Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 13:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?

deky, those are some great tips for tackling the troublesome Jaipur-Delhi stretch.
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:36   #32
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning Pune-Delhi towards the end of this month. Time is no constraint. If I want to spend 1-2 days visiting/sight-seeing some places on my way, what would be the recommended places?

Cheers
-a
Old 5th November 2013, 09:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Go via Bombay and NH8. That is fastest and best.
You may like to refer the attached file which is a detailed route plan I made for someone who is driving Bangalore to Delhi via Pune & Bombay.
Dear hvkumar, the file in the quoted post seems to be for Bombay Chickmanglur Mysore Bandipur Coorg Blr Bom.
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Delhi mid-December. If you do have a file for Bangalore to Delhi via Pune & Bombay, it would be great if you could share the same.
Old 5th November 2013, 22:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Dear hvkumar, the file in the quoted post seems to be for Bombay Chickmanglur Mysore Bandipur Coorg Blr Bom.
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Delhi mid-December. If you do have a file for Bangalore to Delhi via Pune & Bombay, it would be great if you could share the same.
Ketan-Spiti.xls

You can follow this "Ketan*.xls" file for Bangalore-Bombay

RajeevSharma-North.xls

You can follow this "Rajeev*.xls" file for Bombay-Delhi (has updated YEH route)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 14:44   #35
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning a similar trip, Just wanted to know if anyone has any idea which roads are blocked currently by the Gujjars in rajasthan. I can see that there might be problems on Jaipur - Agra.
Is NH8 Safe to travel or has anyone heard or experienced any trouble on it too?
I am planning to leave from Pune next Thursday Afternoon and reach Delhi by Saturday noon.

Thanks,
Ajit
Old 8th October 2018, 21:34   #36
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I am planning a trip from Pune -> Delhi -> Pune on 2nd Nov. I will be travelling with my Wife and two kids (10 & 4 Years) in my Ecosport (Manual Gears).

I am planning to complete my Pune -> Delhi trip in 2.5 days with two nights stay in hotels.

Please suggest me -
- Best and safe route
- Any recommendation on hotels for night stay as I am planning to leave at 4AM on 2nd Nov.
- Any recommendation on good veg restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

While returning, I may stay in cities like Udaipur for couple of days to visit them.

Thanks,
Old 9th October 2018, 14:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
Dear Friends,
I am planning a trip from Pune -> Delhi -> Pune on 2nd Nov. I will be travelling with my Wife and two kids (10 & 4 Years) in my Ecosport (Manual Gears).

I am planning to complete my Pune -> Delhi trip in 2.5 days with two nights stay in hotels.

Please suggest me -
- Best and safe route
- Any recommendation on hotels for night stay as I am planning to leave at 4AM on 2nd Nov.
- Any recommendation on good veg restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

While returning, I may stay in cities like Udaipur for couple of days to visit them.

Thanks,
Hi,
Keeping in mind that you are traveling with children , I will recommend to travel via NH8 (48). As it traverses through major cities, it opens up good options for lodging.
You can plan to do in day 1 Pune-Vadodara (via Thane-Vapi) and put up stay in Vadodara. On day 2 you can plan to do Vadodara - Beawar and then Beawar - Delhi on day 3.
As for food it should not be an issue, this being a bustling highway and passing through some tourist destinations you will have ample options.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 22:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Hi,
Keeping in mind that you are traveling with children , I will recommend to travel via NH8 (48). As it traverses through major cities, it opens up good options for lodging.
You can plan to do in day 1 Pune-Vadodara (via Thane-Vapi) and put up stay in Vadodara. On day 2 you can plan to do Vadodara - Beawar and then Beawar - Delhi on day 3.
As for food it should not be an issue, this being a bustling highway and passing through some tourist destinations you will have ample options.
Thanks for reply.

Can I opt for Vadodara -> Godhara -> Samalaji route for Udaipur or need to stay on NH8 (48) via Ahmedabad ?

Friends, I am also looking for options to stay in Vadodara and Beawar, please suggest.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
Thanks for reply.

Can I opt for Vadodara -> Godhara -> Samalaji route for Udaipur or need to stay on NH8 (48) via Ahmedabad ?

Friends, I am also looking for options to stay in Vadodara and Beawar, please suggest.
I am also traveling from Pune to Delhi on 2nd Nov starting around 4/5am like you. Though i have not planned which route to take but while coming to Pune last month, i came from Indore route, which i would not recommend you as you are with small kids and theres very limited options for food on that route.

So stick to NH8 via Vapi - Vadodara and stay there for a night. As for your further journey, i would suggest you to go via Godhara-Samalaji route. Fantastic roads it had back in Oct 2016 (hope its same now as well).

Since i dont remember where i stayed as i went hunting for Hotels when i reached my destinations, hence cant suggest.

By the way, i will be in my White XUV 5oo with LTD sticker at back just in case you spot me Will lookout for your Ecosport too if i took this route.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 15:16   #40
BHPian

Hi Manish, yes you can proceed with Godhara as going to Ahmedabad will increase your travel time.
As for lodging options, you have many options in Vadodara as per your budget. You have Sayaji, Fortune, Ginger etc. For Beawar I am not sure of options. Jaipur should be 3.5 hours from Beawar, if you stretch that much then you will have lot of options in Jaipur.
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 09:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I am also traveling from Pune to Delhi on 2nd Nov starting around 4/5am like you.

So stick to NH8 via Vapi - Vadodara and stay there for a night. As for your further journey, i would suggest you to go via Godhara-Samalaji route. Fantastic roads it had back in Oct 2016 (hope its same now as well).

By the way, i will be in my White XUV 5oo with LTD sticker at back just in case you spot me Will lookout for your Ecosport too if i took this route.
Thanks Nitin for the suggestions. I have Silver color Ecosport, new model and MH-14 passing. Sure, I will try to spot you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Hi Manish, yes you can proceed with Godhara as going to Ahmedabad will increase your travel time.

Jaipur should be 3.5 hours from Beawar, if you stretch that much then you will have lot of options in Jaipur.
Thanks for the suggestion distiller. I may not stretch to Jaipur and will try to book hotel in Beawar online based on reviews available.
Old 19th October 2018, 15:19   #42
BHPian

Hi,

This is my first post on this platform, although I have been avid follower and silent admirer of the Team-BHP community since 2009.

I am planning a to and fro road trip from Pune via Navi Mumabi to Chandigarh Via Delhi, with a friend (Mr.G) and my Pet Dog(Gaddafi). My leaves start from 3rd November and finish on 11th November, which is the timeline for this trip.

Initial plan was to cover it in 2 days, with Udaipur being a midpoint between Mumbai -Delhi Was looking for pet friendly hotels, called up a few and was told that they only allow cats and not dogs. So an alternate plan is chosen, to start late night from Mumbai and Pull it all the way till Delhi.

This is the first time I'm doing a 1500+ kms journey, as the longest I've done till now was Chennai - Pune which is around 1200Kms in a Punto back in 2014. Plan is to start from Pune after office for Mr. G's house in Kharghar, sleep for roughly 5 hours. Leave late night and Drive till Delhi where I Drop Mr. G, and spend the night at my Sister's place. Rest well and Next morning drive from Delhi To Chandigarh in her car with Gaddafi.

The Reasons for this road trip were:
1) It is falling way cheaper to drive down than to fly due to the Diwali season Surge.
2) My friend is planning switch his Honda Brio (in Mumbai) with his New Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic (in Delhi). So we save on the transportation charges of these cars from and to Mumabi.
3) I wish to leave Gaddafi(Doggo) with my parents as I will be going for a short term assignment to US soon.
4) OBVIOUSLY THIS WAS GOING TO BE MORE FUN!!

I have been reading about the routes off-late and the Plan as of now is as follows:

ONWARD JOURNEY:

2/10/2018
Departure: 1800Hrs (After Office)
Route: Pune>Lonavala>Khopoli>Kharghar (Mumbai Pune Expressway)
Distance : 130Kms
Vehicle: 2013 Mahindra Thar CRDe.
Approximated Time: 3 Hours

3/10/2018
Departure: 0200Hrs
Route: Kharghar>Thane>Valsad>Surat>Vadodara>Godhara(Via Halol)>Modasa>Udaipur>Ajmer>Jaipur>Delhi
Distance: Approx 1400Kms
Vehicle : 2012 Honda Brio VX MT
Approximated Time: 22Hours

4/10/2018
Departure: 1200Hrs
Route: Delhi>Karnal>Chandigarh
Distance: 250Kms
Vehicle: 2009 Fiat Punto Active 1.3 MJD
Approximated Time: 5 Hours

Wanted advise on whether it is possible to pull Mumbai -Delhi in a single day. Both me and my friend are enthusiastic drivers and will be sharing the wheel. The GQ route is chosen mainly due to the good highways, and as we were going to be stop for a 10 mins break for the dog's nature calls every 3 hours or so, we would need to maintain a healthy average speed.

Also need advise on which by-pass to take and where so as to avoid busy city/Town Traffic.

On the return journey another friend will join us, so we will mostly be doing Delhi - Mumbai via the same route in a single day.

RETURN JOURNEY:

Start Date: 10th November
Vehicle :
Chandigarh to Delhi(Approx 250Kms): 2009 Fiat Punto Active 1.3 MJD
Delhi to Mumbai (Approx 1400Kms) : 2018 Hyundai Creta 1.6(P) SX Auto.
Kharghar to Pune (Approx 130Kms) : 2013 Mahindra Thar CRDe

@Nitin and @Manish its good to see that I'll not be the only one on this route. Could you please share a route plan if you have finalized. Also what all precautions should be taken while on this trip and any essentials that we must carry.

Thanks.
damanbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:23   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
Hi,

This is my first post on this platform, although I have been avid follower and silent admirer of the Team-BHP community since 2009.
Hello Damanbir,
Hoping you had a wonderful trip. Do update us on the roads you took and the experience you had.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th November 2018 at 13:27.
Old 4th December 2018, 19:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by u99119 View Post
Hello Damanbir,
Hoping you had a wonderful trip. Do update us on the roads you took and the experience you had.
Hi U99119,

Pardon my delays in responding, the trip was fantastic and I ascertain that by roads is the best way to travel the country(If time permits i.e.).

I drove to and fro from Pune all the way to Chandigarh, and took different routes while going and returning.

Onward: Pune>Navi Mumbai>Thane>Vapi> Surat> Vadodara> Halol> Godhara>Modasa>Udaipur>Rajsamand>Deogarh> Beawar>Ajmer>Jaipur>Gurgaon> and Finally Chandigarh

Pune to Mumbai is obviously Flawless on the expressway.We avoided the city traffic by leaving Navi mumbai by 7 in the morning and the roads to Surat were a mixture of well layed 4/6 Lane highway continuing up til Vadodara.

The roads through Vadodara to Halol to Godhara till Modasa are again butter smooth 4 Lane highway, barring crossing through a few towns, where one encounters townish traffic in terms of cars, bikes and bullock carts.

The worst patch of the trip was from Modasa to Udaipur, where the lanes are not marked, and roads are full of undulations due to patchy repair and potholes and not to forget the Random speadbreakers every now and then. There is patch of about 80-90Kms where the roads are being widened through the ghats and have debris and heavy machinery working. We suffered a small accident here, due to careless two wheel who suddenly decided to cross through from the left to the median on the right. The truck suddenly turn right while avoiding to his the motorcyclist and ended sandwiching us between the divider. The left side was damaged and we could open the front passenger door for the rest of the trip. Even the udaipur bypass was in a pathetic state, and we ended up reaching the otherside through the city.

Post Udaipur right up to Rajsamand was a butter smooth 4/6 Lane highway.
Here we were faced by choice to follow 3 routes to Ajmer.
1. Though Bhilwara (from the right) longer by 30 KMs
2. Through Pali (From the left) Longer by 45 kms
3. Through Deogarh (Straight) Shortest

We asked locals and we told that the road straight through Deogarh is a Dual carriage way but is well layed, and because we were crossing during it at 12 Midnight, we would not encounter much traffic. We took this route, the roads were good and there was literally no traffic, but one has to be very careful here as there are sudden, unmarked and huge speed breakers which made driving at that time stressful. The saving grace was that we followed a local taxi which knew the road well.

Beawar to Ajmer is 6 lane highway but the lanes are unmarked and a bit strenuous late at night. Ajmer to Jaipur was again smooth sailing. Jaipur Gurgaon was again good and we didn't encounter much traffic.

From Gurgaon we took the new Peripheral highway to Kundli rather than going through Delhi, and boy was it a treat. Its a brand new 6 Lane highway which opened about a week ago, and we literally only saw 5 cars on it in the entire 80 kms till Kundli. The speed limit on this highway was a surprising 120KMPH and we actually covered 80Kms in 40 Mins.

Post Kundli its the usual diversions till Karnal and post which is easy sailing till Chandigarh.

Overall Summary :
Departure Mumbai: 7AM on 2/11/2018
Reached Jaipur : 3AM on 3/11/2018
We only managed Mumbai - Jaipur in a single day because we were forced to take a total of 6 hours in halts due to the dog, Else Delhi is manageable with 2 drivers.

On the return journey we chose the longer route(by atleast 100-130Kms),

Chandigarh>Gurgaon>Jaipur>Ajmer>Pali>Abu road> Ahmadabad>Vadodara>Surat>Vapi>Navi Mumbai

But boy was it the best decision, the highways were through out butter smooth from Ajmer to Mumbai with scarce traffic, some sections of the highway were lit, all lanes well marked and proper reflectors. Ahmadabad is by-passed straight on to the 100Kms of arrow straight expressway till Vadodara.

Only because of this route did we get the confidence to pull Delhi - Mumbai in a single day inspite of starting at 11 Am from Delhi.

This should be the most preferred route for those doing this part of the cross country.

Return Journey:
Departure from Delhi - 11AM on 10/11/2018
Arrived Mumbai - 9 AM on 11/11/2018

If anybody has any inquiries please feel free to ask.

Regards.
damanbir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 13:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
Hi U99119,

Onward: Pune>Navi Mumbai>Thane>Vapi> Surat> Vadodara> Halol> Godhara>Modasa>Udaipur>Rajsamand>Deogarh> Beawar>Ajmer>Jaipur>Gurgaon> and Finally Chandigarh

<snip>

Regards.

Thanks damanbir for the details.

We will be doing Pune - NCR - Dehradun and back next week.

I was pretty much decided on Pune - Vadodara - Godhra - Jaipur route and your inputs have now frozen the route for me.

The plan is to do Pune - NCR in 2 days.

Day 1: Pune - Udaipur.

Day 2: Udaipur - NCR.
Considering its a first trip with kids I want them to have a trip to remember and not get tired sitting in the car a lil too long.

While coming back, we plan to have more stops. A Day at Jaipur and another visiting the Statue of Unity.

Thanks much!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks