar time during this time of the day. Where this fares better is in terms of offering "peace" that the usual route doesn't during this time!

Edit: you may want to tally avoid driving back towards Hebbal, tale KIAL-Doddaballapur-Nelamangala and then take the route towards Kunigal. Will indeed save good time and zero traffic- When you compare that to Hebbal, GG Palya, Peenya.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th February 2017 at 20:02.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 20:56   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks to both NPV & Parag.

I will take the KIAL - Nelamangala Road and directly take Bangalore Shimoga road via Kunigal, left at Bellur Cross and then arrow straight down to S'patna.
Old 7th February 2017, 21:29   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Also note that the route is 4 lane till you get off Mangalore NH at Nelligere. After this it's 2 lane for next 70 kms almost. Remember that this stretch itself is in good shape barring regular speedbreakers. So when you reach here it will be post dusk and hence you need to drive cautiously so that you don't jump one of these.
There's a stretch where road widening is happening, a little after you get into the 2 lane road. This section is quite bumpy and slushy.
It doesn't take too long to cross this, 10 mins at worst, but it can catch you by surprise if you are at a good speed, so keep an eye out for it. The diversion wasn't well marked when I drove along this stretch a week ago.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 08:00   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what's the best route to take from Bangalore to Mysore? Am at Indiranagar. Via nice and kanakapura?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 09:30   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys, what's the best route to take from Bangalore to Mysore? Am at Indiranagar. Via nice and kanakapura?
My suggestion would be to travel via Nice Road and Mysore Road. Even Kanakapura Road has constructions going on for a considerable stretch.
Old 8th February 2017, 11:54   #651
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on the time you plan to start from Indiranagar.
For early mornings say 5am or thereabouts, regular Mysore road route is fine.
If starting later, you can take Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur and reach the Mysore ring road directly.
Alternatively, you can take the Nelamangala-Bellur cross-Nelligere-Srirangapatna-mysore route, will add about 30km overall but sees less traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
My suggestion would be to travel via Nice Road and Mysore Road. Even Kanakapura Road has constructions going on for a considerable stretch.
Can you elaborate where and what construction is in progress on Kanakapura road ?

Last edited by NPV : 8th February 2017 at 11:57.
Old 8th February 2017, 12:13   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Can you elaborate where and what construction is in progress on Kanakapura road ?
Right from Konankunte Cross till beyond Kaggalipura, Metro construction (Extension of Metro Flyover - 14-15 Kms Appx) is happening. So, The Traffic will be heavy and slow moving for these 15 kms
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 16:46   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The construction is before NICE road junction

Quote:
Yes. This is the best option if you don't want to travel on the Mysore road. You will encounter some traffic till Kanakapura and after that it is a breeze.

Last edited by manson : 8th February 2017 at 20:41. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit tab whilst posting within an interval of 20 minutes.
Old 8th February 2017, 19:33   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
Right from Konankunte Cross till beyond Kaggalipura, Metro construction (Extension of Metro Flyover - 14-15 Kms Appx) is happening. So, The Traffic will be heavy and slow moving for these 15 kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The construction is before NICE road junction
Yes - the Metro work related construction activity is only till the NICE road intersection.

But there's road relaying (widening ?) in progress further down also - starting at Udayapura village (near the Cafe Coffee Day) till Kaggalipura village. When I travelled that way about 10 days back, the entire stretch from Art of Living till Somanahalli (about 6 or 7 kms) was a one-way with return traffic being diverted via the BWSSB service road which is broad enough for just a single vehicle.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 20:21   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

So what is the summary? Mysore road or kanakapura? Would rather not deal with the construction work downstream .
Old 8th February 2017, 20:44   #656
BHPian

Quote:
So what is the summary? Mysore road or kanakapura? Would rather not deal with the construction work downstream .

Stick to Mysore road if:
-> You are able to start early, before 7 am, considering that you are starting from Indiranagar. Anything beyond that, be prepared for hellish traffic

-> Food/clean rest room options are a priority

-> you prefer 4 lane roads with median over 2 lane, due to apprehensions of sudden overtaking stunts by vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

If the answer is 'no' for all of the above, then you can consider Kanakapura road.
Old 8th February 2017, 20:54   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is very subjective. I live close to Kanakapura road, so the extra 5-10 minutes of extra driving time that the roadwork costs me doesnt bother ME too much, but the perspective may be different for a traveller living elsewhere in the city .

The road surface itself isn't that bad for a "avoid" recommendation - it is just that the drive is not as smooth as you would like it to be, and you might end up driving at 20-30 kmph in a long convoy of vehicles if you take this road in the return direction.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:35   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Yes - the Metro work related construction activity is only till the NICE road intersection.

But there's road relaying (widening ?) in progress further down also - starting at Udayapura village (near the Cafe Coffee Day) till Kaggalipura village. When I travelled that way about 10 days back, the entire stretch from Art of Living till Somanahalli (about 6 or 7 kms) was a one-way with return traffic being diverted via the BWSSB service road which is broad enough for just a single vehicle.
Metro related work is now on in full swing past NICE road too. Either sides of the road has been dug up and is being levelled with ballast. I never saw this extension in any blueprints of BMRCL, so wondering what is exactly happening there. The road barricades has 'Namma metro' logo on them. The leveling work is now on till Thathaguni cross and looks like it will extend beyond that too.

The construction work beyond AOL ashram is for widening the stretch.
Old 8th February 2017, 21:38   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Stick to Mysore road if:
-> You are able to start early, before 7 am, considering that you are starting from Indiranagar. Anything beyond that, be prepared for hellish traffic
I would recommend to be on the mysore road flyover before 7am. Even than there is no guarantee that you won't find traffic at rajarajeshwari arch- Kengeri - Till the deviation to filmcity.
Old 9th February 2017, 00:03   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Dont even bother going to Kankapura road, just stick to Mysore Road.I just did Indiranagar to Mysore last week, at worse it would take you 3.5 hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks