Team-BHP - Split Decision between Munnar and Goa for vacation.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Split Decision between Munnar and Goa for vacation. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/98314-split-decision-between-munnar-goa-vacation.html)

Guys,

Me and my brother-in-law are split between on one of the places for a weeklong vacation.

Option 1: Go by driving Bangalore to Goa
Option 2: Go by driving Bangalore to Munnar

Questions:
1. Which is the better place that offers better drivability (both in terms of road conditions and time taken)
2. If we have at least 5 days of vacation, which place has content to keep us busy for 5 days (travel included)
3. For all of us who are in end 20s, are there any enjoyable spots. Upfront I can think Goa should have some good discotheques pubs etc.
4. In terms of places to see around which location is good Munnar or Goa??

Finally, if you were in your end 20s, and were stuck like me, what option would have you chosen ???

Note I have visited niether of the places.

Hey Xing - My thoughts appended in your message, in Bold.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 2284464)
Questions:
1. Which is the better place that offers better drivability (both in terms of road conditions and time taken)

Roads to Munnar are very decent. I am not sure about Goa.

2. If we have at least 5 days of vacation, which place has content to keep us busy for 5 days (travel included) -

Munnar is good for 2nights, 3 days kind of an experience.

3. For all of us who are in end 20s, are there any enjoyable spots. Upfront I can think Goa should have some good discotheques pubs etc.

Well, Goa sure must be a good place for the pubs etc..But, i am only wondering how hot and humid Goa would be now. I can imagine sweat, heat, sultry weather all through the day at Goa. Munnar on the contrary will be pleasant weather

4. In terms of places to see around which location is good Munnar or Goa??
Both places are adequately covered through different travelogues.

Finally, if you were in your end 20s, and were stuck like me, what option would have you chosen ??? -

Well, i am almost twice your age here.:)Perhaps, if i were to think what i would have done when i was 20, i will go to Goa.

Note I have visited niether of the places.

Before you decide, do note the weather difference between the two places.
I think Goa would be pretty warm.

Hi
I had visited both the places. If you love driving Munnar is a excellent spot as it has one of the best scenic route. You might have to choose the route carefully to actually enjoy it. Other than that there is not many sight seeing spots. Munnar is filled with tea gardens and likes which will be great for relaxing or trekking or enjoying the silence.
Goa on the other hand is great for multitude of reasons. You will have a array of bikes available for driving, pubs, discos, beaches (if i remember right 27 of them), adventure sports like scuba diving, paragliding (seasonal i guess), variety of restaurants and too many spots for sight seeing. 5 days is perfect for Goa trip. But make sure you stay in a decent hotel might be expensive but will be worth it. My vote will be for Goa.
Cheers.

Both Goa and Munnar are absolutely beautiful, but fall on opposite ends of the vacation specturm. Goa is vibrant while Munnar is serene. Goa is a bar place while Munnar would be a whisky one. Goa is all about jumping with joy while Munnar is being mesmerized by the beautiful views. Goa is about shouting out loud and Munnar about smelling the air, watching dew on tea-leaves.

I cannot comment on the route as I stay in Bombay and sure there are experts on the forum who would be better off explaining you the nooks and corners of getting to the destination. You might want to check out the travelogues and they are pretty detailed.

Personally I love Goa. I have been there about 10 times and have been to Munnar only twice. That said, I still never let go of an excuse to go to Goa (whether it is with my wife, extended family or with friends). Attribute it again to the fact that I live in Bombay and Goa is just so convenient to travel to.

However, putting myself in your shoes where you have never been to either of the two places and these places being pretty much equidistant from Bangalore; I would have gone to Munnar taking into account the weather right now. Goa would be getting warm now while Munnar would be cool.

Wait I am not done yet. If I further think about the idea of going with my brother-in-law to either of the two places; I would probably opt for Goa (Munnar has a certain bit of additional romance to it. RED.)

I wonder if I helped you in any way.

For 5 days, just Munnar may not be enough. How about throwing in a couple of days to visit the backwaters of Kerala as well, that is, if the extra bit of driving is not an issue.
As for your questions:
1. No idea about driving conditions to Munnar, but drive to Goa is a mixed bag.
2. Content: Munnar may get a bit boring after a day or two.
3. Spots: Goa. Definitely.
4. Sightseeing: I think its a 50-50 split. But Goa being warm, you might prefer to chill out at your resort and then venture out once the Sun is starting to set.

If i were in your place, i would pick Goa. :thumbs up

Cheers
Amitoj

Munnar vs. Goa.

It's not a tough one. It has to be Munnar.

When one plans a holiday, one must take into account, the weather of the place. There is a reason why it is no longer 'season' in Goa. And that's because it's unbelievably hot. Take it from me. I'd been to Goa two weeks ago, and it's so hot that it almost comes in the way of your enjoyment!

It's warm in Bangalore as well, so it would be a nice change for you. Munnar will be pretty cool, this time of year. And since 5 days is a bit long, you must visit Thekkady, 'the spice village' as well!

About the roads, I'm not sure of the condition of the road to Munnar, but Goa isn't bad. It's pretty good, except in patches where it might resemble the moon.

Xingamazon. It's simple. If you don't mind roaming under hot and humid conditions, it's Goa, else Munnar. Munnar may not have some fancy sight seeing spots, but if you talk to the localites, you can find some amazing places to visit.

As Amitoj said, you can club Munnar with Kumarakom.
Route is very good.:

Chennai-Tirchy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar.
(4L till Tirhcy 4L conversion happening till Dindigul and then 2L till Theni
(All NH45)

You can also do Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Bodi-Munnar. (4L till Madurai NH45 and NH45B). 2L till Theni via NH49.

Guys thanks a lot for the overwhelming response for my question.

After lot of deliberation and discussion, we might be finalizing on the Goa. Not decided yet.

Only thing that is keeping us undecided is the weather as mentioned by many in the thread.

We are speaking to the people who have visited both the places. The driving to Goa seems to be good too. Since both the couples that is there is the plan is young, we were thiniking we can park Munnar when elders are around..
Do keep the views coming.
I am meanwhile planning to look into the Travellogues on Goa and Munnar.

But I am noticing the Goa travellogue are pretty straight forward where people have only visited, I was expected some adventure sport etc. But not able to see any such travelogs.

That was the only reason we were thinking of Goa. will research some more and get back.

Till then keep the views coming :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 2285400)
Guys thanks a lot for the overwhelming response for my question.

After lot of deliberation and discussion, we might be finalizing on the Goa. Not decided yet.

Only thing that is keeping us undecided is the weather as mentioned by many in the thread.

We are speaking to the people who have visited both the places. The driving to Goa seems to be good too. Since both the couples that is there is the plan is young, we were thiniking we can park Munnar when elders are around..
Do keep the views coming.
I am meanwhile planning to look into the Travellogues on Goa and Munnar.

But I am noticing the Goa travellogue are pretty straight forward where people have only visited, I was expected some adventure sport etc. But not able to see any such travelogs.

That was the only reason we were thinking of Goa. will research some more and get back.

Till then keep the views coming :)

As already suggested to you by many experienced BHPians, Munnar & Goa are two very different place, each having its own charm and beauty.

Since you asked for suggestions - I would have visited Goa if in your place.

Regarding adventure sports etc, Goa will give you plenty of opportunities in this regard. Simple example, Goa has many many beaches with all having its own beauty/characteristics etc.

If you are visiting Calangute, you`ll get one of the most fantastic beaches with lots and lots of adventure sports - paraschute ride, all sorts of water motor sports (sry don't remember the exact terms, those yamaha water bikes I mean, let me know if you want I can post the pics for you :) ), dolphin spotting - this would be a fantastic experience as one would spot dolphin in their natural habitat rather in captivity.

And yes, this is more or less summer time, still one can enjoy ( I am saying this from my own experience, and have been to goa during summer/winter/monsoon) provided, one goes to beach till 9am and after 5.30pm, in between these times its hot and humid. Get yourself a very good hotel with ac room, swimming pools etc and one can enjoy Goa even in April. And btw, one will enjoy the sunset at the Shacks more in summer than in winter :D

Goa is a bad idea now - you will be indoors all day, and will be spending out probably for 3 hours in the morning (if you are a 8 AM riser), and for 5 - 7 hours in the evening. Other than the benefits it brings by being a UT, you dont have much to do indoors the whole day.

My advice - drive to Munnar / Kodai / Ooty (either or combined), and go to Goa in September / October or January / February - you will beat the peak season rates and yet not get a tan like Halle Berry :D

And ya - the drive to Goa is going take a chunk of your time...