Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2011, 21:32   #1

Pune-Dandeli-Kutta (South Coorg) Road Trip - Best Route?

Hello all,

I will be doing my first ever long road trip next week. We are a group of 6 Adults and 6 children (2 yr to 13 yr) with two cars - Xylo and Innova. Our plan is:
Day 1: Pune - Dandeli using the route which has been discussed well in this forum
Day 2: Dandeli stay over
Day 3: Leave Dandeli early (6AM) for Kutta in South Coorg
Day 4, 5 : Coorg Area
Day 6: Leave for Mysore
Day 7: Mysore
Day 8: One group returns to Pune (With a night halt at Belgaum), other group proceeds to Kodai

Now, my question is about the best route between Dandeli and Kutta. According to Google Map, the nearest route is: Dandeli - Yellapur - Gokarna ( Get on NH17) - Gopal Peth (Leave NH17 and take SH38) - Kuttiyadi - Palikkal - Kattikkulam - Kutta

The second best route is:

Dandeli - Kalghati - Hangal - Shikrapur - Shimoga - Bhadravati - Tarikere - Banavara - Javagal - Hassan - Gorur - Arkalgud - Bettadpur - Periyapatna - Tilmali - Kutta

There is another route from Mangalore - Madikeri, but I understand that it is closed at present.

We would love to to take the NH17 provided the road conditions are good and traffic is manageable.

Can an expert help me with the decision between these two routes? Or is there any other route which is even better. As much possible, our aim is going to be to reach Kutta by sunset. I know it is an ambitious aim, but we are flexible with starting as early as possible (inspite of 6 kids being with us).

Appreciate the expert opinions and Thanks in Advance.
Old 10th April 2011, 21:53   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune-Dandeli-Kutta (South Coorg) Road Trip - Best Route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by car4me View Post
The second best route is:

Dandeli - Kalghati - Hangal - Shikrapur - Shimoga - Bhadravati - Tarikere - Banavara - Javagal - Hassan - Gorur - Arkalgud - Bettadpur - Periyapatna - Tilmali - Kutta
This is a better route, but with some modifications.

Dandeli-Yellapur-Sirsi-Sagar-Shimoga-Tarikere-Hassan-Hunsur-Kutta.

From Hassan, instead of taking the road through Gorur, take the Mysore SH. Its in pretty good shape. At Bilkere, you hit the Hunsur road which will take you to Hunsur and there on to Kutta. I think, this way you should get the best roads.

I will let others comment on the same.

EDIT: This is the route I meant:

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&so...,2.113495&z=10

Last edited by ampere : 10th April 2011 at 22:18.
Old 11th April 2011, 09:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you are keen on taking the NH17 route, then reach NH17 at Ankola via NH63 & Yellapura, then, NH17 till Mangalore, NH48 from there till Sakleshpura (via BC Road, Uppinangadi, Shiradi Ghat), Sanivarasanthe & Somwarpet to Madikeri and then Kutta. In either route (as suggested by ampere), please budget for a full day's drive.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Drive leisurely on the route and take some time to see the famous Marikamba temple at Sirsi. Vadiraj Mutt in Sonda and famous Ikkeri temple on outskirts of Sagar.

While driving from Hunsur to Kutta, you will be passing though Nagarahole Wild life sanctuary. make sure you cross the forest before 6 PM. I am not sure the forest gate will be open after that. Can some one confirm?

If lucky, you may have an encounter with a Tiger or Elephants on this road
Old 11th April 2011, 11:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

I think now there is by-pass for the Nagarhole WLS. I think they have stopped through WLS.
I remember seeing it in TV something back. Have they started this again, or it was not closed at all?
Old 11th April 2011, 12:04   #6

Ampere, HVK and Fauji, Thanks all for your suggestions. I guess we will skip NH17 and go with Ampere's suggested route or there is another alternative I found in the forums, which is

taking NH4 upto Tumkur and then taking Tumkur - Gurur - Nagaveli - Kunigal - Belur - Mandya - Mysore Bypass - Hunsur - Nagarhole NP - Kutta .

According to Google, it would take 10.5 hours (without breaks) by this route. Does it make sense taking this route as a safer bet (since it would be 4 lanes and speeds can be at 100 at least upto Tumkur)?

Thanks Fauji about the timing of NP gates. I hope I find the Nagarhole bypass that ampere is talking about. Else, if we reach that point late, we could go via Madikeri route.

So, one alternative that I think of the route I just mentioned above for speed, and while returning taking the route that Ampere suggested upto Shimoga and then Shimoga - Harihar to take NH4. What do you guys think?
Old 11th April 2011, 13:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

If you want full 4L, then best is from Dandeli hit Dharward via Haliyal and drive all the way till Bangalore. Take the NICE exit and go via Mysore.

The total difference in distance is 120 Km (which I calculated from Google).
(590 vs. 710).
Old 11th April 2011, 18:02   #8

Hi Ampere,

I thought about the alternative of driving all the way until NICE RD and then taking BLR - MYS road to get the most of four lane highways. But then later thought of taking a little bit of compromised and balanced approach to save time and fuel

The goal is to drive as fast as I can (with safety in mind) to reach Kutta before it gets dark. Hope the Tumkur - Mysore road is in good condition (although without dividers).
Old 11th April 2011, 19:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

If you actually see by taking the Tumkur-Maddur access (via Kunigal/Huliyurdurga) you are just saving around 40Km and not more. This is nothing rather than driving on the 4L.

I also checked this and came to conclusion that if you are beyond Haveri on NH4, then it does not save much by diverting from NH4-Mysore-Road (SH17).

Others can comment on this conclusion of mine. But that is where my thoughts lead me to.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Car4me,

I would recommend you to take the route suggested by Ampere via Sirsi and Shimoga. The roads are good and there is virtually no traffic so that you can commfortably average 70 KMs per hour once you reach Sagara. The road from Sagara till Banavara is quite good and so is the strectch between Banavara and Hassan. The roads are quite scenic and summer rains in last two days in the region should make it more green.

You can do Dharwad - Bangalore - Mysore on NH 4 but i personally feel it is not needed and you can take the route via Sagara.

Alternately, you can take the route from Hassan to Sakleshpur and Madikeri via Bisle and then onwards to Kutta as well. I am not sure how these roads are.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

As Fauji, you save on distance and get the reduced route advantage only when you go via Shimoga/Hassan.

Else you do 100-140Km more via 4L. Any deviation from NH4 to Mysore road will not help much.
If you are not confident through SH, then go through 4L. But just that you start very early so as to reach Kutta before dark. (You would doing at least 650Km)
Old 11th April 2011, 21:21   #12

I think I will go with you experts' advice and follow Ampere's suggested route. Since this is my first big road trip (Have done Pune Goa before this), didn't want to take chances on two lane / 1.5 lane roads. But if the roads are clear of traffic as Fauji states, its worth a try.

Thanks guys your valuable advice.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:14   #13
BHPian

I wish to do Pune-Dandeli-Hampi-Badami-Pune next month.

I know NH4 road conditions are excellent.
Worry is
Belgaum -Londa-Dandeli
Dharwad-Hampi
Hampi- Badami
Badami-Sankeshwar

Any BHPian traveled on these sections during/ after monsoons?
Which are the routes to be avoided and which are good.

Please advice.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I wish to do Pune-Dandeli-Hampi-Badami-Pune next month.

I know NH4 road conditions are excellent.
Worry is
Belgaum -Londa-Dandeli
Dharwad-Hampi
Hampi- Badami
Badami-Sankeshwar
1. You don't have to goto Londa for Dandeli. Dharwad-Haliyal-Dandeli.
Road is patchy since this does not go through, ghat very much, it would
not have opened up much.

Route link : Dharwad-Dandeli

2. Dharwad-Hampi: I guess there is no choice but to take the broken NH63.

3. Hampi-Badami:To me the best route here would be: Hampi-Hospet-Koppal-Ron-Badami. (I guess that is the only route also).
Again don't expect very good conditions.

4. Badami-Sankeshwar Don't know the conditions here. Only suggestion to make would be to visit Gokak on the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 11:15   #15
BHPian

@ampere, Thanks a lot.

Looking at the map I can see that there is no service road to directly get on to SH46 at Dharwad. You need to get into town a bit (50 kmph strictly) and then take right turn to go to dandeli road (SH46)

Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks