Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 08:28   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I think this itinerary is very much doable. What route are you planning to take from Jog falls to Sringeri?
Addy, But wont he be covering the same NH206 both ways? Instead cant he do a roundtrip?

Also thanks for that detail on that place. So it seems there are two places with the same name?
Old 15th July 2011, 10:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Addy, But wont he be covering the same NH206 both ways? Instead cant he do a roundtrip?

Also thanks for that detail on that place. So it seems there are two places with the same name?

Not necessarily. Yes, it will be NH 206 all the way for the onward journey. For the return journey, it will be NH 206 till Sagar and then he will deviate to the interior SHs (depending on the route he takes from Jog to Sringeri). Finally he can take the NH 48 back to Bangalore.

There should be lots of places with identical names in Karnataka alone. Another example is a mountain called Balekallu Gudda. This is located in the Charmadi Ghats. There is another Balekallu Gudda that I know of which is located in the Bisle ghat.

A picture of Jenukallu Gudda.

The peak on the left is called Deepadakallu gudda and the one on the right is Jenukallu Gudda
Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries-og-133.jpg
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 11:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
If thats the case you can halt at Yellapur (Banana County)

@flycatcher,

Take a look at this link. This talks of some thing near Ujjire!

Treks and travels: Jenukallu
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...akleshpur.html
SHANDE: Jenukallu Gudda: less Trek more Hike
looks like an interesting place another one goes in to the TODO list
Old 15th July 2011, 12:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this itinerary is very much doable. What route are you planning to take from Jog falls to Sringeri?
Planning to take NH till Sagara and then descend downwards.

Quote:
Yeah, but I plan to do Murudeshwar first because its nearer. If I do Gokarana first, I will spend too much time travelling. When I did the circuit a month back, it took me 9 hours to do Bangy-Murudeshwar, at a very leisurely pace with lot of stops. So sticking to this order.

Also while coming back from Halebeedu,what do you suggest?

1) Go to Arisekere, take NH 206.
2) Come to Hassan. take NH 48
Old 15th July 2011, 13:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Planning to take NH till Sagara and then descend downwards.
There are a few routes you could take. I have no idea about the road conditions though.

1. Sagar-Anandapuram-Ripponpet-Humchadakatte-Konanduru-Thirthalli-Koppa-Sringeri

2. Sagar-Hosanagara-Nagara-Thirthalli-Koppa-Sringeri

3. Sagar-Holebagilu-Take the ferry-Nittur-Nagara-Thirthalli-Koppa-Sringeri

4. Similar to route 3, you can take another ferry to Sigandur and from there go to Nittur and then continue from there. This is quite long though.

Quote:
Also while coming back from Halebeedu,what do you suggest?

1) Go to Arisekere, take NH 206.
2) Come to Hassan. take NH 48
You can decide for yourself. Since you would have driven on the NH 206 while going to Murdeshwara, you can try coming back on NH 48 via Hassan.

The approach to both the highways is good from Halebidu.

Halebidu-Banavara (30 kms) road is in decent shape. You reach NH 206 in Banavara.

Halebidu-Hagare (12 kms) road is also in decent shape. You will join Hassan-Belur road in Hagare. From Hagare, it is good roads all the way to Bangalore.

Quote:
PS: Any info on the reported naxal activity on the ghats? Are they safe to travel?
Just saw this. I don't think this has been a problem for travelers. So, no need to worry at all

Last edited by addyhemmige : 15th July 2011 at 13:10. Reason: added quote
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 13:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a few routes you could take. I have no idea about the road conditions though.

1. Sagar-Anandapuram-Ripponpet-Humchadakatte-Konanduru-Thirthalli-Koppa-Sringeri

2. Sagar-Hosanagara-Nagara-Thirthalli-Koppa-Sringeri

3. Sagar-Holebagilu-Take the ferry-Nittur-Nagara-Thirthalli-Koppa-Sringeri

4. Similar to route 3, you can take another ferry to Sigandur and from there go to Nittur and then continue from there. This is quite long though.

Thanks for the route.

Just saw this. I don't think this has been a problem for travelers. So, no need to worry at all
Ahh, That's comforting to know.

And any good places in Gokarna, I don't want to go to Namaste Cafe. The place is simply not worth it.
Old 17th July 2011, 22:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Today's news says persistent heavy rains in west coasts. My friend who currently is in Mangalore says its been raining continuously. So, I think I will have to postpone the drive unless the rain subsides in the coming week.

What other places can we visit in 5-days? How about Kanyakumari-Dhanushkodi? The eastern coasts? Is it doable?
Old 19th July 2011, 12:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go head with your plan. You will love rains and it will be real fun.

Rain will take a break in couple of days. Just after rain you will love that area.

Ravi.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:05   #39
BHPian

A friend of mine wants to visit Gokarna and also visit jog falls. Does anyone have the latest info on road conditions from bangalore-shimoga-jog falls-Gokarna? Are there any better alternative routes?
Old 26th December 2011, 21:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
A friend of mine wants to visit Gokarna and also visit jog falls. Does anyone have the latest info on road conditions from bangalore-shimoga-jog falls-Gokarna? Are there any better alternative routes?

Been to Jog a month back on college trip. Hardly any water, not worth going there at this point. The roads to Jog were pretty bad. Dunno about Gokarna.
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:39   #41
BHPian

Bangalore to Murudeshwar -- best route

Hi,

Planning a trip to Murudeshwar and then to Gokarna and then South Goa starting 24 Dec. With Wife and 1 yr old. Will be joining friends in Murudeshwar and will continue the trip later.

Googled for route and it gave the shortest to be BLR-Davangere-Ranibennur-Sirsi-Almost Gokarna-Murudeshwar. Considering this is expected to take about 8 hrs in total I decided to break the journey (as I am traveling with a 1 yr old). Seeing this route, thought of stopping at Davangere and stay over and then continue next day early morning.

Itinerary as follows:

24 Dec:
- Leave early, around 6, towards Davangere. Arrive around Noon, find a hotel and check in. Chill for the rest of the day and stay there overnight.

Quest: We do not have anything to do full day so is there any place enroute that we can visit or anything in and around Davangere? Or is there a better place for the overnight stay? More scenic and pretty place? Open for suggestions

Quest: Is that the best route or should the route via Shimoga be taken? If yes then are there any sightseeing places enroute on that route? Also if is the alternate route then where should we halt for the night assuming we do not want to travel in 1 stretch or if the baby is cranky and we need to stop?

Suggestions most welcome. Breakfast and lunch options will be most useful based on the route.

Thanks a lot guys!

Vikram
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Murudeshwar -- best route

Davanagere route is likely to take the least amount of time because it's part of the Golden Quadrilateral. However, availability of restaurants with clean toilets is a hit or miss.

Shimoga route is shorter, but it will slow you down because it's a 2 lane highway most of the time, and traffic is heavy. But there are good restaurants (with clean rest rooms) on the way at Yadiyur (Swati Delicacy), Channarayapatna (Adyar Ananda Bhavan/Kamat), Kadur (Suruchi) and Shimoga.

I'd suggest you take the Shimoga route while going, and Davanagere route coming back. Not sure if sightseeing is a good idea. It's probably best to get as close to the destination as possible, and continuing the journey next day. You can reach Murudeshwara early and relax once you get there.

If leaving at 6 AM with the infant is difficult, you could leave after having breakfast at home. Stop over at Shimoga.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post

24 Dec:
- Leave early, around 6, towards Davangere. Arrive around Noon, find a hotel and check in. Chill for the rest of the day and stay there overnight.
expect progress to be a little slow as all the toll booths are going to be jammed with holiday traffic

Quote:
Quest: Is that the best route or should the route via Shimoga be taken? If yes then are there any sightseeing places enroute on that route? Also if is the alternate route then where should we halt for the night assuming we do not want to travel in 1 stretch or if the baby is cranky and we need to stop?
Shimoga route is good too,but not 4 laned as the NH4 route till Haveri.You can visit Jog falls enroute to Murudeshwar,though I doubt there is any waterfall at this time of the year.You can stay at Shimoga-Hotel Jewel Rock,Royal Orchid.

Davangere-Sankama & Srigandha Residency are reccomended.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 22nd December 2016 at 13:03.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:18   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Googled for route and it gave the shortest to be BLR-Davangere-Ranibennur-Sirsi-Almost Gokarna-Murudeshwar.
This detailed post by DrHoneycake should give you more information on the Haveri route. I would take this mainly for the benefit of 4 lane roads for 300 Kms. With the CR Patna route, its less than 150 kms of 4 lane.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4107898

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd December 2016 at 13:22.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 17:21   #45
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Murudeshwar - Gokarna : Route Queries

Hi all, I'm reviving an old thread and I hope I get replies from esteemed members/tourers on the forum.
I intend to drive to Murudeshwara from Bangalore this weekend. I would be travelling with female passengers and hence hygienic pit stops are of prime importance.

Now, here's the catch : It would be a night drive (11 PM to 9 AM types - end to end). The timing is not negotiable. I'll ensure that I'm well rested and all of that, but please suggest me the best route where I can get hygienic pit stops often (clean toilets, decent food).

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks