Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 13:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Cochin - Wayanad

Guys,

Am planning a trip to Wayanad during the last week of April. Can anyone suggest the
1. Best route
2. List of restaurants on the way
3. The ideal time to start the journey
4. Road condition

Thanks in advance

Naveen
Old 4th April 2011, 14:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cochin - Wayanad

Cochin-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-NH17-Edappal-Kozhikode-Vyhtiri-Thamarasserry-Kalpetta.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Cochin-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-NH17-Edappal-Kozhikode-Vyhtiri-Thamarasserry-Kalpetta.
There is a small mix up in the sequence above : it is Kozhikkode-Tamarassery-Vythiri-Kalpetta

I dont think you need to touch Kozhikkode - am not sure about the route from Thrissur to Kozhikkode, but if you touch Ramanattukara, you can take the Kozhikkode by-pass which will hit NH212 and take right there (Wayanad/ Tamarassery road well marked there)
Old 5th April 2011, 14:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys. Any good spot to grab a bite on the way, after thrissur?
Old 5th April 2011, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Plenty of restaurants on the Thrissur-Kunnamkulam stretch,especially near Amala Cancer Hospital.

IIRC,there is also a good Motel Aaram near the Kuttipuram bridge over the bharatapuzha river.This one is on the NH17.

There is also the high-end Lulu Convention & Hotel just off the Thrissur-Kunnamkulam road after thrissur
Old 5th April 2011, 16:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came back from Cochin today - to wayanad.

There are many options. The best two would be;

Route 2: Cochin-Edapally-Kodungaloor-Chavakkad-Ponnani-Kuttipuram-Kozikode(by pass)-Thamaraserry-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Bathery

The good thing about this route is the stretch from Kodungaloor to Ponnani has little traffic and the roads are real good, but the bad thing is its about 25 kms more than the route 2.

Route 2: Cochin- Thrissur-Kecheri(take a right)-Perimbilavu-Kozikode(by pass)-Thamaraserry-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Bathery

This route is about 25-30 kms shorter than the Route 1, but then, traffic is more, and time consuming.

Please note that in regular Thrissur - Calicut route you will pass tru Kunnamkulam. but then, take a right at Kecheri and you save 25kms, and avoid Kunnamkulam traffic. Road is decent and traffic is sparse.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:30   #7
BHPian

Cochin-Edapally-Kodungaloor-Chavakkad-Ponnani-Kuttipuram-Kottakkal-Manjeri - Areacode - Thamarasseri - Vythiri-Kalpetta-Bathery.

Shortest,Best,Less traffic route.
Old 6th April 2011, 07:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Route 2: Cochin- Thrissur-Kecheri(take a right)-Perimbilavu-Kozikode(by pass)-Thamaraserry-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Bathery

This route is about 25-30 kms shorter than the Route 1, but then, traffic is more, and time consuming.

Please note that in regular Thrissur - Calicut route you will pass tru Kunnamkulam. but then, take a right at Kecheri and you save 25kms, and avoid Kunnamkulam traffic. Road is decent and traffic is sparse.
Just a small correction here. Taking a right turn at Kecheri does not save 25kms. The traffic is less, but what I noticed in my last visit (in Oct 2010) is that the time saved is quite minimal.

My recommendation (for route 2) is to stick to the regular route via Kunnamkulam. A bit of traffic maybe there in Kunnamkulam town, but its not massive.
Old 6th April 2011, 08:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Route 2: Cochin-Edapally-Kodungaloor-Chavakkad-Ponnani-Kuttipuram-Kozikode(by pass)-Thamaraserry-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Bathery
Spot on. By far, this is the best route. Just that you need to keep a tab on the diversions and the narrow lanes of Kodungalooor and Chavakkad: the bikers have their own mind, especially during the evenings . If you are planning to drive down over-night, this route is simply the best until Edapal/Kuttipuram: from there on the maniacal KSRTCs and private buses rule the highway.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2011, 08:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

The tips on the routes via Kecheri & Areekode are very useful.
Are there good signages at the point where you have to turn off to Kecheri?
I find the Edapalli-Kodungallur sector very narrow and difficult to drive except at nights.
The signages at Kodungallur town are easy to miss, and despite knowing the NH17 well, during a night drive, I went off course and ended up going via Irinjakuda & Trissur to Kunnamkulam?
I just noticed from the Google Maps that NH17 doe snot touch Kunnamkulam any more - when did this alignment change? Or is it a mistake? The NH17 I know goes from Chavakkad to Kunnamkulam town, turns left at the bazaar (whereas the road straight continues to Perumpilavu/Edappal) and goes via Ponnani to rejoin the road coming from Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram at Edapal. If you see GM, I was aghast to see not only a direct road from Chavakkad to Ponnani avoiding Kunnamkulam, but also 2 (TWO) branches of NH17 joining the road going north from Kunnamkulam at BOTH Edapal and before Kuttipuram!!!
Old 6th April 2011, 09:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I find the Edapalli-Kodungallur sector very narrow and difficult to drive except at nights.
The signages at Kodungallur town are easy to miss, and despite knowing the NH17 well, during a night drive, I went off course and ended up going via Irinjakuda & Trissur to Kunnamkulam?
Agree with you HVK. Edapalli-Kodungallur route have less traffic, but the roads are narrow, and very easy to get lost with a wrong turn. And always need to watchout for the buses turning through blind corners. And what you mentioned (ended up going via Irinjalakuda/Thrissur) is a common occurrence

Quote:
I don’t remember seeing any signboards in Kecheri. That used to my usual route whenever I travel from Thrissur to Edapal (my maternal home). But from a few trips I made last year, noticed that going straight via Kunnamkulam is not that stressful. The roads are better now, negotiating Kunnamkulam is like any other small town.

Quote:
I just noticed from the Google Maps that NH17 doe snot touch Kunnamkulam any more - when did this alignment change? Or is it a mistake? The NH17 I know goes from Chavakkad to Kunnamkulam town, turns left at the bazaar (whereas the road straight continues to Perumpilavu/Edappal) and goes via Ponnani to rejoin the road coming from Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram at Edapal. If you see GM, I was aghast to see not only a direct road from Chavakkad to Ponnani avoiding Kunnamkulam, but also 2 (TWO) branches of NH17 joining the road going north from Kunnamkulam at BOTH Edapal and before Kuttipuram!!!
My understanding is that it does touch Kunnamkulam (I maybe wrong here). Checked in google maps (with start as Ernakulam, Kerala, India, and end as Calicut, Kerala, India), and the route shown is through Kunnamkulam
Old 6th April 2011, 11:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Theres hardly any signages at this point,and IMO its not a good idea for out of town travellers to be going on this route as getting directions can be pretty stressful.The Kecheri-Perumpilavu route is good but is through country roads which are more often than not in good conditions,but no signages absolutely.Also the Manjeri-Areecode route is also susceptible to bad road conditions,Ramanattukara-Wayanad road is a better bet IMHO.

Quote:
GM as you best know has messed it up here,the NH17 still very much goes through Kunnamkulam town.Like Vb-San says,its easier going via Kunnamkulam-Thrissur.The only confusion point could be how to get onto NH47 from NH17 at Thrissur.But the signages are pretty straight forward there.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Theres hardly any signages at this point,and IMO its not a good idea for out of town travellers to be going on this route as getting directions can be pretty stressful.The Kecheri-Perumpilavu route is good but is through country roads which are more often than not in good conditions,but no signages absolutely.Also the Manjeri-Areecode route is also susceptible to bad road conditions,Ramanattukara-Wayanad road is a better bet IMHO.
I just came back tru this route yesterday. There is a sign board at Kecheri to turn right. And - the road is in good condition considering road from Edappal to Kuttipuram about 6 months back. Is it patched now?. Or else it was a horror. Also, it saves a good 25 kms.

Also, I think you got it wrong regarding the Manjeri- Areacode route. Except for being a bit narrow, the road is 'excellent'. [/quote]

Quote:
GM as you best know has messed it up here,the NH17 still very much goes through Kunnamkulam town.Like Vb-San says,its easier going via Kunnamkulam-Thrissur.The only confusion point could be how to get onto NH47 from NH17 at Thrissur.But the signages are pretty straight forward there.
I dont think so. The real NH 17, our 'Kadalora Highway(Coastal Highway)' pass through Kuttipuram - Ponnani -Chavakkad - Kodungalloor. There are sign boards even along the narrow roads from Kuttipuram to Ponnani. You just need to follow the NH-17 sign boards.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:05   #14
BHPian

Hi Naveen,
I suggest you take Cochin- Thrissur-Kecheri(take a right)-Perimbilavu-Kozikode(by pass)-Thamaraserry-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Bathery.

The newly laid 4 lane between Anagamaly & Thrissur is a pleasure to drive with most of the overbridges complete now. I used to do Cochin - Thrissur in 70-80 mins depending on traffic.

I did a Thirunelly trip during March and took this route upto Kalpetta. Roads in the Ghat area after Thamarassery was bad at that time. You can expect moderate to heavy traffic between Thrissur & Calicut depending on the time of the day. I started at the worst possible time (3pm on a saturday) and reached Kalpetta by 10 PM. Driving between Thrissur and Calicut is painful due to the two lane roads and menacing private buses.

It is better to start early in the morning (say 5 or 5 30 AM) from Cochin.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:18   #15
BHPian

Actually there is a better road to take when you come from Kochi towards Calicut/Wayanad. The best part is, it is not a road!
Let me explain -
You may want to take the coastal route to Ponnani, you will have sea to the left (West) right through. So the road is - Kochi - Kodungallur - Chavakad - Ponnani. Then once you reach Ponnani, you take the Ferry to cross over. These are large barges that can easily take 20~30 cars, it is an experience in itself and the Ferry takes 30 minutes to take you to the other side. This will save you around 45kms, and once you are on the other side of the Ponnani Ferry, you drive towards Mangalam town - Thirur Town and you rejoin the highway to Calicut at Kozhichena. The road is good, try it sometime!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks