Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 20:06   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks! Will try it just for the heck of it, and report back
So, here is a quick report, as promised : I did end up going off NH275 just after Madduru and took SH33 to Malvalli. The road is freshly laid all the way till Malavalli and a delight to drive on. However, given the numerous villages en-route, it is best to maintain moderate speeds and avoid overspeeding. Moreover, it is a very scenic drive and warrants moderate speeds to be able to enjoy the vistas Crossing Malavalli takes about 5-10 minutes depending on the time of the day and from thereon, the road conditions all the way till Mysore ring road vary from good to very good, despite being 2-lane. All in all, this option is highly recommended during day time but should be avoided during night drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Noticed last weekend that both sides of road has been levelled at multiple places between Bangalore - Mandya
Yes, I noticed the same as well. Not sure if this will help unless all major towns (Mandya, Channapatna, etc.) are bypassed.
Old 5th June 2019, 18:00   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Yes, I noticed the same as well. Not sure if this will help unless all major towns (Mandya, Channapatna, etc.) are bypassed.
I remember a news article mentioning that it would be the case.

Though, the current road through these towns are a bye-pass, it may require new ones.

Not sure how easy that would be since surrounding of most of these towns are somewhat densely populated.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:40   #948
BHPian

On my last trip towards Mysore I saw these painted on the road - '<town name1>-<town name2> bypass start' and similarly '<town name1>-<town name2> bypass end'
So, I think some kind of bypass is being planned.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:47   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Seems like Bangalore - Mysore road widening work is slowly starting.

Noticed last weekend that both sides of road has been levelled at multiple places between Bangalore - Mandya.
Hope Kanakapura - Mallavalli widening work gets over before this picks up fully, else it is going to be tough.
That is correct. Almost the entire stretch on the Mysore Road is dug up at the sides for road widening. Did not cause any hassles as such in terms of ongoing traffic, the existing road still remains as is.

However, I noticed that may restaurants and food complexes are either gone, substantially cut down in size or closed due to their compounds having been encroached through the road widening process. In a couple of very short spells (Maddur / Mandya) the widened road is actually in operation.
Old 6th June 2019, 19:33   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

I wish they would think beyond just widening and more bypasses. The Bangalore-Mysore stretch definitely needs a 6 lane access controlled expressway considering the importance of both cities and the traffic volumes between them (Basically what the Bangalore-Mysore NICE Expressway was planned to be). Widening is just a stop gap arrangement.
Old 7th June 2019, 06:40   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I wish they would think beyond just widening and more bypasses. The Bangalore-Mysore stretch definitely needs a 6 lane access controlled expressway considering the importance of both cities and the traffic volumes between them (Basically what the Bangalore-Mysore NICE Expressway was planned to be). Widening is just a stop gap arrangement.
The current project is not just widening the existing highway, but converting it to an access controlled tolled road, isn't it?

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le26425932.ece

Quote:
The access controlled six-lane highway will have fencing on either side to provide for a free and uninterrupted ride along the journey and there will be 49 underpasses, 13 overpasses and 69 bus bays. “The profile of the existing highway will change as more than 75% of the road will be new. Only short stretches deviating to the towns along the route will remain in its present form,” according to officials.
Old 7th June 2019, 07:51   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The current project is not just widening the existing highway, but converting it to an access controlled tolled road, isn't it?

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le26425932.ece
Ah ok. Thanks. Was assuming it is a regular widening. That is good news. Good to see the plan for a bypass skipping both Ramanagara and Channapatna in one go. If that is completed it self, half the bottlenecks on the stretch can reduce.
Old 5th July 2019, 11:52   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There is a route via Anekal to reach Kanakapura bypassing the Bangalore city traffic up to Kaggalipura. The route goes like Hosur-Anekal-Indlawadi-Uraganadoddi-Tattekere-Harohalli-Kanakapura. This road was repaired in 2016 and I last travelled on this route in January 2019. The road was in good condition, it takes about 30 minutes to reach Harohalli from Anekal.
Hey,
How is the road condition now, did you travel this route since Jan 2019.

Also, how is the mallige metlu route to Kanakapura. I will be travelling early morning (6 am) from Marsur to Mysore in my Esteem, alone. I wanted to try this route rather than NICE and Mysore road.
Do let me know if you have an update on the road status.

Last edited by ampere : 5th July 2019 at 12:00. Reason: formatted
Old 5th July 2019, 13:28   #954
Senior - BHPian

There is no need to take Mallige Mettilu route after Tattekere, continue straight to Harohalli from Tattekere. There are two routes one from Byagadenahalli via Kumbaranahalli and other via Anekal to reach Indlavadi. Early morning means you are looking at a 50 minutes drive to Kanakapura.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:15   #955
BHPian

Quote:
There is no need to take Mallige Mettilu route after Tattekere, continue straight to Harohalli from Tattekere. There are two routes one from Byagadenahalli via Kumbaranahalli and other via Anekal to reach Indlavadi. Early morning means you are looking at a 50 minutes drive to Kanakapura.
Thanks.
Google shows this route, hope this is the same you are suggesting.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Un...1562389200!3e0
How about road condition? Is this suitable for a Esteem?
Old 5th July 2019, 19:05   #956
Senior - BHPian

Do you stay in Aishwarya Royal Park, Marasur? The roads are ok for Esteem, Google is asking you take the right turn opposite to M-TRES School. I suggest that you go to Anekal and take the right turn after Vijaya Hospital and then join Indlavadi. There are no unusual humps and roads are in decent condition till Harohalli.
Old 5th July 2019, 19:30   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Do you stay in Aishwarya Royal Park, Marasur? The roads are ok for Esteem, Google is asking you take the right turn opposite to M-TRES School. I suggest that you go to Anekal and take the right turn after Vijaya Hospital and then join Indlavadi. There are no unusual humps and roads are in decent condition till Harohalli.
Nope, i don't stay at Aishwarya Royal Park. Coming there to visit a relative.
Thanks for the info, will take the Vijaya Hospital route.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 15:57   #958
BHPian

Quote:
I took this route yesterday and found the road pretty good.
Took me exactly 50 mins to reach Harohalli from Aishwarya Royal Park. Took the Anekal - Indalvadi - Uruganadoddi - Thattehali - Harohalli route, except for few potholes around Uruganadoddi, rest of the road is good.
I felt slowed down after reaching Kanakapura road as there are numerous diversions and humps due to road widening. Would be better to continue up to Kanakapura via Mallige Mettlu if the roads are good.
All in all, a good alternative to Kanakapura road for day driving, wouldn't prefer night drive as this is quite desolate.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 19:11   #959
Senior - BHPian

Malligemettilu road is not that great, we a group of cousins every year walk to the Lord Srinivasa temple in Kallahalli near Kanakapura from Chandapura. We always take Mallige mettilu route for our walkathon. It is not good for driving.
Old 29th July 2019, 17:16   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Mysore and back last Saturday owing to a Temple visit atop Chamundeshwari Hill.

As always, took the Bangalore - Mangalore NH till Bellur cross and then deviated onto Nelligere - Pandavapura route to merge the usual Bangalore - Mangalore Highway at Srirangapattana.

The Single carriageway 2 lane stretch is still undergoing expansion and going by the experience, I can say it is 95% complete with pending work remaining around or near few towns and villages, especially Melukote.
  • The expanded road is wider and there are shoulders on both sides

• The surface is smooth, well marked (wherever complete)

• Speedbreakers have greatly reduced but I am sure few will come up sooner or later.

• This 65 Km stretch takes around 60-65 Minutes to cover with decent speeds of around 90-100 KMPH on good stretches and 80-90 KMPH elsewhere
  • Most likely, there is a toll booth that will come up somewhere after Melukote Turn off

During return, I was planning to take the usual road via Mandya and Maddur but somehow I hate driving on this road even at odd hours. So I still took the detour and managed to reach home in 3:04 Hours starting from Mysore Bus Stand (we had dined at a restaurant opposite to this) till Yelahanka.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-screenshot_20190727171304154_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Not bad at all because this includes 20 minutes to get out of Mysore and another 30 to reach home after getting off NH at Goreguntepalya.

As for me, this option will always remain my choice mainly because I stay in North Bangalore and secondly because of the peace it offers against the usual road to Mysore and thirdly because it is more predictable (no Road blocking etc) and lastly, the only stretch to bear is SR Patna to Mysore which is hardly a matter of 15 minutes.

The existing road, notice that the shoulders are not that wide:

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-01-existing-road.jpg
Widened road, will easily accommodate shoulder on both sides:
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-02-upgraded-unmarked.jpg
Fully completed road with markings. Gives you a perspective on how wide this is:
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-03-upgraded-marked.jpg
The work in progress sections:
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-04-work-progress.jpg

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-05-work-progress.jpg
The only reason this section is concrete, opens wide in the center and again becomes narrow (nowhere close to any town as well) is because a toll booth might come up here:
Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-06-upcoming-toll-booth.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th July 2019 at 17:39.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed