Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 07:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Ampere ji, need you advice on Petrol bunks in this route. I will be starting full tank from the Shell outlet in BG road, Bangalore. Where do you suggest topups (route is Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Munnar-Kodai-Valparai-Athirampilly-Kochi)

- Highway A2B/BP at Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri
- BP Salem 5 roads junction which is decent
- A Reliance bunk at Dharapuram by-pass (This is an old info. Not sure how it has changed in the recent times). We took a break there.
But since the bunks are no more associated to "Reliance", I am not sure, how reliable this one would be. However that seems to be the best bet on that route.
- I remember two bunks in Munnar (others may correct me if I am wrong). an IOC and a BP.
- Theni/Bodi sector : No Idea.

But definitely, good to carry cash. Card is very rarely accepted.
If you are going to Kodai, first, then I dont exactly know where the bunks are on the "Salem-Dindigul" section. Others should comment. HVK ?
Old 25th March 2011, 22:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post

BTW is it safe to be visiting TN, Kerala in the election week?
What is your travel schedule in April?
It would be good if you could avoid the election week in TN.
I heard that even now the traffic in highways is getting choked due to several road barriers set up for searching the vehicles.
It would only get worse with the election campaigning.
Old 26th March 2011, 05:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Highway A2B/BP at Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri
- BP Salem 5 roads junction which is decent
- A Reliance bunk at Dharapuram by-pass (This is an old info. Not sure how it has changed in the recent times). We took a break there.
But since the bunks are no more associated to "Reliance", I am not sure, how reliable this one would be. However that seems to be the best bet on that route.
- I remember two bunks in Munnar (others may correct me if I am wrong). an IOC and a BP.
- Theni/Bodi sector : No Idea.

But definitely, good to carry cash. Card is very rarely accepted.
If you are going to Kodai, first, then I dont exactly know where the bunks are on the "Salem-Dindigul" section. Others should comment. HVK ?
Refuel at Salem as suggested. You will also get a COCO near Krishnagiri.

You would not need to find a pump between Salem-Dindigul if you refuel at Salem.

Between Dindigul and Theni, there is only one major petrol pump (I only consider petrol pumps with digital display for refueling).

There is a good pump at Kodai also (I guess it was HP).

Fuel is no longer available in all the Reliance pumps en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
What is your travel schedule in April?
It would be good if you could avoid the election week in TN.
I heard that even now the traffic in highways is getting choked due to several road barriers set up for searching the vehicles.
It would only get worse with the election campaigning.
Checking was going on in early march but nothing major. In our case they were just asking the details and in one check post near Salem they checked the luggages also.

If you plan to stop over at Salem please carry your ID.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:38   #19
BHPian

We are all set to leave for our vacation this weekend. We'll be going to Kodai and then proceed to Munnar. We decided to skip Valparai/Pollachi because we thought summer wouldn't be the best time to visit these places. We'll stay for 3 nights in Kodai, 3 nights in Munnar.

The following are the routes we plan to take -

1. Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.

Q: From Google maps I find that from Dindigul I can continue on NH7 and go to Batlagundu via Kodai road. The other option seems to be to take NH45 (Dindigul-Theni road) at Dindigul to reach Batlagundu. Which of these is better?

2. Kodai - Theni - Bodinayakkanur - Munnar

Q: How much time should I factor in for this trip? Is there some place on the way I can have lunch just in case it gets late?

3. Munnar - Bangalore:

Munnar - Marayoor - Chinnar - Udumalpettu - Dharapuram - Perundurai - Bangalore

Q: Would be faster to reach Bangalore via the above route or to go back to NH7 via Bodi, Theni, etc.?
Old 7th April 2011, 17:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We are all set to leave for our vacation this weekend. We'll be going to Kodai and then proceed to Munnar. We decided to skip Valparai/Pollachi because we thought summer wouldn't be the best time to visit these places. We'll stay for 3 nights in Kodai, 3 nights in Munnar.

The following are the routes we plan to take -

1. Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai.

Q: From Google maps I find that from Dindigul I can continue on NH7 and go to Batlagundu via Kodai road. The other option seems to be to take NH45 (Dindigul-Theni road) at Dindigul to reach Batlagundu. Which of these is better?
No Need to go to Kodai road. Deviate from Dindigul itself on to NH45.

Quote:
2. Kodai - Theni - Bodinayakkanur - Munnar

Q: How much time should I factor in for this trip? Is there some place on the way I can have lunch just in case it gets late?
About 50km of ghat section to come down.
About 80km of ghat road from Bodi to Munnar

Total of about 180km. Assume about 5 hours of total time approx.

Quote:
3. Munnar - Bangalore:

Munnar - Marayoor - Chinnar - Udumalpettu - Dharapuram - Perundurai - Bangalore

Q: Would be faster to reach Bangalore via the above route or to go back to NH7 via Bodi, Theni, etc.?
Both should give approximately the same, though Dindigul option would have more of 4L. But since the destination back is Bangalore, it does not matter when you arrive, The drive from Munnar-Udumalpet is not be missed for the views its provides. Hence take Dharapuram option.
Old 14th April 2011, 20:08   #21
BHPian

Which are the good petrol bunks in Kodaikanal?
Alternatively which is the best bunk at the foot hill for filling up before the climb?
Thanks in advance.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to take the May 1st week off, and will be in Kodai from May 1 till 4th. I am yet to decide on a place of stay.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:32   #23
BHPian

Just back from our trip to Kodai, Munnar. Thanks to all for all the help.

@ Jidousha: There is a BP bunk in Kodai. However, I had filled up at a BP bunk in Vathlagundu and therefore didn't need to fill up at Kodai again. The bunk seemed decent - I got a mileage similar to what I get with Shell and also didn't notice any lack of pull, etc.

And a word of caution - although some of the Reliance pumps are open, they are not selling petrol. Don't waste your time checking with the attendant - I lost some time doing this near Namakkal. I think they will resume only when the government revises petrol prices after the elections.

Last edited by CBlazer : 18th April 2011 at 12:49.
Old 18th April 2011, 13:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just back from our trip to Kodai, Munnar. Thanks to all for all the help.

@ Jidousha: There is a BP bunk in Kodai. However, I had filled up at a BP bunk in Vathlagundu and therefore didn't need to fill up at Kodai again. The bunk seemed decent - I got a mileage similar to what I get with Shell and also didn't notice any lack of pull, etc.

And a word of caution - although some of the Reliance pumps are open, they are not selling petrol. Don't waste your time checking with the attendant - I lost some time doing this near Namakkal. I think they will resume only when the government revises petrol prices after the elections.
Dude, did you take the Palani-Kodai route? Heard this section is under repair. Am going to Kodai this weekend and am confused which route to take.

Also, kindly update the climate, rush in Kodai.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Dude, did you take the Palani-Kodai route? Heard this section is under repair. Am going to Kodai this weekend and am confused which route to take.

Also, kindly update the climate, rush in Kodai.
We did not take the Palani route since we were not sure if the Palani-Kodai road was open. We took the Dindigul - Vathlagundu-Kodai route.

It was quite pleasant in Kodai. Even rained a bit on the day we landed. Sunday was quite crowded, but nowhere as bad as Coonor/Ooty in summer. Do note we travelled just before the assembly elections - we were told the crowds would start coming in after the polls were completed.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We did not take the Palani route since we were not sure if the Palani-Kodai road was open. We took the Dindigul - Vathlagundu-Kodai route.

It was quite pleasant in Kodai. Even rained a bit on the day we landed. Sunday was quite crowded, but nowhere as bad as Coonor/Ooty in summer. Do note we travelled just before the assembly elections - we were told the crowds would start coming in after the polls were completed.
Thanks for the info. Yes, have heard that it's bit crowded now. Also wanted to know the state of Palani-Kodai road as I have heard it's in a pretty bad state. Anyways, waiting for some updates from others as I will be leaving this Sat. Thanks a lot.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:

CBlazer, Thanks for the information.
Could you please give the exact location of this BP bunk at Vathalagundu so that I can fill up before the climb.
Thanks in advance.
Waiting for your travelogue with loads of pictures and tips for future travelers.

Last edited by Jidousha : 21st April 2011 at 11:56.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:53   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please give the exact location of this BP bunk at Vathalagundu so that I can fill up before the climb.
Thanks in advance.
Waiting for your travelogue with loads of pictures and tips for future travelers.
When are you leaving? I will be leaving on Sat to Kodai. I shall update on that if you need to.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
When are you leaving? I will be leaving on Sat to Kodai. I shall update on that if you need to.
I am planning the weekend of April 30, it would be helpful to know reliable bunks to fill up petrol either before climbing the hills or at Kodai.
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd April 2011, 00:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The BP petrol pump is in Vathalagundu town on the right hand side as you are going towards Kodai. You wouldn't miss it because you have to pass this way if you are coming from Dindigul.
CBlazer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks