Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 18:39   #676
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
We will leave KIAL area around 1630 so a light snack would be good followed by a late-ish dinner at Mysore. Any tried and 'tasted' joints?
As Parag mentioned, the good options are all till Bellur Cross with the last one being Mayura just after the Bellur Cross. This is probably a little ahead of the Srirangapatna turn off, so Swathi will be a better choice.

I'd suggest you stop at Swathi Delicacy near Yediyur about 10Km before Bellur Cross, this is on the right and yes it is a much "tried and tasted" option

There are 2 breaks in the median, one before (most buses and even private vehicles tend to use this, but I'd suggest not to) and another opening just after Swathi, I'd recommend you use this one to make a U-turn and head back about 100-150 metres to reach Swathi. Clean restrooms and is a decent place.
There is an Adigas Grand as well nearby, I've never tried it.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 18:44   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Dear NPV/Parag, any recommended vegetarian eating joints on the road between Nelamangala and Bellur Cross or between Bellur Cross and Srirangapatna? GMaps shows a fair number of places till Bellur Cross but unsure of hygiene etc
Swati Delicacy on the right or Mayura on the left further down.

I prefer Swati even though it involves a U-turn, but you would really be OK with either for what you're looking for.

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 21st February 2017 at 18:45. Reason: HTML
BackInTheFold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:26   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear NPV/Parag, any recommended vegetarian eating joints on the road between Nelamangala and Bellur Cross or between Bellur Cross and Srirangapatna? GMaps shows a fair number of places till Bellur Cross but unsure of hygiene etc.

We will leave KIAL area around 1630 so a light snack would be good followed by a late-ish dinner at Mysore. Any tried and 'tasted' joints?
I am very interested in this route. How many kms is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
I took this route to Mysore both to and fro last weekend.
Would you say it is overall better than kanakapura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
More diversions on Kanakapura road last weekend - roadwork in and around
The road work is horrendous. And where there is none, the roads are terrible for the most part. Only malavalli onwards do things become really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As Parag mentioned, the good options are all till Bellur Cross with the last one being Mayura just after the Bellur Cross.
I am making my way back to bangalore this weekend from Mysore and I am wondering if I should try this kunigal route out
Old 21st February 2017, 22:14   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am very interested in this route. How many kms is it?
This route will be longer by at least 30 kma and advantageous only if you are driving to or from Mysore during peak weekend hours.

So try it out when you think you would hate to drive to Mysore through the regular route and you will know the difference .

Quote:
Would you say it is overall better than kanakapura?
Depends again on where you stay In Bangalore and how closer are you to Kanakapura Road or Tumkur Road.

The turn off at Nelligere from Mangalore highway till you reach SR Patna and join the usual 4 lane Bangalore Mysore Road is around 60 kms and all 2 lane with occasional (but regular) speedbreakers passing each village. But traffic wise this is really a huge relief with hardly any vehicles except between Pandavapura and SR Patna.

Secondly, this 60 kms stretch has zero facilities - Good restaurants or Fuel stations.

With all this, it still is a good alternate to avoid the messy SH17.

So Bangalore to Nelligere - All 4 lane, 110 Kms, 2 hours.

Nelligere - Nagamangala -Pandavapura - SR Patna - 60 kms : 75 minutes

SR Patna - Mysore (Colombia Asia jn) : 15m

Overall, that's 3.5 Hours on this route to Mysore, mostly with assured peace .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 22:18   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Man... Those last two words got me. Assured peace. The kanakapura road is crap and less said about the Mysore highway the better. I live in kasturi nagar, so am a bit equidistant from both kanakapura (via nice) or tumkur (right cut off to orr). Is that flyover over the railway track done yet?

My travel will only be during weekends.
Old 21st February 2017, 23:57   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road work is horrendous. And where there is none, the roads are terrible for the most part. Only malavalli onwards do things become really good.
Beg to differ with your views on the road conditions on the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli highway. I can't really think of any stretch other than the places where roadwork is in progress which I can really term as terrible - and even in the places with roadwork the traffic moves reasonably smoothly because of the one way restrictions.

I just checked timings of my trip on this road last weekend, and found that it took me 1 hr 25 minutes for the 85 kms from NICE road-NH209 junction to Malavalli, and 1 hr 35 minutes for the same stretch in the return direction. This is with sedate unhurried driving, and I wouldn't call a road where you can average 60kmph as "terrible". (The extra 10 minutes taken for the return drive was mainly due to driving on the BWSSB service road for around 15 kms - you have to drive at the same speed as the slowest vehicle in the convoy because overtaking is virtually impossible)
Old 22nd February 2017, 06:51   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Man... Those last two words got me. Assured peace. The kanakapura road is crap and less said about the Mysore highway the better. I live in kasturi nagar, so am a bit equidistant from both kanakapura (via nice) or tumkur (right cut off to orr). Is that flyover over the railway track done yet?

My travel will only be during weekends.
Slightly off topic:
If you choose the Kunigal option, there might be an additional bonus in that you can get to explore the interesting vicinity. This area is a favorite Sunday breakfast ride haunt of mine.

Quite close to Swati Delicacy and almost bang opposite to Adigas, there is a road that leads to Markonahalli reservoir, an idyllic setting. Similarly, you could go to the Mavinakere temple which has great views. If you feel particularly self indulgent, the Shettihalli church is 90 minutes away.

I recall that you have a Versys. Some Versys worthy routes in the vicinity.

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 22nd February 2017 at 06:52. Reason: Auto correct that didn't
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:41   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb stuff.

Kala, for a 200 km stretch the road work time is frustrating. Plus the fact that the whole stretch is two lane, so theres no real let up to your concentration levels.

Backfold, yes i will try and check those options out one of these days. Melukote also has a beautiful narasimha temple if i am not mistaken, and a lovely local breakfast joint as well.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:23   #684
BHPian

Quote:
?...I live in kasturi nagar........Is that flyover over the railway track done yet?
I live in Kasturinagar too and as per my experience taking Mysore road is best if you are leaving Bangalore before 6am to beat city traffic and get past Kengeri.

I heard that the flyover over the railway track on ORR is now done. So using ORR to reach Tumkur road from Hebbal should be pain free.
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:23   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I live in Kasturinagar too and as per my experience taking Mysore road is best if you are leaving Bangalore before 6am to beat city traffic and get past Kengeri.

I heard that the flyover over the railway track on ORR is now done. So using ORR to reach Tumkur road from Hebbal should be pain free.
I am more hassled by all the people trying to cross over the roads and the general unruliness of traffic post 7 am. It really is very sad.

My inference is... Deal with 60km of stuff like this and get on to the hassan highway, or deal with 200k of this nonsense on either the Mysore highway or the kanakapura road.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Just toning down language after some reports. ;)
Old 27th February 2017, 23:06   #686
BHPian

Drove to Mysore over the weekend and took NH 48 till Nelligere before turning off and taking the route via Nagamangala - Pandavpura - S'patna - Mysore. Very peaceful even though it involves some toll and an additional 30 kms. After turning off its 2 laned SH (I think)

Was wondering whether to take Mysore road, few kms of crazy lane barging and barricades forced me back onto the road I took to drive to Mysore!
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:08   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

From today's Deccan Herald

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-_20170302_080303.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:15   #688
Team-BHP Support

The biggest issue with the 6 lane or 4-lane is: (esp this one)

- How they isolate the road from general traffic straying in?
- How clean are the bypasses.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:47   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The biggest issue with the 6 lane or 4-lane is: (esp this one)

- How they isolate the road from general traffic straying in?
- How clean are the bypasses.
The article (web version here) mentions these points:

"After the completion of the project, [...] there will be a six-lane main road flanked by a two-lane service road." - this should hopefully keep out the local traffic.

"Bypassing traffic at major towns on the way to Mysuru, including Ramanagaram and Mandya, will help avoid gridlocks" - didn't quite understand what you mean by "how clean". Bypasses are indeed planned for the two district headquarters towns that fall en route, at least.

I just hope this project at least proceeds as per plan and we get a usable BM Road by 2021.

Btw, is it OK to take this road with a 7 AM start from Bangalore? I am needed in Calicut only on Monday so was thinking I could delay my usual start time of 4 AM by 3 hours or so.
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:54   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Btw, is it OK to take this road with a 7 AM start from Bangalore? I am needed in Calicut only on Monday so was thinking I could delay my usual start time of 4 AM by 3 hours or so.
7 am start will mean moderate traffic. 6 am can be a balance.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks