Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 15:56   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad-Bilaspur Route

Hi,

I need to travel to Bilaspur from Hyderabad. Can someone please give me the route direction, including the precise turning points at by passes etc.? I understand the Hyderabad-Nagpur-Raipur is the best option.

One more question. Is the road from Bilaspur to Amarkantak good? Can I drive a Honda City over this road? I would like to visit Amarkantak. I do not intend to stay overnight in Amarkantak.

Thank you.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad-Bilaspur Route

Yes, the route via Raipur is the best. Good roads most of the way.
Traditionally, the roads leading to Amarkantak have been terrible but of late MP has made fantastic strides forward in improving roads. And CG is not far behind either. Hence, road must be good, but have no update. Roads leading to Amarkantak from Shahdol and Jabalpur side are very good.

BTW, Amarkantak has got a nice MPTDC resort.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:24   #3
BHPian

Kumar sir,

I knew it would be you who would reply first. Thank you very much. Since I am going to stay at Bilsapur, overnight stay at Amarkantak will not be necessary, unless of course due to some compelling reason.

Regards.
Old 5th May 2011, 22:47   #4
BHPian

Completed the trip a couple of days back.

Hyderabad-Nagpur road is still undergoing metamorphosis. Remarkable progress is made in the AP side of the road. From Adilabad to Hinganghat and beyond the road work has not been completed. In fact, it has not even started. Looks like the contractor has abandoned the job because the stretch remains the same as that I saw about five months earlier. If one is driving in the night, one has to be extra cautious. The unmarked diversions can be fatal as was seen in at least three accidents involving vehicles overturned into ditches, all taking place in the night. The only solace is the road surface which is smooth throughout, right from Hyderabad.

As you approach Nagpur city, you need to take right under the first flyover you encounter to join the by pass leading to Bhandara Road. One can't miss Chatrapti Chowk. About 12 km on the by pass, and you join Bhandara Road. This stretch is two-lane and full of traffic. After Bhandara you get nice 4-lane all the way to Raipur. The road starts after crossing Wainganga bridge. For the first time I saw a decent restroom on this stretch, a little after the toll booth once you cross the bridge. It is maintained by the road construction company. There are four stretches before reaching Rajnandgaon where the road passes through forest area where again the road is two-way. These stretches are only a few km each.

After Rajnandgaon, beyond Anjora you get the Durg by pass. Likewise, before Raipur, you can drive through Hirapur by pass to join NH 200. This by pass is a complete mess. Trucks and pot holes.

Something that I couldn't comprehend was the NH 200. Raipur to Bilaspur is about 110 km. Somewhere on the way NH 200 becomes NH 30. This stretch is chock-a-block with vehicles. In fact, this is the most time-consuming stretch in the entire journey. Sometimes one has to tag behind a behemoth truck crawling at 10 kmph. There is no way you can overtake any vehicle on this road. There is constant flow of trucks and other vehicles on either side. To top it there are cows. I haven't seen so many cows on any road anywhere. There are hundreds of them. They just stand on the middle of the road or cluster at one side of the road, completely oblivious of passing vehicles. Often vehicles have to veer around them. I was under the impression that drivers have a deferential attitude towards these brooding cows. This view has, however, been altered on my way back early in the morning. There were several carcasses of these animals on the road, obviously knocked down by vehicles. The drive on this stretch is akin to one of a road paved with cobbled stones. If any thing can rattle your vehicle, this stretch can. There aren't any potholes though.

Didn't go to Amarkantak. Postponed the trip due to various reasons, least of all the oppressive heat. Will do it some other time.

The toll on Hyderabad-Bilaspur route was about Rs. 378. Total distance 900 km.

Thanks to HVKumar and others who gave inputs. MapmyIndia was a valuable resource.

Most Viewed