Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 20:53   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama031087 View Post
Otherwise the road is near perfect, especially until Ranebennur. In-stead of Bangalore-Ranebennur-Bhattarakeri-Honavar-Murudeshwar, I would recommend Bangalore-Belur-Kundapura-Murudeshwar (for safe, family trips in sedan).
The other option is : Agumbe-Someshwar-Ampar-Kundapur - Murdeshwar
Look out for the best option to Agumbe. There are some.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:07   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other option is : Agumbe-Someshwar-Ampar-Kundapur - Murdeshwar
Look out for the best option to Agumbe. There are some.
Totally agree. This route is scenic and has pleasent twists and turns
Old 22nd April 2022, 17:46   #78
BHPian

Folks,

Planning a trip to Murdeshwar from BLR and onwards to Gokarna.

What is the best option these days to reach Murdeshwar from BLR?

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 18:43   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
What is the best option these days to reach Murdeshwar from BLR?
Just a couple of weeks ago, I drove past Ankola (very close to Murudeshwar), and I took the usual Hubli-Ankola road as shown in the map below.

Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries-routemap.jpg

This is an excellent road and I was able to reach Ankola quite fast, well ahead of Google's ETA. Hubli-Ankola road is in a good shape and is an enjoyable road to drive on. I would recommend this road if you want the fastest road.

The longer (and a bit slower), but more scenic option is this: Bangalore-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Honnavar-Murudeshwar. This road is also in a very good shape and is quite a lovely road to enjoy driving on, but may take more time than the Hubli route.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 20:21   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama031087 View Post

2021 Update on the recommended route

I'll keep this short, Google recommends the Bengaluru-Ranebennur-Honavar-Murudeshwar route. I would not recommend that route if you are travelling with your family and are are in a sedan. It is because of a 3 km stretch after crossing Bhattarekeri and while going towards Honnavar. The road is basically a paved mud road with protruding stones that runs through a dense forest. It has a steep-ish gradient (~20-30 degrees) with hairpin bends that don't have those road-side guards (don't know what they're called).
Has anyone tried this route recently and have any update on the above mentioned stretch of paved mud road stretch? Traveling this weekend to Murudeshwar in a hatchback and hence thought to check since Google still shows this as the quickest route Thanks in advance
Old 11th May 2022, 22:01   #81
BHPian

I completed the Murudeshwar trip last weekend. As we were on a tight timeline with family, decided to go via Shivamogga based on recent feedback on road conditions from @SharathScorp and @gypsyFreak on the 'Bangalore to Shimoga route' thread. The food options suggested by @SharathScorp came in handy too.

I took the following route
Bangalore - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Shivamogga - Sagar - Talaguppa - Jog falls - Honnavar - Murudeshwar

Roads are in good shape all the way with around 45 mins of ghat section twisties.

Returned the same route though given the late start back from Murudeshwar, halted at Shivamogga. The Royal Orchid stay was a steal for the price with unexpected 5-star service across the hotel.
Old 13th May 2022, 10:58   #82
BHPian

Hello

I'm planning a trip from Pune to Chikmagalur and then Chikmagalur to Goa and back to Pune.

My question was what is the best route from Chikmagalur to South Goa?

1. Chikmagalur -> Agumbe -> Murdeshwar -> Gokarna -> South Goa

or

2. Chikmagalur -> Shivamogga -> Gokarna -> South Goa

Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 18:55   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
My question was what is the best route from Chikmagalur to South Goa?

1. Chikmagalur -> Agumbe -> Murdeshwar -> Gokarna -> South Goa

or

2. Chikmagalur -> Shivamogga -> Gokarna -> South Goa
Both of these are equally good roads, and both are almost same distance and time. I am not able to say which one is the "best" option. I would say take either and you should be fine.

Both of these roads are in good condition (except for some small bad patches here and there), and are quite scenic in their own ways. Both are my favorite roads to drive on and I do frequent trips on these roads.

The only reason to prefer one over the other would be if you want to visit some specific scenic spots on the way. For example, in your first route, you could stop at the famous Maravanthe beach. That is a nice spot to pull over and enjoy the location and the fresh air. On the other hand, if you take the second route, Jog Falls is on your way and you could stop there. These could be the reasons to choose one over the other.

But from pure driving point of view, and from time and distance point of view, both options are almost exactly equal.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 10:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Both of these are equally good roads, and both are almost same distance and time. I am not able to say which one is the "best" option. I would say take either and you should be fine.

Both of these roads are in good condition (except for some small bad patches here and there), and are quite scenic in their own ways. Both are my favorite roads to drive on and I do frequent trips on these roads.

The only reason to prefer one over the other would be if you want to visit some specific scenic spots on the way. For example, in your first route, you could stop at the famous Maravanthe beach. That is a nice spot to pull over and enjoy the location and the fresh air. On the other hand, if you take the second route, Jog Falls is on your way and you could stop there. These could be the reasons to choose one over the other.

But from pure driving point of view, and from time and distance point of view, both options are almost exactly equal.
Thanks a lot Dr AD, this surely helps.

I will mostly then take the Maravanthe beach route!

Appreciate your feedback.
maverickxx2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 15:41   #85

What is the recommended route from Bengaluru to Gokarna. Travelling with family and plan to leave at 4:30 am from Bengaluru and visit Jog falls on the way to Gokarna
Old 16th February 2023, 12:00   #86
sud
BHPian

Any suggestions on the route to take from Ranebennur to Mrudeshwar? I would be travelling in the night.

I am considering following 3 options:
1. Ranebennur - Shikaripur - Anandpura - Sagara - Jog - Honnavar - Mrudeshwar
2. Ranebennur - Shrilakoppa - Sagara - Jog - Honnavar - Mrudeshwar
3. Ranebennur - Shrilakoppa - Siddapur - Honnavar - Mrudeshwar

I am thinking to take option 2. Any updates on recent road conditions will be helpful.
Old 20th February 2023, 13:52   #87
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Any suggestions on the route to take from Ranebennur to Mrudeshwar? I would be travelling in the night.

I am thinking to take option 2. Any updates on recent road conditions will be helpful.
I went via option 2. The stretch from Shrilakoppa to Ullavi (around 25kms) the roads are bad. But otherwise the rest of the stretch is all good (barring some minor construction works).
Old 21st February 2023, 23:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post

I would say 3rd option is the best option considering you drive towards Mavinagundi from Siddapur and drive to Honnavar. If you directly type Siddapur to Honnavar google maps would show you a route via Kyadagi and Hirebail which is not suggested for any vehicle as its in worst possible stage.

I would say you can stick to the route

Ranebennur - Halageri - Hirekerur - Shiralakoppa - Soraba - Siddapur - Mavinagundi - Honnavar - Murudeshwar
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed