Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 10:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)

Guys,

Would like to know the best eat outs in Kodaikanal, routes from cochin to kodaikanal. We are going during the last weekend of April.

Got the rooms booked at Fern Creek. Bit expensive but guess it worth every money spent. Would like to know if anyone has stayed there before. Also, heard the route through Munnar to kodaikanal. Kindly suggest on that too.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)

Shortest in NH49 via Muvattupuza-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar-Bodi-Theni-Batlagundu-Kodai.

Eatouts at Kodai: I am not aware of separate hotels, but on a windy/rainy day, Chilli-bhajji at the Guna Caves/Coaker's walk or Carrots on the road are fun. Not to mention home made chocolates.

For a royal 5-star treatment, have lunch at Carlton.
Gives you regular 5-star experience.

EDIT: Munnar-Kodai : There was another SH through the hills. Its closed now. The only route is through Theni.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2011 at 10:50.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:18   #3
BHPian

Eatouts at Kodaikanal:

Tibetan Brothers on PT road for some authentic Tibetan food. Awesome Thupka and steamed Pork Momos.

Tava Restaurant (Wednesdays Closed) on PT road for some lipsmacking North Indian food.

Cloud Street Cafe at the end of PT road for some good Wood Fired Pizzas and Chicken sizzlers.

Astoria Veg on Anna Salai near the Bus Stand for some good South Indian breakfast.

Daily Bread on Anna Salai near the Bus Stand for some delicious home made breads, cakes, muffins, rolls and Ice Cream.

Many stalls around the Kodaikanal Lake for some tasty Mirchi Bajjis and masala tea.
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 11:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks dreamdiesel for those suggestions.

@ampere - I have heard that this is much shorter than the usual Palghat-Pollachi-Palani route but how is the road condition of Muvattupuza-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar-Bodi-Theni-Batlagundu-Kodai. I think till Munnar it will good but from Munnar to Kodai how is it? Also, How about the traffic? Can you let me know on that too.

Also, I checked google maps and this route shows 417 kms whereas the Palghat-Pollachi-Palani route shows 327 kms. Did I do anything wrong here?

Last edited by naveen.raju : 7th April 2011 at 11:56.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@ampere - I have heard that this is much shorter than the usual Palghat-Pollachi-Palani route but how is the road condition of Muvattupuza-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar-Bodi-Theni-Batlagundu-Kodai. I think till Munnar it will good but from Munnar to Kodai how is it? Also, How about the traffic? Can you let me know on that too.

Also, I checked google maps and this route shows 417 kms whereas the Palghat-Pollachi-Palani route shows 327 kms. Did I do anything wrong here?
@Naveen, I think Pallani road is being relaid and hence was closed some time back. Hence you still may to have go around and come via Batlagundu. That makes the distances almost the same.

I think NH45 from Theni-Batlagundu is good but dusty. (Others can confirm).
Not sure of the ghat road status from Munnar-Bodi.

As you say one thing is for sure. If you want to drive via plains, Palaght-Pollachi option would better. But I am not aware of the recent status of the Palghat-Pollachi SH. Beyond pollachi NH209 is decent.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks ampere. Will wait for others to comment too.

Any idea of the route from bangalore-kodaikanal?
Old 7th April 2011, 14:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea of the route from bangalore-kodaikanal?
That is an easy one.

Kodai-Batlagundu-Dindugul-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

4L all the way to Bangalore from Dindugul.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think NH45 from Theni-Batlagundu is good but dusty. (Others can confirm).
Bathlagundu - Theni road is in good condition. I had traveled on that route almost 3 weeks back.

Quote:
That is an easy one.

Kodai-Batlagundu-Dindugul-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

4L all the way to Bangalore from Dindugul.
Yeah awesome roads, you can easily maintain 130-150, esp past Salem to Dindigul.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:53   #9
BHPian

Naveen,

What about your Wayanad plans? Change of mind?

If you have no specific route plan in mind, try Munnar-Marayoor-Chinnar route. It is a beautiful route, thru the Chinnar forest. If you stay overnight at Marayoor, and start early in the morning to Chinnar, can spot some wild animals as well. You can reach Kodai probably at the check in time.
Last time I took that route was more than 2 yrs ago. So cannot comment on the road conditions. Narrow winding road down to Marayoor is very scenic too.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@ampere, lloydofcochin - thanks a lot for the inputs.

@Anuj - Yes, sudden change of plans. Wayanad during June. Heard about this resort from tripadvisor where it's rated as no 1 in Kodai. So thought of investing here, all 4 days. Paid the advance too.

I really want to take the Munnar route but confused with the distance as am planning to start Sat early morning. So have to reach by noon. The usual route is a bit boring with dry plains so wanted to try something different. But the time factor is in my mind. Can you let me know the approx kms of this route.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:57   #11
BHPian

Naveen,
I do not have any figures for the distance. (I didn't had the habit of keeping logs then). I was going slowly with many stops and it took me approx 5-6 hours to reach Kodai from Marayoor.
I will start on friday evening from EKM and stay overnight at Munnar, then start early morning to Kodai, if I am booked in such a fine hotel.
I will get a dry plains run of approx 50 KM between Udumalpett and Palani.

I wish they open the good old Topstation route to Kodai.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
Naveen,
I do not have any figures for the distance. (I didn't had the habit of keeping logs then). I was going slowly with many stops and it took me approx 5-6 hours to reach Kodai from Marayoor.
I will start on friday evening from EKM and stay overnight at Munnar, then start early morning to Kodai, if I am booked in such a fine hotel.
I will get a dry plains run of approx 50 KM between Udumalpett and Palani.

I wish they open the good old Topstation route to Kodai.
Thanks for that. I think I will take the good old route through Pollachi-Palani-Kodai for the time being. Expecting another bhpian in Kodai (My BIL and sis )
Old 8th April 2011, 12:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I think Pallani road is being relaid and hence was closed some time back.
Well. We did a quick trip to Kodai during the last week of March. Though the road was closed for the repair works, the locals at the Palani told us that we could travel through the Palani-Kodai ghat road.

There was some road widening and repair works going on, in the ghat section. The drive through the section during the late night was real scary!

ampere, are you referring to this?

Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)-kodaikanal-trip1.jpg

Cochin - Kodaikanal (Eat outs, Route)-kodaikanal-trip2.jpg

Quote:
...but how is the road condition of Muvattupuza-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar-Bodi-Theni-Batlagundu-Kodai.
We're back after a quick trip to Munnar, yesterday. The roads are good and the road is very very less congested, till Munnar.

We bypassed the Muvattupuzha town and Kothamangalam town. It helped us to save a good amount of time too.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:09   #14
BHPian

Naveen, The best route will be Cochin-kothamangalam-Adimaly-Vellathooval-Rajakkad-Poopara-Bodi-Theni-Vatalakund-Kodai.The approximate distance will be about 285 kms and will take about 6-7 hrs.
Old 8th April 2011, 18:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@KlubClass - Is the state of the road like this now? What's your take on this? How bad are the roads and for how long?

@jack33 - When I checked google maps it showed around 400kms from Cochin-Munnar-Kodai and the usual route is around 330kms. Is this right? Am confused now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks