Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 12:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Unfinished Journey- Trip to Kailash Mansarovar via the MEA Route

Best luck Deky. By this time you already will be in the thick of your pilgrimage. Shall eagerly wait for the awe-inspiring pictures and detailed travelogue.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thank you folks.The three days in Delhi will be coming to an end tonight as early tomorrow morning we start the journey.

We have been having briefings after briefings and medicals after medicals so far. We started as a group of 46 but after 2 being rejected we there will be 44 leaving tomorrow.

More updates later if and when I find net connectivity!!

regards
Old 18th July 2011, 18:06   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Best of luck and waiting for one hell of a travelogue
Old 27th July 2011, 16:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Reached Taklakot (tibet) this morning after crossing Lipulekh pass. We started from Nabidhang (India ) at 0200 hrs (am) and it was drizzling and the temperatures were below zero for most of the time. Crossed Lipu at around 0730 hrs.

Finally got to see some sunshine aftre 10 days of rain while in India
deky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 16:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Reached Taklakot (tibet) this morning after crossing Lipulekh pass. We started from Nabidhang (India ) at 0200 hrs (am) and it was drizzling and the temperatures were below zero for most of the time. Crossed Lipu at around 0730 hrs.

Finally got to see some sunshine aftre 10 days of rain while in India
Good to hear from you, must have been a tough walk these last few days.
Surprised that you managed to get data connectivity in Taklakot!
Old 28th July 2011, 09:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Good to hear from you, must have been a tough walk these last few days.
Surprised that you managed to get data connectivity in Taklakot!
I am using an internet cafe to communicate.

Yes the walk was pretty tough. It got a bit more tough as I have not used either a porter or a pony so far. But will be using a porter while doing the Kailash Parikrama.

The Chinese have made a road ( unmettaled, but motorable) right up to Lipulekh, so coming down from Lipulekh was pretty easy. Climbing up from the Indian side was really tough mainly because it was night plus it was drizzling.

Today morning our group woke up to a bad news. A gentleman from our group has been taken seriously ill. We our suspecting that he is suffering from acute pulmonary oedema. Also he has gone totally pale so might be pneumonia also.

Luckily we have few doctors plus enough first aid material with us so first aid has been provided and he has been shifted to the hospital.

This incident clearly shows the affects of high altitude on a persons body.

I just hope he gets better soon.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, it's good to find you enjoying yourself on the trek, and to get an on-the-move feedback from you. Wishing you all the best for the rest of the trip.
Quote:
Climbing up from the Indian side was really tough mainly because it was night plus it was drizzling.
Why the need to trek at 2 am?

Quote:
...he is suffering from acute pulmonary oedema. Also he has gone totally pale so might be pneumonia also.
I just hope he gets better soon.
That's not nice to happen to anyone in a remote place. Please wish him well from the entire Team BHP community.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Why the need to trek at 2 am?

That's not nice to happen to anyone in a remote place. Please wish him well from the entire Team BHP community.
The system is that the batch returning from Tibet and the Batch going to Tibet should cross Lipu at the same time so that the same pony and porters can be used again on both the side. Its a 9 km trek from Nabidhang to Lipu hence we start at 0200 hrs.

I agree, and specially in Tibet where the fascilities are minimal and they treat us Indians as a libility. Luckily we have a doctor in a group who is trying his best to revive him.

regards
Old 28th July 2011, 19:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool to have online inputs from decky....go man we are rooting for you
Old 5th August 2011, 16:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Back at Taklakote after completeting Kailash Parikrama first and then Mansarovar parikrama. 2 days at the banks of mansarovar were horrible, it was wet and cold so basically we were just bundled inside rooms. 3rd day was bright and nice so managed some to get some pics.

Kailash Parikrama was nice, though we had to trek over Dolma la ( abt 19,000/- ft) but still it was not that hard.

Now another 2 days at Taklakote and then back to India. Really looking forward to returning now.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool man.!!! So happy to hear from you and that you have completed the parikrama. Did you do on foot or porters/Pony?

I hope you are tracking the path with some GPS. I used google maps and saw the approximate areas but a track log on google earth would be awesome.
Old 5th August 2011, 17:15   #42
BHPian

Waiting eagerly for another great adventure story! For some people one trip itself would have been the journey of a lifetime but not for deky!
Old 6th August 2011, 23:51   #43
BHPian

Way to go Deky! It was pure misfortune during your earlier trip. But this time you have done it.
Congratulations from us folks at Team BHP!

As watashi75 mentions above, one trip would have made my life, but destiny had other plans for you.
Travel safe and remain safe. Waiting eagerly for a potential blockbuster of a travelog...
Old 7th August 2011, 18:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Last day in Tibet today. Our return journey starts tomorrow, really looking forward to being back in India and with the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Cool man.!!! So happy to hear from you and that you have completed the parikrama. Did you do on foot or porters/Pony?

I hope you are tracking the path with some GPS. I used google maps and saw the approximate areas but a track log on google earth would be awesome.
I have been storing way points on my Nokia gps, but on Indian side it has been very difficult getting sattelite fix due to the thick cloud cover and the narrow valleys. Hopefully the return journey will be a bit better in this regard.

I took a porter, only during Kailash Parikrama but the whole journey has been done on foot by me and a few others. Actually the ascent is so gradual and slow that I did not even need to take Diamox or any other medicine even while crossing Dolma La which is 19,000 + feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Waiting eagerly for another great adventure story! For some people one trip itself would have been the journey of a lifetime but not for deky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Way to go Deky! As watashi75 mentions above, one trip would have made my life, but destiny had other plans for you.
Travel safe and remain safe. Waiting eagerly for a potential blockbuster of a travelog...
Thank you both!!
Old 7th August 2011, 20:36   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

... <and then I run out my smiley quota>

My hats off to you, DK, for an astounding journey that only the very brave and fit can achieve. Wishing you all the best on the return leg, and may the weather gods be kind to you the rest of the way. Really looking forward to those pics now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks