Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 09:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Munnar, Kemmangundi or Chickmagalur for a 3 days trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Praz, did you check how is the weather in Agumbe. Agumbe is heavenly during the monsoon but could look just the opposite during the summer. I've been to Agumbe twice, once during winter and once during summer. Would suggest you to check the weather before zeroing in on each place.

For acco in Agumbe, there is a small lodge called Mallya Residency. The guy who owns it was very friendly and arranged some delicios food for us. Probably you can look at that place for your stay.

All the places you've mentioned so far is doable with Punto, you will really enjoy driving through these places.
Let me know in case you need any detail.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding Agumbe. We will spend more time there if weather permits. Otherwise, we will keep moving. Now that you have told me it is doable by Punto, it is reassuring. Looking forward to this trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Second that.

I had been to Kudlu Falls, Agumbe and Shringeri on a bike during the 1st week of April on 2009 and it was hot! Another thing - I doubt how much water Agumbe falls will have. If there's quite a bit, the heat wouldn't really be a problem.
Thanks buddy. Will check out the weather. Anyhow, there are a lot of places to cover and if we don't like the weather in Agumbe, we just move on.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The route I found on Google maps is Chikmagalur-Kaimara-Kemmangundu. Is that the one you are referring to? I didn't find Arasinaguppe on Google maps. Lingadahalli looks far ahead; as in, one would have to go there and then come back for Kemmangundi. I've attached snapshots. Could you suggest the better route please.
Yes I'm referring to the same route. Probably Arasinaguppe is not marked in that map.
You don't have to touch Lingadahally, There's a marking towards your left(near Petrol bunk), that's where you have to turn towards Kemmangundi.

Quote:
I noted that but couldn't find the exact route on google maps. Could you tell me which of the 2 I have pasted in my earlier thread. Or is it some other one?
I have answered above for the same, route 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post
Thanks for the heads-up regarding Agumbe. We will spend more time there if weather permits. Otherwise, we will keep moving. Now that you have told me it is doable by Punto, it is reassuring. Looking forward to this trip...

Thanks buddy. Will check out the weather. Anyhow, there are a lot of places to cover and if we don't like the weather in Agumbe, we just move on.
I had been to Agumbe around 8 days back. The weather is slightly hot over there due to humidity, but definetely not as hot as you have imagined. My Civic temperature reading was 31D C @ 12 noon.
Good thing is that you'll experience cool breeze around.
Road to agumbe is doable by any car.

Last edited by sushrutha : 15th March 2011 at 10:48.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

I had been to Agumbe around 8 days back. The weather is slightly hot over there due to humidity, but definetely not as hot as you have imagined. My Civic temperature reading was 31D C @ 12 noon.
Good thing is that you'll experience cool breeze around.
Road to agumbe is doable by any car.
This is also the best time to view the glorius sunsets at Agumbe
Old 15th March 2011, 11:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Out of interest and curiousity,what can one expect to see in Agumbe and distance from CKM please?
Old 15th March 2011, 11:11   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Out of interest and curiousity,what can one expect to see in Agumbe and distance from CKM please?
Well, there's the Hebbe Falls and a beautiful sunset point. It is on the edge of a hill and there's a scenic winding road that runs down through that hill. On the horizon you see a terrific hill range and the sun setting into them.

There's Shringeri too, a holy place with a lot of temples.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, there's the Hebbe Falls and a beautiful sunset point. It is on the edge of a hill and there's a scenic winding road that runs down through that hill. On the horizon you see a terrific hill range and the sun setting into them.

There's Shringeri too, a holy place with a lot of temples.
Also a Jain temple on top of a hill @ Kundadri, Around 10kms from Agumbe.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:21   #67
Team-BHP Support

In addition to sunset point and Sringeri, Agumbe has Jogi-gundi falls also, which is around 3km from Agumbe town. It is a small waterfall from a cave. Reachable by a small 1km hike through the forest and doable by anyone. This time of the year wouldn't have many leeches in the forest either, compared to post-monsoon time

On route to Sringeri, there is a slight deviation to another waterfalls called Sirimane falls near Kigga - we found this extremely clean, deserted and unpolluted, quite unlike most of the other tourist-abused waterfalls in karnataka. While at Agumbe, you could even visit Agumbe Rainforest Research station (ARRS), a place where researchers study King cobras and other species endemic to the western ghats (this is where they filmed NGC documentaries on the king cobra). If you are lucky they might show you around their place and you could spot a few insects or snakes
Old 16th March 2011, 11:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Agumbe Rainforest Research station (ARRS), a place where researchers study King cobras and other species endemic to the western ghats (this is where they filmed NGC documentaries on the king cobra). If you are lucky they might show you around their place and you could spot a few insects or snakes
Some posts on the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Is this open to general visitors who want to learn something about snakes?

I would love to spend a few days there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
@ragul: absolutely sir. The ARSS (agumbe rainforest research station) regularly needs volunteers (who can be anybody with interest in snakes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Please check the below link for Agumbe pics & ARRS.
Beautiful pics
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2278382
Old 16th March 2011, 12:18   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Please check the below link for Agumbe pics & ARRS.
Beautiful pics
Just one look at those pics will inspire anyone to pack their bags and go to this heavenly place
Old 4th August 2011, 20:16   #70
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Is August end good time to visit Chikmangalur and Kemmangundi? Will it be too rainy to visit any places?
Old 4th August 2011, 20:20   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Hey Guys,

Is August end good time to visit Chikmangalur and Kemmangundi? Will it be too rainy to visit any places?
It is one helluva time to head there; these places are nice during the rains.

Go ahead
Old 5th August 2011, 09:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Quote:

Go ahead
As Libran rightly said "JUST DO IT" it is heavenly. Take a look at my TL on the drive done in last week of July. We did not do Kemmanagundi. But it was awesome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-monsoon.html
Old 5th August 2011, 10:57   #73
BHPian

Quote:

Go ahead
This surely gives some confidence . Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
As Libran rightly said "JUST DO IT" it is heavenly. Take a look at my TL on the drive done in last week of July. We did not do Kemmanagundi. But it was awesome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-monsoon.html
Awesome TL Fauji. BTW we work for same company .
Old 6th August 2011, 19:59   #74
BHPian

All right. Booked a homestay for the 20th Aug weekend. Now time to jolt down the itinerary. I plan to cover Halebid and Belur on return drive on 3rd day, so I need suggestions for first 2 days.
Old 6th August 2011, 21:12   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All right. Booked a homestay for the 20th Aug weekend. Now time to jolt down the itinerary. I plan to cover Halebid and Belur on return drive on 3rd day, so I need suggestions for first 2 days.
Put at least 2-3 hours each for the two temples. That means you would be done only by noon or late afternoon. Hence need to plan return drive accordingly.

Most Viewed