Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 18:18   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
road is bad in several places, so I would suggest avoiding even if it is open
Thanks for the update. Will avoid this in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I too share the same concern, have been driving on Turuvekere-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere stretch very often on weekends.
Yes, this is a beautiful road, just that I was thinking that Sirsi route may be faster option.

It is been a while since I took this route though. Last was some 2 years back, that time Arsikere - Kadur had few potholes, else the route was great all way till Tarikere (Lakkavalli).

Will take this route itself in that case. Thanks.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 18:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks for the update. Will avoid this in that case.

It is been a while since I took this route though.

Will take this route itself in that case. Thanks.
Since you are travelling on a weekend, there will be crowd at the temple. Check the temple and pooja timings as Dhanur Masa starts on 16th of this month. The roads were asphalted between Yadiyur and Tiptur last year, roads are decent enough to maintain good speed till Shivamogga.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:16   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Since you are travelling on a weekend, there will be crowd at the temple.
Thanks for the same. I will be at Gokarna from Sat till Tuesday and the trip will be a leisure one, so will check the temple timing and plan the visit accordingly.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:22   #64
BHPian

We took a trip to Jog just a couple of months back on Arsikere-Kadur-Bhadravathi-Shimoga-Talaguppa route. I documented the trip report here (Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences).

To summarise, the road conditions aren't so bad to have a rethink. Also we went post-monsoon. It hasn't rained much over the past two months in Karnataka. So I don't think the roads would have deteriorated, or did they?
strawhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:22   #65

We are planning a trip to Murudeswar & Goa from Bangalore end of this month. Family trip with 2 adults & 2 kids.
Whats the best suggested route to Murudeswar from Bangalore.
I've been to Murudeswar multiple times earlier and have taken different routes: Shimoga -> Jog -> Honnavara -> Murudeswar; Sirsi -> Kumta -> Honnavara -> Murudeswar; Ranebennur -> Siddapur -> Honnavara -> Murudeswar. But its been more than 2 years since my last trip this way. Hence wanted to check on the road conditions.

Google Maps seems to suggest the Ranebennur route. Anyone tried this route or destination recently? Hows the road conditions? Or any alternate suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by Archie81 : 2nd January 2019 at 12:29. Reason: error entering number of kids
Old 7th January 2019, 10:35   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Does anyone have input on this road work, has it commenced ?

Planning Bangalore - Gokarna on 15 Dec.
Hi mpksuhas - I noticed you posted your experience on another post (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...queries-4.html (Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries)), but that answers my question as well.

Going by your experience, I will stick to the Bangalore - Chitradurga - Ranebanneur - Haveri - Sirsi route to Murudeswar. Thanks!
Old 7th January 2019, 13:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

I completed a trip covering Kollur, Murudeshwara and Gokarna during last week of December. I started from Bangalore at 7:30am and reached Kollur at 4:15pm which included 2 short breaks for refreshments and 1 long break for lunch at Suruchi, Kadur. The route taken to Kollur was Bangalore-Yadiyur-Turuvekere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Ayanur-Hosanagara-Ramachandrapura-Nittur-Kollur. The road conditions are pretty average around Shimoga and improve as we drive towards Ayanur. The last stretch from Nittur-Kollur is full of greenery and suited for a relaxed driving. Road work is in progress on this stretch, driving with caution is advised. I completed the darshan the same evening at Kollur. I stayed back in Kollur at Annapurna Guest House.

I started towards Murudeshwar next day early morning at 3:00am, it was a 70 minute drive and road conditions were good till Baindur. The NH66 road widening work is in progress from Baindur all the way till Gokarna with lot of diversions. I completed the darshan at Gokarna by 9:30 am and started towards Bangalore. I spent about an hour with my family members at Kasarakod beach, Honnavar and another hour at Jog Falls. I took the Gerusoppa-Talaguppa-Sagara-Shimogga-Kadur-Arasikere-Turuvekere-Yadiyur-Bangalore route for return journey. I reached home at 10:00pm with 2 breaks at Kadur and Yadiyur.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th January 2019 at 13:24.
Old 24th December 2019, 18:47   #68
BHPian

We had wonderful road trip to Murudeshwara and Maravanthe few days ago.
Watch the video if you want to know about condition of NH66 and rough idea about the places mentioned.

Old 13th April 2021, 17:32   #69

I am planning to take a trip to Murudeshwar from Bangalore and will start on Thursday afternoon. Google maps shows that the route to take is Bangalore-Tumkur-Sira-Hiriyur-ChitraDurga-Davanagere-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Murudeshwar.

I am wondering if it would be a better scenic route to Drive via Bangalore-Channarayanapattana-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shivamogga-Honnavar-Murudeshwar!

A third alternate is to take the first route mentioned till Chitradurga and drive to Shivamogga from there.

We would take a night halt in between instead of driving all the way through. Please suggest which would be a better place to stay on the route.
Old 16th April 2021, 21:26   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalgk View Post
I am planning to take a trip to Murudeshwar from Bangalore and will start on Thursday afternoon. Google maps shows that the route to take is Bangalore-Tumkur-Sira-Hiriyur-ChitraDurga-Davanagere-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Murudeshwar.

I am wondering if it would be a better scenic route to Drive via Bangalore-Channarayanapattana-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shivamogga-Honnavar-Murudeshwar!

A third alternate is to take the first route mentioned till Chitradurga and drive to Shivamogga from there.

We would take a night halt in between instead of driving all the way through. Please suggest which would be a better place to stay on the route.
All 3 options have their pluses and minuses. If you take Channrayapatna route, then Tarikere-Shivamogga is bad. If you take Chitradurga-Shivamogga, the route midway around Channagiri is bad. Sirsi-Kumta will also have it's fair share of problems and will be longer.

For stops midway, Shivamogga is the best bet and if you take the Sirsi route, then Davanagere. I usually stop at Jog falls on the way to Goa, but not during summers!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:29   #71
BHPian

Any recent road condition update on Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta stretch? Can we take this route to Gokarna? Or Chitradurga - Bankapur - Yellapur - Ankola is prefrable?
Old 25th August 2021, 15:39   #72
BHPian

Both roads are motorable although the Yellapur road is in a better condition.
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 17:53   #73

Planning to go to Gokarna from bangalore. Any suggestions on the route
Old 12th December 2021, 15:17   #74
BHPian

I'm planning to drive to Murudeshwar. But I do not fancy a 9-10 hours drive. I plan to split it so that there is not too much driving in a single day. Which places can I plan to visit and stop overnight during the journey? I plan to stop once while going and once while coming back.
Old 12th January 2022, 20:31   #75

2021 Update on the recommended route

I'll keep this short, Google recommends the Bengaluru-Ranebennur-Honavar-Murudeshwar route. I would not recommend that route if you are travelling with your family and are are in a sedan. It is because of a 3 km stretch after crossing Bhattarekeri and while going towards Honnavar. The road is basically a paved mud road with protruding stones that runs through a dense forest. It has a steep-ish gradient (~20-30 degrees) with hairpin bends that don't have those road-side guards (don't know what they're called).

I controlled the descent by shifting between both brakes. While I enjoyed it thoroughly, my family was quite horrified. In retrospect, that was quite risky and it could have easily resulted in a mishap any sane person would avoid.

However, if you are of the adventurous type, have the experience and are skilled enough to manage this - then you will LOVE IT.

Otherwise the road is near perfect, especially until Ranebennur. In-stead of Bangalore-Ranebennur-Bhattarakeri-Honavar-Murudeshwar, I would recommend Bangalore-Belur-Kundapura-Murudeshwar (for safe, family trips in sedan).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks