Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 18:07   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
@ Ampere..Thank you very much.
Google map shows there is A2B in Thulukkanur right after Ammampalayam few km after Ramas Cafe. And it comes on the right side when going to Chidambaram. You could give that a try as well if there is space to make a right turn.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 9th January 2018 at 18:10.
Old 9th January 2018, 19:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chidambaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Google map shows there is A2B in Thulukkanur right after Ammampalayam few km after Ramas Cafe. And it comes on the right side when going to Chidambaram. You could give that a try as well if there is space to make a right turn.
That is correct. There is a new A2B may be opened about 6 months ago which comes on your right immediately in few kms after Attur Ramas Veg, when travelling from Salem towards Vridhachalam.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 15:45   #63
BHPian

We completed the trip to Chidambaram. This was done by going in two Tempo travellers and journey was at night time both ways.

We took the following route for both onward and return :

BLR - Salem - Attur - Virudhachalam - Neyveli - Kullanchavadi - Alapakkam (ECR Road) - Chidambaram.

Excellent roads throughout. Eating / rest room options very very minimal after Attur. Could see only petty shops / dhabhas selling tea and snacks.
Could see some restaurants, but cant comment about their food and facilities as they were closed and we passed them in the middle of the night.

Planning for another visit to Chidambaram on Shivarathri day. Again will be in a Tempo traveller as will be going with a group.
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 11:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive to Chidambaram tomorrow from BLR.
BLR - Salem - Attur - Virudhachalam - Neyveli - Kullanchavadi - Alapakkam (ECR Road) - Chidambaram - is this still the best route OR is the road via Bhuvanagiri good now?
Old 25th July 2019, 13:29   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to drive to Chidambaram tomorrow from BLR.
BLR - Salem - Attur - Virudhachalam - Neyveli - Kullanchavadi - Alapakkam (ECR Road) - Chidambaram - is this still the best route OR is the road via Bhuvanagiri good now?
IMHO instead of going all the way to Kullanchavadi and Alapakkam you can take the bhuvanagiri route. It saves time and the roads are acceptable. But they are 2 lanes only.

Banagalore - Salem - Attur - Virudhachalam - Neyveli - Vadalur - Bhuvanagiri - Chidambaram
Old 25th July 2019, 14:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
Banagalore - Salem - Attur - Virudhachalam - Neyveli - Vadalur - Bhuvanagiri - Chidambaram
Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram is avoidable unless you are into offroading

Quote:
BLR - Salem - Attur - Virudhachalam - Neyveli - Kullanchavadi - Alapakkam (ECR Road) - Chidambaram
Yes this is still the route to take. Worth the extra distance. You need patience on Kollidam-Chidambaram section due to 2-wheeler traffic if you are doing in day.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 15:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram is avoidable unless you are into offroading .
Is it still that bad? 3 months back one of my friends went through that route and said that the roads are of acceptable quality.
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:46   #68
BHPian

I plan to visit Thirukadaiyur & Tharangambadi in coming weeks.
GMaps shows the following route:
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam bypass-Chidambaram bypass-Sirkali bypass-Karuvi-Thirukadaiyur.

Can anybody share info on (latest) quality of the road sections in bold above?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I plan to visit Thirukadaiyur & Tharangambadi in coming weeks.
GMaps shows the following route:
Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam bypass-Chidambaram bypass-Sirkali bypass-Karuvi-Thirukadaiyur.

Can anybody share info on (latest) quality of the road sections in bold above?

Thanks in advance.
Vridachalam bypass - Chidambaram bypass is under construction. went in this route in March and this is my update in another thread.

"Took Chidambaram - Bhuvanagiri - Sethiyathope - Vridachalam - Asanur - Thirukoilur - Thiruvannamalai. Road is in good condition till sethiyathope particularly the stretch beween bhuvanagiri and Sethiyathope, it is lined with trees on both sides. Ofcourse speed breakers irritate you now and then. Around the sethiyathope it gets horrible and it continues till Vridachalam. The sethiyathope - vridachalam road is getting widened and its a mess. 26 Km took almost 1 hour and 15 mins."
venki.bala is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 16:42   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I plan to visit Thirukadaiyur & Tharangambadi in coming weeks
You might be better off taking
Thirukadaiyur- Vaitheeswaran Kovil - GKC - Jayamkondan - Virdudachalam Bypass - Attur - Salem - BLR
more details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4629047 (Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold)
Route via Sethiathope has been bad for many years and the above via GKC is much better and even the smaller roads around manalmedu - pandanallur were good to very good.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:08   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Vridachalam bypass - Chidambaram bypass is under construction. went in this route in March and this is my update in another thread.
Around the sethiyathope it gets horrible and it continues till Vridachalam. The sethiyathope - vridachalam road is getting widened and its a mess. 26 Km took almost 1 hour and 15 mins."
I traveled on this section last in May-2016 and it was horrible and under construction. Is it still horrible?
State highways in TN are usually better managed than this!

Quote:
You might be better off taking
Thirukadaiyur- Vaitheeswaran Kovil - GKC - Jayamkondan - Virdudachalam Bypass - Attur - Salem - BLR
more details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4629047 (Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold)
Route via Sethiathope has been bad for many years and the above via GKC is much better and even the smaller roads around manalmedu - pandanallur were good to very good.
Thanks Ravinder. This way I will need go via Anaikarai bridge which I was trying to avoid. Not ideal but doable still.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 15:51   #72
BHPian

Dear Tribe,
I am planning to visit Nataraj Temple in Chidambaram from Bangalore.
Will be visiting with my family.
We plan to start on Saturday morning and return Home by Sunday evening.
Following are the queries if any of you can please guide me with:

1. What would be best (&safest) route to travel. I will be starting from Electronic City Phase-1?

2. What are good options to stay?

3. Food Options on the way and in Chidambaram?

4. Any other Temples or notable places that can be covered?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Old 15th March 2022, 16:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Thillai Kali Amman temple
Thiruvetkalam temple
Sri Brahmapureeswarar Temple at Sirkazhi

Also, a handful of temples at Sivapuri (Thirunelvayil)
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 12:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear Tribe,
I am planning to visit Nataraj Temple in Chidambaram from Bangalore.
Will be visiting with my family.
We plan to start on Saturday morning and return Home by Sunday evening.
Following are the queries if any of you can please guide me with:

1. What would be best (&safest) route to travel. I will be starting from Electronic City Phase-1?

2. What are good options to stay?

3. Food Options on the way and in Chidambaram?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Since you have just a weekend - 2 days, 1 day will go in up & down travel itself. Half a day for going and another half a day for returning. Budget 7 to 8 hours one way travel including breaks.
But i would recommend you add another day to your itinerary, so that you can cover few more places, but will caution you its very hot everywhere. If not, here is the recommendation.

To answer your questions:
1) EC-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-ATtur-Veppur Koot Road-Chinna salem-Veppur-Vridhachalam by pass-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram. This is the best and shortest route available now.

2) Honestly, chidambaram doesn't have great choices of staying options. Majority are almost average or some are above average. Since its just a 1 night stay, you can pick from Goibibo or other travel sites depending on your budget. Ensure you have good car parking. I stayed in Natraj Residency (https://goo.gl/maps/Y76JtTwHDzjFk6S76) couple of years back which has decent closed car parking and also closer to temple. About 20 minutes walk.

3) Food options on the way are plenty till Salem. After salem, you have only 2 decent options near Attur - Hotel Ramas (comes on your left) and A2B (comes on to your right while going from Bangalore). Beyond that nothing till you reach Chidambaram. In Chidambaram, you can have food at Krishna vilas which is good.
https://g.page/hotel-sri-krishna-vilas?share

4) Saturday evening you can visit Chidambaram temple at leisure. Sunday morning you can visit Thillai kali temple. On the way back, if you want, you can enter Vridhachalam and see Viruthagereeswarar temple which is a short detour ( 2 kms) from NH. With soaring hot temperature and your short itinerary, i don't think you can cover a lot, unless you are okay to goto multiple temples.

BTW, don't forget to know/understand the architecture marvel of Chidambaram temple and the roof on top of main deity. Its amazing

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 16th March 2022 at 12:47.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 13:46   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Thillai Kali Amman temple
Thiruvetkalam temple
Sri Brahmapureeswarar Temple at Sirkazhi

Also, a handful of temples at Sivapuri (Thirunelvayil)
Thank you @adisan
They appear to be good with short extension from our destination.
Appreciate your timely advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Since you have just a weekend - 2 days, 1 day will go in up & down travel itself. Half a day for going and another half a day for returning. Budget 7 to 8 hours one way travel including breaks.
But i would recommend you add another day to your itinerary, so that you can cover few more places, but will caution you its very hot everywhere. If not, here is the recommendation.
Thank you @Ravi - what all could I cover, if I add one more day.
Yes, it is going to be extremely hot and humid, but no other choice.

Quote:
To answer your questions:
1) EC-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-ATtur-Veppur Koot Road-Chinna salem-Veppur-Vridhachalam by pass-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram. This is the best and shortest route available now.

2) Honestly, chidambaram doesn't have great choices of staying options. Majority are almost average or some are above average. Since its just a 1 night stay, you can pick from Goibibo or other travel sites depending on your budget. Ensure you have good car parking. I stayed in Natraj Residency (https://goo.gl/maps/Y76JtTwHDzjFk6S76) couple of years back which has decent closed car parking and also closer to temple. About 20 minutes walk.

3) Food options on the way are plenty till Salem. After salem, you have only 2 decent options near Attur - Hotel Ramas (comes on your left) and A2B (comes on to your right while going from Bangalore). Beyond that nothing till you reach Chidambaram. In Chidambaram, you can have food at Krishna vilas which is good.
https://g.page/hotel-sri-krishna-vilas?share
Thanks yet again, I will bookmark all these places - restuarant and hotel.
A colleague suggested me Hotel Sadhabishegam which is a bit far from Chidambaram but extremely good it seems. (GoIbibo Rating is 4.2/5) I can apparently also cover Vaitheeswaran Koil Amman sannathy which is close to this place of stay.

Quote:
4) Saturday evening you can visit Chidambaram temple at leisure. Sunday morning you can visit Thillai kali temple. On the way back, if you want, you can enter Vridhachalam and see Viruthagereeswarar temple which is a short detour ( 2 kms) from NH. With soaring hot temperature and your short itinerary, i don't think you can cover a lot, unless you are okay to goto multiple temples.

BTW, don't forget to know/understand the architecture marvel of Chidambaram temple and the roof on top of main deity. Its amazing

-Ravi
So I was thinking, drive down to Hotel Sadhabishegam, check-in, relax for some time, then evening visit Vaitheeswaran Koil. Next day early morning, take bath, skip breakfast and visit the Nataraja Temple and Thillai Kali amman temple, have lunch and then proceed to Bangalore. On the way, I can cover the 2 places that you suggest. What do you think ?

Let me know if the route will differ if I go to Vaitheeswaran directly.
Can I also add the suggestions provided by @adisan?
Also please do suggest what all could I add if we extend the stay by a day?
Sorry for barging you with so many questions.
BIL2_HGi10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks