Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 09:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Guruvayoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even I would say it would be better to take the route via Uludurpet/Attur. But eating options are limited. There is an A2B at Ulundurpet exit from GST.

Is going through Palaghat the best option? I remember Ranjit you mentioned about :

Pollachi-Kollendode-Pazhyanur-Wadakancherry-Kecheri-Choondal-GVR. Is it any better?

Route Link
I would rather take the simpler routes than get into interior off the main highways in a State I may not know much about, which is why sticking to NH47 till Palakkad and then taking an excellent road through Ottapalam may be the best route.
Old 19th April 2012, 11:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

I did Chennai to Guruvayoor twice in the last one year. My recommendation would be,

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi-Palghat-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvaayur. This would be the best route to take to reach Guruvaayur from Chennai. 6 Laning is in progress between Chennai-Krishnagiri and I won't recommend it for a smooth drive.

If you have any questions on this route, let me know.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 12:34   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

From Palakkad to Guruvayoor my recomendation would be Palakkad- Ottapalem-Pattambi-Guruvayoor route. I did it last week after being suggested against taking other routes by everyone. The road is in superb condition and traffic sparse. Its a two lane road and a pleasure to drive. Google map : Palakkad, Kerala to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

Regarding Salem- Coimbatore strech, last weeks update is : 1. Salem - Chengapalli ~ 100 kms of superb 4 laned road with sparse traffic. Can cover it in 1hr 20 mins.
2. Chengapalli- Coimbatore Byepass start ~55Kms- Surface condition OK, however deviations and lane merging due to 4 laning work. Also you have to cross Avinashi town. Took about 1 hr 10mins to cross.
3. Coimbatore Bypass Start - End ~25 Kms- Two laned, good surface, arrow straight- Can cover in 20mins.
4. Coimbatore Bypass End- Palakkad town start ~ 35Kms- 4 laning work going on till KL border, also surface in bad shape. Once crossing in to KL, surface condition improves, bus/ truck traffic. Took around 50 mins.
Old 21st April 2012, 15:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I did Chennai to Guruvayoor twice in the last one year. My recommendation would be,

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Pollachi-Palghat-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kecheri-Choondal-Guruvaayur. This would be the best route to take to reach Guruvaayur from Chennai. 6 Laning is in progress between Chennai-Krishnagiri and I won't recommend it for a smooth drive.

If you have any questions on this route, let me know.
Thanks for the info

Anyway wanted to know driving time since i plan to start at 430/5am from chennai-tambaram-athur-salem route total distance is approx 570km.

My visit is on 2nd may to guruvayoor so hopefully pooram is over by then.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 21st April 2012, 15:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Even I would say it would be better to take the route via Uludurpet/Attur. But eating options are limited. There is an A2B at Ulundurpet exit from GST.

Is going through Palaghat the best option? I remember Ranjit you mentioned about :

Pollachi-Kollendode-Pazhyanur-Wadakancherry-Kecheri-Choondal-GVR. Is it any better?

Route Link
Hi Ampere

That was a very helpful info but do feel that palghat being my native would like to travel through the town. Secondly what is the drive time from Chennai to Guruvayoor

cheers
Prasad
Old 21st April 2012, 17:44   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi Ampere

That was a very helpful info but do feel that palghat being my native would like to travel through the town. Secondly what is the drive time from Chennai to Guruvayoor

cheers
Prasad
My summary would be the following:

- Salem is about 340 km. You should be there in about 4-5 hours if you can exit out of Chennai early morning.
- Salem-Avinashi is about 120km. That you should cover in 1.5 to 2 hours max.
- Avinashi-Walayar-Palakkad and beyond is the region of uncertainty esp. the border.
- Palakkad to GVR is about 100km, That should be at least 2-3 hours depending on traffic density.
- Add time for breaks.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Palakkad to GVR is about 100km, That should be at least 2-3 hours depending on traffic density.
Took me 1 hour 45 minutes to cover the 88 kms from Guruvayoor to Palakkad on Easter Sunday afternoon. I travelled via Kunnamkulam-Perumbilavu-Pattambi-Ottappalam. (Traffic wasn't too heavy). The road was mostly excellent except for the Perumbilavu-Pattambi stretch which was reasonably ok, but not really butter-smooth like the rest of the route.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:11   #53
BHPian

Re: Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai

Folks thanks for the info.Hope that my drive will be in good stead. Also guruvayoor is a good drive hopefully from the feedback given. Initially thought the drive time will be around 8hrs but does not seem so seeing the road condition mentioned

Cheers
Prasad
Old 26th April 2012, 13:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks thanks for the info.Hope that my drive will be in good stead. Also guruvayoor is a good drive hopefully from the feedback given. Initially thought the drive time will be around 8hrs but does not seem so seeing the road condition mentioned

Cheers
Prasad
8hrs is going to be very difficult.Budget for a 10-12 hr drive.
Old 26th April 2012, 16:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
8hrs is going to be very difficult.Budget for a 10-12 hr drive.
Thanks Ranjith

Seems that way only. Given the fact of info coming on road conditions better factor in some extra time too.

cheers
PRasad
Old 26th April 2012, 17:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info

Anyway wanted to know driving time since i plan to start at 430/5am from chennai-tambaram-athur-salem route total distance is approx 570km.

My visit is on 2nd may to guruvayoor so hopefully pooram is over by then.

Cheers
Prasad
I once started from Chennai at 4.30PM and reached Guruvayoor at 3.45AM in the morning with breaks at Tindivanam for Coffee, Dindigul for dinner (1 hr. break), another short break at Pollachi.
Old 14th May 2013, 20:40   #57
BHPian

Chennai-Guruvayoor-Wayanad

Folks,
I am planning a road trip: Chennai -> Guruvayoor -> Wayanad -> Chennai. The plan is to start early from Chennai and reach Guruvayoor by evening. Have darshan either the same day or next morning and around noon drive to Wayanad to reach by evening. After 2 days start early morning from Wayanad and reach Chennai by night.

The current route chosen based on similar threads are:
Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor
From Guruvayoor I have two options to Wayanad. One is thru Calicut on NH212 and another thru Perinthalmanna in Nilambur/Gudalur road. Not sure which one is good. I am staying in Meenmutty heights resort which is in Vythiri-Gudallur Hwy/ SH 29 (25 km from NH212 and 35 km from Gudalur Road). Google maps show almost same distance and timings for both routes.
Wayand-Sulthan Bathery-Mysore (NH212)-Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Chennai

Has anyone driven this stretch lately? What are the road conditions? Any suggestions for alternate routes?

Also, any pointers to pit stops for food in these stretches are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by shenbag63 : 14th May 2013 at 20:41.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:14   #58
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai-Guruvayoor-Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenbag63 View Post
The current route chosen based on similar threads are:
Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor
If GST is an easier access to you, then you should try :

Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Salem-CBE-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Kunnamkulam-GVR.

Or if you like SH you can also try :

Trichy-Dindigul-Odanchatram-Dharapuram-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazahayannur-Wadakkancherry-GVR
Route Link

But from an efficiency and timing point of view 4-lane is faster.

For breaks 4-lane has enough options.
NH46 : Aryas at Pallikoda, A2B Thoppur.
NH45 has A2B at Ulundurpet.

Quote:
From Guruvayoor I have two options to Wayanad. One is thru Calicut on NH212 and another thru Perinthalmanna in Nilambur/Gudalur road. Not sure which one is good. I am staying in Meenmutty heights resort which is in Vythiri-Gudallur Hwy/ SH 29 (25 km from NH212 and 35 km from Gudalur Road).
Take the road via Nilambur. Its very scenic and in good condition. GVR-Kunnamkulam-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Meppadi. Diversion to Meppadi comes before you reach Gudalur.

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2013 at 21:17.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:31   #59
BHPian

Thanks ampere. I am closer to Bangalore highway than to GST. So I'll take the option thru Salem as I drove in this stretch a few times before till Palakkad.

Also, I understand the Nilambur route from GVR to Wayanad is the better option. Will go with that.

Last edited by shenbag63 : 14th May 2013 at 21:41.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:40   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenbag63 View Post
Thanks ampere. I am closer to Bangalore highway than to GST. So I'll take the option thru Salem as I drove in this stretch a few times before till Palakkad.
Then no issues. Just that the stretch till Kanchi is quite bad for a 4-lane and on top, any delay gets all the buses on the road! Apart from that absolutely no issues. In spite of the diversion, you manage a decent pace. Instead for 4AM, if you can manage a 3AM start, I would say its even better. The road is quiet and you find absolute very less traffic. You can easily make almost up to Krishnagiri till the world wakes up. And you would be in time for a good break fast. And if you can stretch till Salem, then splurge at GRT. That would be stretch a bit too much, but its possible. The price is a yummy breakfast!

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2013 at 21:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks