Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 14:17   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

It takes me less than 2 hours to reach SR Patna. The SR Patna to Nagamangala road is also being upgraded to NH to divert truck traffic from coming to Bangalore. This will also be a good road very soon. I normally start around 8:00 am in the morning to Mysore. Mandya traffic is manageable on weekdays. While coming from Kunigal to H Durga, you will find a junction of 3 roads, left turn towards Magadi, right turn towards an unfinished H Durga bypass road and a straight road towards the town. Follow the straight road, you pass by an IOCL fuel station till you get a small junction. At this point, you can either go straight or take a right turn, keep left at the Y-section and take first left turn. I have shown both the options here.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-route.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 12th December 2017 at 14:47.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 19:49   #797
Senior - BHPian

Update on Pandavapura-Nagamangala-NH 75 stretch:

Took the Pandavapura-Nagamangala-Belur Cross (NH75) route yesterday while returning from Mysore side.
I did this stretch post sunset. Mind you, It is not easy at all with the headlight glare from oncoming vehicles, No one cares about dimming the high beams .

Srirangaptna-Pandavapura stretch has been relaid and most humps are gone. The stretch is a breeze. The good road continues further up to a few kms after Pandavapura and then 'work in progress' stretch starts. There are diversions, with one half blocked and shoulders dug up.
The WIP stretch continues for a few kms and then on wards the road is rough with occasional speed breakers. There are few culverts being build in this stretch also, so it is important to be on the vigil especially during night. Nagamangala to NH75 seems to be recently relaid and is in beautiful condition.

I could manage the 65 odd km stretch in around 75 minutes. I do have enough experience driving on such roads, but for people who are not used to driving on 2 lane highways post sunset, I advice to avoid this route strictly.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 1st January 2018 at 19:50.
sandsun7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:50   #798
Senior - BHPian

I visited Mysore on Sunday for a short trip, as usual, stuck to Magadi-H Durga-Maddur-Mysore route. I started at 6:30 am and reached the Zoo at 9:15 am, again started from Mysore at 1:30 pm and reached home at 4:30 pm. The WIP is now at only one place before Maddur, the H Durga bypass work is happening at a quick pace. The road widening inside H Durga town is completed and one can pass out of the town in 10 minutes. I heard about 6 hours travel time from Bangalore to Mysore on Saturday from few visitors in the Zoo.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 22:50   #799
BHPian

Just returned from Mysore , traffic was surprisingly thin. Couple of new speed breakers have come up near ramanagara
Old 15th January 2018, 06:28   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Srirangaptna-Pandavapura stretch has been relaid and most humps are gone.
I am a frequent user of this stretch. While the refinished roads are indeed good, what rankles me is the width of the railway overpass near the sugar factory-railway station junction. One has to be extremely careful here as sugarcane laden bullock carts with nary a light use the pass regularly. Overtaking, specially at dawn and dusk when the headlights of oncoming vehicles are either switched off too early or yet to be switched on (respectively), is a risky proposition.

Other flashpoints in the stretch are the places where there are Sapota vendors. People notice them and suddenly stop their cars without consideration for other motorists.
Old 26th January 2018, 22:37   #801
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea why gmaps is suggesting taking the outer ring road from nayandahalli, getting on to the nice road and exiting at Kengeri when going to Mysore ? Is there some road blockage between nayandahalli and Kengeri or is it because of the metro work that's in progress (and it can be painful driving between the maze of metro barricades) ?
Old 27th January 2018, 00:40   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any idea why gmaps is suggesting taking the outer ring road from nayandahalli, getting on to the nice road and exiting at Kengeri when going to Mysore ? Is there some road blockage between nayandahalli and Kengeri or is it because of the metro work that's in progress (and it can be painful driving between the maze of metro barricades) ?
Thats been google standard route for quite some time when you search for the route from central bangalore to mysore. During peak hours it makes sense while driving out of Bangalore but if its early morning then drive stay through Kengeri.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 07:31   #803
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if it's the reason, however I guess it's since as per Google maps Mysore road past Kengeri upanagara turn off towards Bangalore is not marked as NH.

May be Google routing algorithm is considering road between Kengeri & Bangalore as city road and hence diverting through NICE, which again is marked as NH in Google maps.
Old 27th January 2018, 09:25   #804
Senior - BHPian

Also, Google takes into account instantaneous traffic. If you are on the PC version of Google Maps you have the option of specifying a start time, which might route you differently. For all my early morning drives to Kerala Google Maps takes me through Mysore Road/Kengeri, but at other times it asks me to take BETL/NICE.

(The PC version also has the option of avoiding tolled roads).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 08:44   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

I have driven on Bangalore Mysore highway many times. It was my worst drive yesterday. Thanks to long weekend traffic, it was horrible. I took around 4.5 hours to reach Bangalore (E-City) . I am happy that I left Mysore after lunch. I heard that traffic had become worse later. Speed breakers, many towns, signals and what not!

I was little relieved after I hit NICE road. But there was an accident involving 3 cars and I got stuck again.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 29th January 2018 at 08:46.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 10:09   #806

After a few B-M journeys I have mastered a trick. Get behind a fast moving KSRTC bus and be its tail. You will definitely reach earlier. You must keep safe braking distance, bus must have working brake lights, you should be alert, and everyone in the car should be quiet. This is from 40 years of experience.
Kulin_Shah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 14:22   #807
Senior - BHPian

This weekend traffic between Mysore and Bangalore was a nightmare.
Luckily I took the Kanakpura route and was saved from the hassles. Left Mysore at 11:30AM and reached home at 2:15PM.

A friend of mine took the NH275 and he took 5.5 hrs to reach his home in Jayanagar having started pretty much at the same time.
Old 29th January 2018, 16:38   #808
BHPian

I can imagine how bad it would have been yesterday as I had decided to take a diversion at Srirangapatna towards Pandavapura on the long weekend of May 1 last year after seeing the madness on the highway.

We have a newspaper article about this too.

Quote:
Hotels, restaurants on highway run out of food
Amid all the chaos, hotels and restaurants on the highway made good business. In fact, many restaurants an out of food, forcing them to down shutters. People were seen even thronging small snack shops and ruit vendors on pushcarts. However, vegetable vendors on the highway were worst hit as people did not have place to park their vehicles.
Old 29th January 2018, 18:20   #809
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend who traveled Bangalore to Calicut via Mysore yesterday mentioned that he lost almost an hour in Mysore due to some procession in the evening around 4-5pm. Could not get more details. They managed to reach Sulthan Bathery around 8:15pm
Old 30th January 2018, 11:20   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

It has certainly become a nightmare driving between Bangalore and Mysore passing through Ramanagara, Chennapatna, Mandya during weekends. Options to avoid waste of time is to drive during unearthly hours or take a train if you want to stick to this route.

With the Electrification done on the Bangalore - Mysore Line, the train journey will be feasible with around 2.5 hours of travel time.

Most Viewed