Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 11:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad to Kollur route

Hi,

What is the reccomended route to Kollur/Kundapura from Hyderabad.I am wondering if its better going via Bangalore considering the good road conditions between Hyd & Blr and between BLR & Mlore.

Thanx
Old 4th April 2011, 12:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Kollur route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hi,

What is the reccomended route to Kollur/Kundapura from Hyderabad.I am wondering if its better going via Bangalore considering the good road conditions between Hyd & Blr and between BLR & Mlore.

Thanx
Option 1: Hyderabad - Raichur - Gangawati -Hubli - Karwar -Kondapura
Option 2: Hyderabad - Raichur - Gangawati - Hospet - Harihar - Shimoga - Kundapura

Headed to the Mookambika temple is it ?
Old 4th April 2011, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanx,yes Mookambika temple is a part of the itinerary,and from there need to drive on Kerala.

I think I will opt for the Hubli route,I did read your travelogue to Manipal,but it looked like one hell of a long drive,not sure if we can do it as we have a restless little one now a days with us
Old 5th April 2011, 08:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

The best route seems to be : Hyd-Hubli via NH9/NH218 (Homnabad/Bijapur).

Hubli-Kollur via NH63/NH17.

Distance is much longer, but you have good break points. You can also have a mini holiday at Yellapur! (Banana County)
Old 5th April 2011, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with ampere. The NH63-NH17 option via Hubli & Honavar should be the best bet.

On the option suggested by MileCruncher, 2 good things is:
- Take the alternative route from Honnali to Simoga to avoid the bad sections, and
- I heard that now the Tirthahalli-Nagara-Kollur road is repaired and back to its good condition - is that correct?
Old 5th April 2011, 11:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
- I heard that now the Tirthahalli-Nagara-Kollur road is repaired and back to its good condition - is that correct?
Even I would like to know that! Some time, even I plan to be there!
I think I remember a member, had taken that route recently, but I dont remember, the condition.

Last edited by ampere : 5th April 2011 at 12:04.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanx

Great..Heading to Mookambika on the 25th and then there to Kochi...this information has come at a good time...The petrol price is killing though for the drive..
Old 6th December 2012, 23:23   #8
BHPian

Please Help me with route from Kollur to Hampi.

Traveling on the 22nd December on below route; Hyderabad >Humnabad > Gulbarga > Bijapur > Hubli >Yellapur > Honavar > Muredeshwar> Kollur.

Read there are daccoits in Humnaad > Gulbarga route, could somebody shed some information as to if it is safe to travel this route.
Old 7th December 2012, 06:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank
Please Help me with route from Kollur to Hampi.

Traveling on the 22nd December on below route; Hyderabad >Humnabad > Gulbarga > Bijapur > Hubli >Yellapur > Honavar > Muredeshwar> Kollur.

Read there are daccoits in Humnaad > Gulbarga route, could somebody shed some information as to if it is safe to travel this route.
Route is fine.No problems whatsoever.There is a bridge construction happening before bijapur ao you would lose a bit of time there.Bijapur-Hubli is also just about ok.Budget for a 10hour drive to Hubli.NH17 is in bad shape between Ankola and Kundapur,so all in all be ready for a long drive if you intend to do it in one shot.Else day 1 do hyd hubli and day two to kollur.We chose to go via bangalore outskirts as roads were excellent as opposed to all the other routes.What we lost in distance we gained on time and ease of driving.

No dacoit problems on your intended route afaik.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 08:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Route is fine.No problems whatsoever.There is a bridge construction happening before bijapur ao you would lose a bit of time there.Bijapur-Hubli is also just about ok.Budget for a 10hour drive to Hubli.NH17 is in bad shape between Ankola and Kundapur,so all in all be ready for a long drive if you intend to do it in one shot.Else day 1 do hyd hubli and day two to kollur.We chose to go via bangalore outskirts as roads were excellent as opposed to all the other routes.What we lost in distance we gained on time and ease of driving.

No dacoit problems on your intended route afaik.
Would you have some details on how to get to HAMPI from KOLLUR. Which route to take from Mookambika.

What would be the distance of the bad patch that you have indicated?

I would love to reach Muradeshwar, hence will try to start very early or else Yellapur.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:00   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Would you have some details on how to get to HAMPI from KOLLUR. Which route to take from Mookambika.
There are two different options:

1. Go via Shimoga/Chitradurga from Kollur.
2. Go via NH17 to Ankola and then via Yellapur/Hubli.

Both are in the range of about 400km.

I would prefer the Ankola option (also in congruence with your post where you mention that you want to goto Yellapur)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 12:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post

What would be the distance of the bad patch that you have indicated?

I would love to reach Muradeshwar, hence will try to start very early or else Yellapur.
From Kollur,I would go with Ampere's first suggestion of going via Chitradurga.The whole of NH17 from Honnavar onwards is bad,hasnt been relaid after the rains(its the same story every year and heavy traffic compounds the problem).Yellapur is very bad on stay facilities,Murudeshwar would be a safer bet.If you leave around 3-4am,you should be at Kundapur by late evening.Kollur again has very limited stay options(which I am sure you know,nevertheless),so plan accordingly.You can target reaching Kamat-Honnavar for the night as well.http://www.kamatgroupindia.com/contactus.htm
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 18:08   #13
joe
BHPian

Hi

We are driving to Kundapur next week and will be spending the night at Hospet and then from there start for Kundapur the next day. How is the route below?

Hyd - Gadwal - Raichur - Hospet - Harihar - Honnali - Siddapura.

Is there a better route?
Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 18:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi

We are driving to Kundapur next week and will be spending the night at Hospet and then from there start for Kundapur the next day. How is the route below?

Is there a better route?
Thanks

Hyderabad-Jadcherla-Mahbubnagar-Raichur is a better option.

Mahbubnagar-Raichur is good roads but for speedbreakers near villages.

Raichur-Gangawathi-Budguppacross-Hospet is a better option than by going
through Kamlapur.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 21:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Hyderabad-Jadcherla-Mahbubnagar-Raichur is a better option.

Mahbubnagar-Raichur is good roads but for speedbreakers near villages.

Raichur-Gangawathi-Budguppacross-Hospet is a better option than by going
through Kamlapur.
Agree to gajadonga here. Travelled last month in this route till Shimoga. Rather than taking diversion from NH7 at Jadcherla, travel further to Bhutpur and divert to Mahbubnagar. This way you can bypass the Mahbubnagar town and get to Raichur Road. See this map for details.

http://goo.gl/maps/cx28m

Also note that beyond Gangawathi till Shimoga we couldn't find many options for food. Otherwise you would have to get into Hospet town, which will consume a lot of time because of bad roads and heavy traffic. NH-13/63 around Hospet has bad roads and construction work going on with lot of traffic so we were crawling till the diversion towards Harpanahalli/Harihar.
rknair is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed