Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2023, 10:48   #106
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chidambaram : Route Queries

Friends, I am planning a bike trip to Mayiladuthurai next month and wondering what the best route would be. I ride a Honda CB350 and don't intend to be riding at high speeds. I generally keep it under 100. I don't mind taking two lane roads, but I am not a fan of speed-breakers or small towns with lot of slow-moving traffic. So, I would rather take the four lane roads unless the alternate is significantly shorter. This being a solo ride, a high-end rest stop is not really a priority. And I will most probably be riding fully during the day. All in all, comfort and time are the biggest criteria.

With that in mind, is Salem - Attur - Veppur still the best choice? Or Tiruvannamalai route is worth considering?
Old 7th September 2023, 22:23   #107
BHPian

Ping!
Any inputs, friends? Would be nice to know how much of the route is a 4 lane road between Bangalore and Sethiyathopu.
Old 8th September 2023, 06:43   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Ping!
Any inputs, friends? Would be nice to know how much of the route is a 4 lane road between Bangalore and Sethiyathopu.
BLR - Salem - Attur - Vridhachalam - Chidambaram - Mayavaram should be best route AFAIK. Chidambaram - V.Kovil 6 lane is WIP so its a real pain in the ass, but the rest of it is good to v.good roads.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 08:00   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
BLR - Salem - Attur - Vridhachalam - Chidambaram - Mayavaram should be best route AFAIK. Chidambaram - V.Kovil 6 lane is WIP so its a real pain in the ass, but the rest of it is good to v.good roads.
My suggestion:

BLR - Salem - Attur - Veppur - Vridhachalam bypass - Jayamkondam- Pompuhar road - Mayavaram

(Route link)

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2023 at 13:17.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 10:46   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My suggestion:

BLR - Salem - Attur - Vridhachalam - Jayamkondam-Pompuhar road - Mayavaram

(Route link)
Thank you both for helping out. I guess I will go with ampere's suggestion after Virudhachalam.
Looks like no question about the route till Virudhachalam. Is it all four lane till that point?
Old 8th September 2023, 11:19   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
My suggestion:

BLR - Salem - Attur - Vridhachalam - Jayamkondam-Pompuhar road - Mayavaram

(Route link)
How good or bad is the Tiruvannamalai route? Having taken Salem route multiple times, I would be interested in trying something new and scenic if the roads are not too slow.
Old 8th September 2023, 13:06   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How good or bad is the Tiruvannamalai route? Having taken Salem route multiple times, I would be interested in trying something new and scenic if the roads are not too slow.
Its getting better for sure. But dont expect any good break options. And of course if you love two lanes you can try this option. But the flip side is you need to go via Ulunderpet and Vridhachalam towns. But for 400km distances I would prefer the 4-lanes and good break options.

Quote:
Thank you both for helping out. I guess I will go with ampere's suggestion after Virudhachalam.
Looks like no question about the route till Virudhachalam. Is it all four lane till that point?
  • Till Thalaivasal its 4-lane (Salem - Ulundurpet 4-lane). And from here the road till Vridhachalam bypass (via Veppur where you go below the Chennai-Trichy 4-lane) is superb wide 2-lane.
  • Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam : Good decent 2-lanes. You can keep good speeds.
  • Jayamkondam-Meensuruti (where you meet the Vikravandi-KMU 4-lane) : Good wide 2-lane
  • Meensuruti-Anakarai : 4-lane work on going. Expect diversions.
  • Anaikarai: You may have to wait to let incoming traffic. Depends on luck.
  • Once you the exit this road and head to Pompuhar road (SH22) its all nice country roads. SH22 is good and well tarred 2-lane all the way till Mayavaram.

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2023 at 18:31.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 14:16   #113
BHPian

Quote:
  • Till Thalaivasal its 4-lane (Salem - Ulundurpet 4-lane). And till the road till Vridhachalam bypass (via Veppur where you go below the Chennai-Trichy 4-lane) is superb wide 2-lane.
Thanks a lot for the detailed messages. Helps a lot. So, if my ride has little over 300KMs of 4 lane roads or similar, then I guess the remaining 50+ kms wouldn't really matter much. And I have been in that area few times, but way back and in a car. So, I kind of have some fond memories of the nice countryside driving. I am just hoping it doesn't rain much during the day.
Old 12th September 2023, 15:52   #114
BHPian

Quote:
  • Till Thalaivasal its 4-lane (Salem - Ulundurpet 4-lane). And from here the road till Vridhachalam bypass (via Veppur where you go below the Chennai-Trichy 4-lane) is superb wide 2-lane.
  • Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam : Good decent 2-lanes. You can keep good speeds.
  • Jayamkondam-Meensuruti (where you meet the Vikravandi-KMU 4-lane) : Good wide 2-lane
  • Meensuruti-Anakarai : 4-lane work on going. Expect diversions.
  • Anaikarai: You may have to wait to let incoming traffic. Depends on luck.
  • Once you the exit this road and head to Pompuhar road (SH22) its all nice country roads. SH22 is good and well tarred 2-lane all the way till Mayavaram.
I tried this route over the weekend and found the descriptions to be spot on. The widening work between Meensuruti and Anakarai was pretty bad, with work going on on both sides. And they still had the same narrow bridge problem that I ran into 10 years ago. Thank god, this time I was riding a bike, so I saved at least 20 minutes. All in all, very good roads and it took me 6 hours from Hosur to Mayiladudurai with one meal break of 30 minutes.

On the way back, I wanted to experiment a bit and also avoid the widening work I just mentioned - so I took the google-suggested village road via Manalmedu and Kattumannarkoil. Though the road was good, it was narrow at places (okay for a bike) and there were speed-breakers. But I suspect it took about the same time and also got to ride alongside the scenic Veeranam lake.

The other deviation I took is this. Sensing I will run into some traffic in Salem city and that I had some time at hand, I went for this. This was a pleasant surprise! The road was excellent and scenic with hardly any traffic. I captured some videos, which I will share it shortly once I upload it somewhere permanent. I wholeheartedly recommend this, especially for bikers. But not bad for cars as well since you get to avoid two tolls, Salem city traffic and the Thoppur ghat.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 15:55   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On the way back, I wanted to experiment a bit and also avoid the widening work I just mentioned - so I took the google-suggested village road via Manalmedu and Kattumannarkoil. Though the road was good, it was narrow at places (okay for a bike) and there were speed-breakers. But I suspect it took about the same time and also got to ride alongside the scenic Veeranam lake.

Its a great option with that huge bridge over Kollidam. But the roads around are narrow and bad. And looks like this situation has not changed. I tried this pre-pandemic times.

Quote:
The other deviation I took is this. Sensing I will run into some traffic in Salem city and that I had some time at hand, I went for this. This was a pleasant surprise! The road was excellent and scenic with hardly any traffic. I captured some videos, which I will share it shortly once I upload it somewhere permanent. I wholeheartedly recommend this, especially for bikers. But not bad for cars as well since you get to avoid two tolls, Salem city traffic and the Thoppur ghat.
The route via Harur/Karimangalam is a great option. Google suggested some thing around it. Many a times I just end up into Salem only to get into a good hotel for food! Else this is a good route to drive. By this route is also marked for a new expressway. I mean Jolarpet-Harur-Salem. Its a part of the Chenai-Salem expressway plan.

Last edited by ampere : 12th September 2023 at 15:58.
Old 29th December 2023, 22:37   #116

Quick update of route/road conditions on this route

I just came back from Sirkazhi to Bangalore today and took the below route

Sirkazhi to Bangalore on 29th Dec (with a stop over at Tirukoilur and TV Malai)

Sirkazhi - Chidambaram (By pass) - Bhuvanagiri - Seethiathoppu - Virudhachalam - Mangalampetai (By pass) - Pillur - Kilpalium - Tirukoilur - Tiruvannamalai - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore

Except for the road construction on ECR till we crossed Chidambaram exit, very smooth SH and NH all the way. The only pain was in crossing Hosur due to a flyover construction.
raghavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 09:42   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a trip to Chidambaram and V.Kovil in April. Any recent updates on the status of Chidambaram bypass - V.Kovil stretch.
Old 25th March 2024, 10:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Planning a trip to Chidambaram and V.Kovil in April. Any recent updates on the status of Chidambaram bypass - V.Kovil stretch.
Had been there two weeks back. The stretch is now 60:40 ready except for the portion around Kollidam area. I am seeing even this stretch to be ready shortly.
CArspeed is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed