Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 10:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Kollur route

Friends - Reviving this thread to take your inputs.
Its just been a month and here I am again going from Hyderabad to Manipal but this time via Kollur. The big relief is that the kidos are not accompanying so it should be more relaxing. Thanks to my MIL and the kidos of the extended family who will be here for their vacation..

It has been a long time since I paid a visit to Goddess Mookambika and my better half has never been there. I plan to leave Hyd at 4AM on 25th Apr and reach Wild Woods Spa and Resorts the same day (before sunset), visit Kollur temple on 26th sometime before lunch and reach Manipal in the evening. I guess this resort is close to Shiroor Village on the NH17.

My query here is to seek your inputs on the fastest, easiest and smoothest possible route (sorry for being so ideal). I am ok to travel a few kms more if needed as I just have 25th for my travel (can start 24th night as well if needed but I guess I will have to go via Devanahalli, Doddballapur, Tumkur to be safe?). I have been until Harihar via Gangawathi and Hospet (my usual route to Manipal) and it is a fairly in a good shape. I suspect anything could have gone wrong in the last month. Google suggests the following ( I am guessing you will suggest me to avoid the BLUE route and take my usual route until Harihar)

Your suggestions pls if anything better?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad to Kollur route-capture.jpg  

Old 17th April 2015, 10:55   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
I have been until Harihar via Gangawathi and Hospet (my usual route to Manipal) and it is a fairly in a good shape. I suspect anything could have gone wrong in the last month. Google suggests the following ( I am guessing you will suggest me to avoid the BLUE route and take my usual route until Harihar)

Your suggestions pls if anything better?
I would say :

Harihar-Honnalli-Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara-Nagara-Kollur

Here is the route in Google:
Route Link

Ayannur (on NH206) to Kollur is good roads pretty much all the way
Old 17th April 2015, 14:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say :

Harihar-Honnalli-Ayannur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara-Nagara-Kollur

Here is the route in Google:
Route Link

Ayannur (on NH206) to Kollur is good roads pretty much all the way
Ampere, as always you have been the first one to respond mate.

Guys - have you noticed the names of Gulbarga and Bijapur changed on Google maps? I might be late this news but just checking.
Old 29th April 2015, 20:41   #19
BHPian

Hello All

This is just an update on the route that I took from Hyderabad to Kollur (Mookambika).

Leg 1 (Hyd to Budugumpa Cross - This is where you meet NH13 after Gangavathi)

Hyd (Financial District) -> Mahboob Ngr -> Raichur -> Sindhanur -> Gangavathi -> Budugumpa Cross
Distance - Circa 360kms
Travel time - 6:15 hrs (with 2 X 20 mins break)

Comments:
Road conditions are good for a 70kmph avg speed - mindful of speed breakers albeit its markers.

Leg 2
Budugumpa Cross to Hubli

Budugumpa Cross -> Ginigera -> Koppal -> Gadag -> Hubli

Distance - Circa 145kms
Travel time - 2:30 hrs (No breaks)

Comments:
Road until Ginigera (where you meet NH63) was non-existent. (Road Construction in progress)
I suggest you take proceed on to NH13 (take a left at Budugumpa Cross) and join NH63 at the next toll.
Ginigera till Koppal - ok roads (uneven and broken in certain places). You could safely do a constant 70-80 kmph
Koppal to Gadag - Excellent
Gadag to Hubli - Excellent

Leg 3
Hubli to Shiroor (NH63)

Hubli -> Ankola -> Honnavara -> Bhatkal -> Shiroor
Distance: Circa 250 kms
Travel time - 4:45 hrs (30 min break)

Comments:
Road conditions are excellent all the way to Ankola post which the pace slows down due to construction activity (expansion) on NH17 - not bad though.

I headed to Manipal after visiting the goddess the next day.

Return Journey

Udupi -> Manipal -> Agumbe -> Shimoga -> Harihar -> Harapanahalli -> Hospet - Gangawathi - Sindhanur -> Raichur -> Mahboob Nagar -> Hyderabad

Bad road sections are only between Shimoga and Harihar, otherwise you can keep up good pace.
Ashwinbr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 21:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
Comments:
Road conditions are excellent all the way to Ankola post which the pace slows down due to construction activity (expansion) on NH17 - not bad though.

NHDP site states that NH17 expansion is underway. So whats the extent of these expansions? Have they started all along the NH17?
Old 4th June 2015, 07:18   #21
BHPian

Kollur To hyderabad via Kollur > Shivamogga > Chitradurga > Ballari > Ananth...

Hyderabad to Kollur route-imageuploadedbyteambhp1433382485.465636.jpg

Any update on this road condition between Kollur and Ballari would help.

Last edited by Roshan_v_k : 4th June 2015 at 07:21.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:27   #22
BHPian

Re: Kollur To hyderabad via Kollur > Shivamogga > Chitradurga > Ballari > Ananth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Any update on this road condition between Kollur and Ballari would help.
Ballari to Challakere is a very good state highway. Chitradura-Shimoga is a decent road with some road work happening in the initial stretches. Good roads from Shimoga to Kollur via Ripponpet. The final stretch (Nagara-Kollur) is better to be avoided after dark as it is a desolate forest area. Alternate route is Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Kollur. If you would like to do this in 2 days, then you can stay at Shimoga for the night and proceed to Kollur the next day.
Landkruzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 04:57   #23
BHPian

Re: Kollur To hyderabad via Kollur > Shivamogga > Chitradurga > Ballari > Ananth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Ballari to Challakere is a very good state highway. Chitradura-Shimoga is a decent road with some road work happening in the initial stretches. Good roads from Shimoga to Kollur via Ripponpet. The final stretch (Nagara-Kollur) is better to be avoided after dark as it is a desolate forest area. Alternate route is Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Kollur. If you would like to do this in 2 days, then you can stay at Shimoga for the night and proceed to Kollur the next day.
Hello Landkruzer, Thanks for the Update, Yes I took Shivamogga > Chitradurga > Ballari > Gooty > Hyderabad. The Road was decent enough between "Shivamogga > Chitradurga > Ballari" only thing was the rough top in some places. And on the reaching the Andhra border the approach road to most of the bridge's were bad. Other than that all was ok.

Thanks again !
Roshan
Old 25th December 2017, 13:47   #24

Kollur - Hyderabad return trip..

I visited Kollur temple on 18th Dec. Stayed at mahalakshmi residency which is a very good selection for staying.

On return to Hyderabad I started around 11:30 am at kollur and came back home around 2am with lunch and dinner breaks.

Kolluru - Nittur - Hosanagara - Ripponpet - Harnahalli - Honnali - Harihar - Harpanahalli - Kudligi - Bellary - Kurnool - Hyderabad.

Road condition: Kollur - Nittur - Hosanagara - Ripponpet - Harnahalli - Honnali - Harihar is in good condition. Kollur to Ripponpet will take time as go through forest all the way and mostly ghat road.
Harihar - Harpanahalli - average to bad as lot of pot holes in between.
Harpanahalli - Kudligi - Average with patches
Kudligi to Bellary through 150A highway (overall good road with 6km rough to bad road).
Bellary to Kurnool - Road widening is going on from AP border to Kodumuru. Took 3 hours as have to go slow near bridges as work is going on.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ko...d17.385044!3e0

Last edited by manson : 25th December 2017 at 14:47. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
hyderabadi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed