Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2018, 20:14   #841
BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Hi,
Are these election related checks taking place only on the Bangalore/Mysore highway or on all the highways leading out of bangalore? Like for example, the NH-4 Tumkur road?
During my journey from Shimoga last Sunday, I noticed that check points with barricade ware present all the way till Hiriyuru from Shimoga. In total I was stopped 4 times and there was no checking or stopping as such in the NH4 from Hiriyuru till I reached my home.

But overall these checkpoints are manned by 4 -5 people and only 2 persons involve in checking the vehicles. If the traffic is more then there will be too much delay due to this.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 27th April 2018 at 20:18.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 20:59   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these election related checks taking place only on the Bangalore/Mysore highway or on all the highways leading out of bangalore? Like for example, the NH-4 Tumkur road?
Can't talk about NH 4.

A few days before the 2013 elections I had driven out to and back from Calicut via NH 209. Then too, the checking was strict and repeated (I passed 3 checkpoints I think between Bangalore and Chamarajanagar).

But the constituencies that side are somewhat politically sensitive, so I guess checking is more intense.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 07:52   #843
Senior - BHPian

The Huliyurdurga bypass is now open for traffic, the road from Kunigal to H Durga too has been relaid.
Old 29th April 2018, 10:33   #844
BHPian

Drove to Mysore from Yelahanka this Saturday. Started at around 7am. Passed by 2-3 election checkposts, wasn't stopped for any checking. Didn't observe any traffic build up due to these checkposts on either direction...
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 12:45   #845
BHPian

I too drove to Mysore yesterday night. Started from BLR at 9 pm and reached Mysore at 11.30..was stopped at Metagalli check post for election related checking. No traffic whatsoever..peaceful drive. Bliss!!
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 19:52   #846
BHPian

Anyone in the recent past drove to Mysore on the Kanakapura route?

Looking for some information on the road conditions, traffic and restaurants on the way.
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:06   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looking for some information on the road conditions, traffic and restaurants on the way.
I came from Mysore to Bangalore through Kanakpura yesterday (May 1st) evening. I was coming back from Gudalur and took the Mysore ring road and then to Bannur, Kolligal and Kanakpura. I was expecting heavy traffic after the long weekend, but was a pleasant drive with very light traffic and could reach JP Nagar in 3 hours.

Road widening work is in progress in many areas , but is not hindering the traffic movement much. Widening is completed in many places and traffic is smooth and fast there. Road surface is excellent all through.

There were election check points on too many places, but we were stopped only in 1 place after Kanankpura and it took only couple of minutes

Food outlets are a problem on this road and we drove without lunch till Bangalore. There was one decent looking place near Kanakpura, I dont recollect the name, while going from Bangalore, it's located on the right hand side before you enter Kanakpura town. We stopped here, but found the place crowded and proceeded with out having the food there.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:31   #848
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore route is fine though there are/were some work in progress widening sections en route but manageable I think.
Only dampener for next 10 days or so could be election related checkposts and political meetings/rallies causing delays.

Restaurants:
When going from Bangalore, before Kanakapura you have Mandarathi Garden and Route 31.
Inside Kanakapura town you have Vasu Hotel and Srinivasa Sagar and Gokul Veg (this one is not open for breakfast).

Linking an earlier post here (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore)

Last edited by NPV : 2nd May 2018 at 13:32.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:45   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore route is fine though there are/were some work in progress widening sections en route but manageable I think.
Only dampener for next 10 days or so could be election related checkposts and political meetings/rallies causing delays.

Restaurants:
When going from Bangalore, before Kanakapura you have Mandarathi Garden and Route 31.
Inside Kanakapura town you have Vasu Hotel and Srinivasa Sagar and Gokul Veg (this one is not open for breakfast).

Linking an earlier post here (Driving between Bangalore and Mysore)
Got to know of another hotel (from a BHPian) before Kanakapura which serves Davanagere benne dose, which is 26 Kms before Kanakapura, here is the Gmaps link. No update on the quality though, as of now.

Nasa's Davangere Benne Dosa Hotel
Nettigere, Karnataka 560082
073489 89484

https://goo.gl/maps/GV3t6VFYigu

KK

Edit: Think this was opened 3 months back.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 2nd May 2018 at 13:52.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 15:29   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Got to know of another hotel (from a BHPian) before Kanakapura which serves Davanagere benne dose, which is 26 Kms before Kanakapura, here is the Gmaps link. No update on the quality though, as of now.

Nasa's Davangere Benne Dosa Hotel
Nettigere, Karnataka 560082
073489 89484

https://goo.gl/maps/GV3t6VFYigu

KK

Edit: Think this was opened 3 months back.
This is where finally we had our lunch around 4.30 PM. It is too close to Bangalore and is a no frill place with no facilities like a washroom. Food taste was ok, they have dosas and vadas on the menu.
Old 4th May 2018, 16:50   #851
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Kanakapura - Mallavalli - Mysore enroute to Calicut couple of weeks back.

Couple of updates -

- Road work at multiple locations between Bangalore & Mallavalli. Marked increase compared to couple of months back.
- Multiple locations have barricades now all way till Mysore.
- Long pending Bannur town road work is done. Though road is patchy around Bannur, infact the worst between Mysore & Mallavalli, it is good that its completed finally.

For detail on route update after Mysore, you can refer my post here
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 11:34   #852
BHPian

Yesteray on a bike ride I was coming down from Wayanad side and decided to take Kanakapura road in order to avoid the Mysore road traffic, bad decision in deed.

I was on bike and took Gundlupete - Chamarajanagara - Malavalli - Kanakapura - J P Nagar and roads upto Malavalli ranges from good to decent and real pain starts from Malavalli. I have taken Kanakapura road multiple times but those mostly in weekdays and had not really experienced weekend traffic here.

Single lane, rash driving, repair works at many places, what else one needs to avoid this route. For two-wheelers it's more of a risk riding here at night. I will never take this route again while coming from Mysore to Bangalore, but will still prefer this for onward journey.

Which is the preferred route from Mysore to Bangalore, other than the Hassan route. I have taken Hassan route also earlier, but just to know if there are any other left.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 7th May 2018 at 11:45.
Old 7th May 2018, 12:01   #853
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Which is the preferred route from Mysore to Bangalore, other than the Hassan route. I have taken Hassan route also earlier, but just to know if there are any other left.
Currently all of them are a gamble due to one or more reasons.
Bannur or Chamarajanagar-Malavalli-Kanakapura road -> weekends and evening is bad due to narrow roads and construction activities, entering Bangalore becomes painful.

Srirangapatna-Pandavapura-Nagamangala -> has road work for about 10-15 Km in small sections, night driving will be difficult.

Even regular Bangalore-Mysore road route (NH 275) has rough patches, speed breakers and collapsible barricades making it painful (in addition to bad drivers and dense traffic). And from Kengeri onwards, the metro construction maze takes over

For now, I think it's better to choose the right time and take one of these routes (night drives Mysore Road is better).

On a recent trip, I deliberately delayed my start from Mysore to 7pm and it worked out well, was home by 11pm with a dinner break as well. Took the regular Mysore road route.

*EDIT:Probably Huliyurdurga-Magadi route is an option (look for posts by @deehunk/@dailydriver) but I haven't tried this and not sure how it will be for an evening/night drive.

Last edited by NPV : 7th May 2018 at 12:09.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 12:20   #854
BHPian

Start your drive or ride by 9 pm. And reach either BLR or MYS in about 2 hours on the Mysore NH 275. This is what I have been doing lately and am very happy.
Old 21st May 2018, 20:41   #855
BHPian

Last week I did a Bangalore-Mysore-Bangalore trip on a weekday.
Onward journey with 7:30 AM start led us straight to a jam at Kengeri. It never really relented after that and was the usual procession of cars all the way till Mandya, after which it eased up a bit.
Normally I avoid regular Mysore road but had to take it as we wanted to stop en route for breakfast and I was somewhat hopeful that weekday traffic would not be too much.

On the return journey, we started from Mysore at 6 pm. The sheer number of cars that were trying to enter that little orifice of road towards Bangalore at Columbia Asia junction reinforced my decision to take the Kanakapura road.

Good news about this road is that the expansion work that was ongoing between malavalli and Kanakapura is now getting completed in patches.
Bad news is that this work has now started between Kanakapura and Bangalore.

Nevertheless, since I stay closer to Kanakapura road, I was able to complete the journey in under 3 hours, something which would have been impossible on Mysore road.
Weekend traffic and night time driving is bound to become more taxing than what it already is on Kanakapura road.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed