Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Soraba driving information needed

I am planning to drive down to Soraba this weekend! I wanted to know which is the ideal route to take and the present road condition!

I am going in search of an old Durgaparameshwri temple located in a small village called Jambehalli. I have searched this village on the map and located it near Soraba (Coordinates: 14°24'17"N 75°2'31"E ). Does anyone have more information about this place?
Old 13th April 2011, 15:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Soraba driving information needed

vinboy,

The road is Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Birur - Tarikere - Bhadravathi - Shivamogga - Sagara - Soraba. At Tumkur take bye pass just after Hirehalli flyover. Look for the board "TO SHIVAMOGGA"

The road conditions through out is good except for small strecth between Arsikere and Kadur bit manageable. Enjoy your drive.

I am going to Tirthahalli on Friday and can tell you the latest.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:39   #3
BHPian

Fauji, Thanks for the information! I wanted to know what would be the approximate distance and driving time? can we cover it in one day?

If it is not possible to do it in one day, Sagara would be the right place to halt?
Old 13th April 2011, 21:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
Fauji, Thanks for the information! I wanted to know what would be the approximate distance and driving time? can we cover it in one day?

If it is not possible to do it in one day, Sagara would be the right place to halt?
The distance should be about 375-400kms. Since the roads are good, you should be able to do it in 8-9hrs or 10hrs with a couple of breaks.

RamP!
Old 13th April 2011, 21:46   #5
BHPian

Ah Sorab! Brings back old memories. My grand parents used to live there at one time.

AFAIK Sagara to Soraba is less than 40 km's. The road is via Ulavi. Bangalore to Sagar would be 5-6 hrs depending on the time of the day and your speed.

However, I am doubtful if there are any options to stay in Soraba. Your best bet would be Sagara.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:37   #6
BHPian

Bullinb & prasad14, thank you! if the driving time is 8hrs approx would mean that I will not be able to do it in one day !! I Plan to leave very early in the morning may be at around 4am!!
Old 14th April 2011, 15:56   #7
BHPian

I saw in another thread that you are a night driver like me. If I were you, I would start around 1am from Bangalore. Reach Shimoga by 5:30-6 and crash out for a few hours. Start from Shimoga by say 10 and reach Soraba by 12. Finish off the temple visit by 5-6pm and head back.

BTW, the bus route between Shimoga and Soraba used to be via Shikaripura - Shiralakoppa. I have no idea about the present road conditions etc. but traffic ought to be sparse. It will be about 90km from Shimoga.

Last edited by bullinb : 14th April 2011 at 16:02.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Vinboy,

What car do you have?

I do Bangalore - Shivamogga comfortably in five hours with 20 Min break in my Scorpio. Add another one and half hour from Shivamogga. You should be able to cover the distance comfortably in Seven hours with break.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:40   #9
BHPian

bullinb, I do night driving most of the time but this time my parents would be joining me so taking them at 1am is not possible!

Fauji, I would be driving a figo! I am planning to cover the drive to and fro in the same day. If I get delayed then I would break the journey at Sagara. I read that Varadshree is a decent hotel to halt overnight at Sagara.
Old 17th April 2011, 13:23   #10
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Soraba driving information needed - Update

Update: I went to Soraba and came back on the same day(16th April 2010) the drive took me through some good,decent & bad stretch hence thought it was worthwhile to write an update.

I drove to Soraba via Tumkur-Gubbi-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shivamogga-Sagara. The road condition till Tiptur is good with occasional rough sections. The road within Tiptur is bad and I could assume from the condition that it might be repaired soon as they were repairing the drains along the road.

From Tiptur the road is pleasant to drive (NH 206) with some rough sections here and there. Overall one can drive peacefully.

the drive to Sagara & Soraba too is a pleasant one with narrow winding roads through some beautiful forest along the road.

Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Soraba driving information needed-tosagara1.jpg  

Bangalore - Soraba driving information needed-tosagara2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks